Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

I think four points will be a decent return from the next two, really could do with winning the Burnley game though after losing three games in a row at Villa Park, of course no doubt some bubble head will disagree.

10 minutes ago, useless said:

I think four points will be a decent return from the next two, really could do with winning the Burnley game though after losing three games in a row at Villa Park, of course no doubt some bubble head will disagree.

Villa does not do draws.

Let's get 6 :)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

If we win against Brighton and West Brom, I think we’ll be probably safe by then. Huge games coming.

such an incredible turn of fortunes for us. still absolutely buzzing that all being well we get to enjoy more days out as a premiership club next season when things are back to normal

• Like 1

10 hours ago, useless said:

Well obviously July 11th is over a month later than June 7th, in fact June 7th was before the season's restart, so I must have seen something after restart leading up to the last four games that made me believe that we could still stay up and write the memorable sentence... Villa. Not. Yet. Done, or maybe it was just the fact we'd been so poor for so long that surely we must have been due a good spell.

I actually thought we might have won the last five games, that didn't happen, but we did a lot better than most would have predicted, well beaten by Man United, but beat Palace and Arsenal, and were unlucky not to win against West Ham and Everton.

Logical but we actually took less points from our first 6 games after lockdown (2 draws, 4 defeats) than the final 6 games before March 10th (1 win, 1 draw, 4 defeats). Pretty sure a few of us were saying we could beat Arsenal for months but were being dismissed as Aubameyang was scoring a million goals or something....I'll refrain from finding that quote from the dead.:lol:

I just don't get why some of us are being branded as arrogant for thinking we can finish 8th or 9th this season and we should be constantly supporting likes of Leicester and Southampton to keep on beating the bottom 4 teams even though we're miles clear of them. I said last week I'd rather Leicester didn't get that late goal v Sheffield United as we'd now be just 4 points off them with two games in hand and they have Spurs and Man. United in their next 3. That's all I don't get really.

Hopefully 7 points from 3 games and we can put this thing to bed at last as that would be 25 points from 13 games and you simply don't get dragged into relegation battles from that position, we'd have to lose 10 straight and even then I doubt we'd be bottom 3.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

So are we thinking big Sam keeps the baggies up on goal difference ? 

Not unless there's an almost unprecedented improvement. They have actually scored 2 more goals than their xG. The only reason they aren't rock bottom is through dumb luck and Sheffield United tuning into prime Derby County. 

This one might be a step too far, even for Big Sam. If we don't pump them on Sunday, it's on us. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

If we win against Brighton and West Brom, I think we’ll be probably safe by then. Huge games coming.

Oh for sure. We could revert to our form of one point per game average of last season and still be comfortably safe this season. Just shows how good our start has been.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, eholm said:

It always feels as though we often seem to be the first fixture for a newly appointed Manager.....no stats to prove it it seems quite frequent for us. 

It's the same as the "players that haven't scored for ages always score against us" stuff that people say. It's not true and happens just as much to other teams, we just remember the ones that happen to us and the new manager first matches that happen to be against us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

It's the same as the "players that haven't scored for ages always score against us" stuff that people say. It's not true and happens just as much to other teams, we just remember the ones that happen to us and the new manager first matches that happen to be against us.

Yeah, probably right mate.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I find it hard to believe we're still in this division. It is impossible to comprehend that we could potentially be safe before the New Year in said division. Covid is an absolute bastard, but Aston Villa are a huge beneficiary of it. 

• Like 2

If we play at our best over the next two games then we could bag 6pts. We have to be at our best though, if you’re not then the Premier League will find you out. We could just as easily lose the next few games as win them. We have to maintain a good level, stayed focused, and stay hungry. 

• Like 1

Two wins in seven, from seven winnable games, four at Villa Park, and one of those wins was only because of a injury time penalty.

Overall we've done well compared to last season, but we're about where we deserve to be in the league, not hard done by to be in the bottom half based on our recent form.