Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

7 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Lundstram?   Seriously?   He's not even an improvement on our bench.

I think it will be Davis as backup with Traore as third choice.   Traore will play on the wing unless both Ollie and Davis are injured.   Everyone gave Ollie MOTM today even though the didn't score because he did all the things Davis does when he doesn't score.  Deano will have no hesitation to put Davis in if Ollie is out.

I think Lundstram is the perfect fit. If you only go by his last performances I kind of understand you, but his struggles this season is imo mainly down to him not signing a new contract and Chris Wilder only giving him a bit part role until he signs an extension.

He was very good last season, one of the best players in a Sheff Utd that surprised many. I think we need a back up to McGinn. Lundstram is very similar, great work rate, running all game, is a unit and brings a lot of grit and fight, he is also quite good technically and gets in good positions and scores goals. And as I pointed out after our win against Sheff Utd in September, he actually outfought and outran McGinn that game. As his contract is up we could get him faily cheap. He would be a perfect option to have on the bench and competing for McGinn, if we bring in a high profile MF it could be disruptive, I want Luiz and McGinn to continue being our first choice. But I want a good alternative on the bench. Lundstram would be a big upgrade on Hourihane and would give us more options and more depth.

Why would you not want another McGinn on the bench giving us depth and alternatives, especially when we could get him on the cheap?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

They won't buy a striker because Wesley is coming back.

Because AEG, Hause and Traore have played well and Barkley and Trez will return from injury soon, and our position in the table and relative safety, I think it's possible there will be no incoming January transfers.

I agree, I think a loan or acquiring a veteran is a possibility if Wesley is a way off match fitness. If he's close, then no striker will come in.

For the future, I think we need another wide forward/winger, potentially like Ollie who can play both. But to go and buy one in January would be a) silly expensive b) not really needed and c) would only harm the form of the players who have potentially improved most in AEG, Trez and Traore. When Barkley is back, those three are all fighting for one spot (Jack goes back wide). If we have a serious shot at Europe we'll need one next year but not now.

(And the credit for that goes to those three, as this was pretty much the only position I wanted us to strengthen at the end of the last window)

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Because AEG, Hause and Traore have played well and Barkley and Trez will return from injury soon, and our position in the table and relative safety, I think it's possible there will be no incoming January transfers.

Depends really, if it looks like we can still achieve top 6 this season especially after our next two fixtures I can see us making that push in the market. If we drop off then yeah I agree mid table will still be a fantastic season and no real point spending millions in Jan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Been reading up on Koopmeiners and watching highlight reels and IMO he appears to be exactly what we need as team. His versatility and eye and accuracy with long balls is perfect for our play and takes pressure off Mings hoof balls for example. https://smarterscout.com/articles/teun-koopmeiners

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/player-analysis-teun-koopmeiners/

Yeah, ive only seen a little bit of him. But he seems very assured, could be quite technical and he also has (some) height which between Dougie and McGinn, we don't have much of at the minute in the middle - he's not massive but he's got a few inches on the other two. From his stats it also looks like he can get forward too, I suppose in the way that Dougie does - he's been reigned in a bit this year and it's been great for him - but can never be a bad thing to have a player who likes a pop from the edge of the box

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Yeah, ive only seen a little bit of him. But he seems very assured, could be quite technical and he also has (some) height which between Dougie and McGinn, we don't have much of at the minute in the middle - he's not massive but he's got a few inches on the other two. From his stats it also looks like he can get forward too, I suppose in the way that Dougie does - he's been reigned in a bit this year and it's been great for him - but can never be a bad thing to have a player who likes a pop from the edge of the box

Deliberate.....

happy kenneth williams GIF

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Depends really, if it looks like we can still achieve top 6 this season especially after our next two fixtures I can see us making that push in the market. If we drop off then yeah I agree mid table will still be a fantastic season and no real point spending millions in Jan. 

(Not sure why that's quoting me as was maqroll but there we go)

I agree with him on those positions, no striker (unless Wes is a while off) and no AM (it'd really hurt the improved form of AEG, Traore and Trez to suddenly throw another in the mix) unless there's a star available at a great price it feels a silly (and expensive) risk to take mid season.

