Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

On 15/12/2020 at 14:47, useless said:

I think four points will be a decent return from the next two, really could do with winning the Burnley game though after losing three games in a row at Villa Park, of course no doubt some bubble head will disagree.

If we can beat Albion, then four points from these two fixtures won't be so bad, although as much as Albion are a local rival, if I had a choice, with four points being the only option, I would have chosen to win today and to draw against them, just to end this run of bad form we're on at Villa Park. Too late for that now, so need to win on Sunday.

18 minutes ago, useless said:

Two wins in seven, from seven winnable games, four at Villa Park, and one of those wins was only because of a injury time penalty.

Overall we've done well compared to last season, but we're about where we deserve to be in the league, not hard done by to be in the bottom half based on our recent form.

Yeah it's disappointing with the home form now. Was hoping we could win 10 + for first time since I think 07/08 but looks another season of 6 or 7 home wins so that will stop us finishing too high up the league unless we can win 10 + away which is still possible.

Worth noting though that Leicester have also lost 4 out of 7 at home so roughly same as us with the one fewer game we've played and they're still top 4.

'A draw today in isolation isn't the worst result, they'll deny better teams than us winning this season. If we can beat Albion then seven points from them Wolves and Burnley will be a good return and then hopefully we can get back to winning ways at Villa Park against Palace' 👏

• Like 3

I dont even want to temp fate.  We've seen teams in the past collapse over the years, we only have 19 points and even as close as last season we almost got relegated, in fact we were almost certainties to go down with four games to go.  I'm highly optimistic of our future but no way am I going think we are safe yet.  After the Palace game we have Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton who are on paper better teams than us and I'm no fool in thinking we may lose all them and while a disaster it also wouldnt be a surprise on an individual game by game.  That would mean we are on 19 points after 18 games, which is a bad situation. I understand it would mean also losing to Baggies and Palace.

Obviously I dont think we will lose 7 games on the trot and given this season so far we do better against good teams than bad teams, and the way we have played this season I think we'll do well against some of these teams especially if we have Jack and Ross firing but again while I think we will avoid relegation easily, until we are a lot closer to the safety points of the season I will not be counting my chickens on avoiding relegation. 

We know this team can go on winning runs, we also know this team can go on losing runs.  In my opinion, we have only been outplayed once so far this season, so on that basis we can be optimistic but I'm not going to be arrogant and ignore the small, but there, chances of being sucked into a relegation fight with a bad run.  (On the same note, we could go on a run and be a European contender.....the fun of being a Villa fan).

It would be lovely to smash the Baggies tonight!!!

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Leeds should still stay up. Think Fulham have a very good chance now as they've improved plenty in recent weeks.

Yeah, Leeds score enough goals and has enough about them to be safe, Fulham and Brom will be down to the wire probably.

January window will be interesting.

Yeah, I'm not at all worried we'll go down after that win. Even setting aside the fact we're 12 points clear with two games in hand, we're playing good football in pretty much all of our games lately so I think we'll keep accumulating points at a good rate.

Also, it's great to see we're getting decent results even with one or two of our key players out now - a lot of our fringe players are looking competent when they get rotated into the team. I'd obviously like some reinforcements in January but we've come a heck of a long way in the last 12 months!

45 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, Leeds score enough goals and has enough about them to be safe, Fulham and Brom will be down to the wire probably.

January window will be interesting.

Big Sam must’ve been promised funds so be interesting to see what happens there.. Leeds will be OK. 

• Like 1

22 points after 12 games.

We didnt break 22 points last season until game week 24.

Ironically, when we gain 5 more points, that will put us equal with the points tally we had after game week 34 last season (27 points).......

image.png.acf0fd8f82d6382f6efaa35a57b8731a.png

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 4