But I think we need a CM and a LB. Particularly as you say if we can make a serious push for Europe. If McGinn, Luiz or Targett had time out, we'd have no chance at keeping it up with extended runs for Hourihane (who I like), Nakamba and Taylor

If Engels moves on we might need another CB but I'd rather buy another in the Konsa mould (or Tuanzebe) in the summer. If Lansbury or Guilbert (😩)  go it probably just heightens the need for the positions I mentioned earlier than needing a replacement for them directly.(But would add a RB to the list for summer, Elmo can't play forever). So I think a CM, LB and potentially a CB and I'm happy we can continue pushing

AZ must get an absurd amount of penalties. Koopermeiners has already scored 4 in the league (counting todays) and 2 in the Europa cups and missed 3 this season :D 

And he scored 10 penalties last season.

Have to think there won't be many transfers within the league this year. I can't see the bottom 5 selling anybody regardless of price that are any good. And between Us, Soton, Everton, Wolves and Leeds there are a lot of clubs on the up or with good feeling there that I can't see many players wanting to move on from.

So I think there are attainable players at Newcastle, Arsenal (Given their 'need' for cash albeit not their top players), Palace and West Ham.

Goes against what I've been saying about wide players, but I wonder if we could nab Saint-Maximin from Newcastle, his forms been nowhere near as good, must be hating BruceBall and Ashley is always willing to sell. Is he exactly what we need? Nah, but I loved watching him play last season

7 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

but I wonder if we could nab Saint-Maximin from Newcastle, his forms been nowhere near as good, must be hating BruceBall and Ashley is always willing to sell. Is he exactly what we need? Nah, but I loved watching him play last season

iirc Maxim has recently signed a new contract?

Also, the money that would be needed to sign him would probably be literally insane currently.

Although he is good, we are probably best looking elsewhere currently.

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

What did you think about his performance against us in September?

Seem him a lot more than that and he's rubbish. I could care less about a 1 off game against us. What do you think about his performances and Blades form this season? 

3 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

What did you think about his performance against us in September?

He did well last season but this season has really shown how much of Sheffield players massively over achieved last year.

For next few windows it's all about quality now. 2-3 signings who can turn us into top 6 finishers like Carew and Ashley Young did in 2007. One a proven international striker who'd played in many top leagues, other one of best young players in championship and who'd played a few games in premier league. Similar player to him is someone like Lookman who I think would be a realistic target if Fulham go down.

Someone mentioned Tielemens a few pages back. That's a brilliant example of club signing a player when they were mid table and he's helped Leicester move into being top 6 regulars in last 18 months. They got him from Monaco so you'd think with what's happening in French league we'll be looking at some decent players from top 6 clubs there next month particularly as we've already signed Traore who was semi regular at usual top 4 club from that league.

Ross Barkley is another obvious one to get in full time as he meets the criteria.

It's all about improving the first 11 and then the squad becomes much stronger. I can see a time in near future where Mings, McGinn and Trez aren't automatic starters and have to take their turn to sit on the bench for periods during the season so then our bench has some decent impact options on it.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

I keep saying it but I think up and coming young Championship players are what we should be adding in January. It’s what Leicester did very successfully in the past and it’s a great way to add depth and build long term.

We’ve picked up the likes of Konsa and Cash and there will be other gems like that out there.

• Like 3

Another one to throw into the mix....Moussa Dembele. Was massively rated a year ago but has been largely bench by Lyon in last 6 months so his value must've dropped a fair bit as I assume his contract is running down. Think that would be a smart pick up given he's already played for Fulham and Celtic so like Traore already knows what the U.K is about football and lifestyle wise.

Edited by VillaChris

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Another one to throw into the mix....Moussa Dembele. Was massively rated a year ago but has been largely bench by Lyon in last 6 months so his value must've dropped a fair bit as I assume his contract is running down. Think that would be a smart pick up given he's already played for Fulham and Celtic so like Traore already knows what the U.K is about football and lifestyle wise.

Excellent player, not followed him since leaving Celtic but always thought he was very talented and destined for big things. Surprised that he has been benched, what’s the story there?