Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

I misread the table, but given they've got more games left to play and are in better form than we were going in to the close of the season, I'd still say that we survived from a more perilous position than the one they're currently in. That's not to say I think they'll survive, just that teams have survived from worse positions both form wise and in terms of points.

2 hours ago, useless said:

I misread the table, but given they've got more games left to play and are in better form than we were going in to the close of the season, I'd still say that we survived from a more perilous position than the one they're currently in. That's not to say I think they'll survive, just that teams have survived from worse positions both form wise and in terms of points.

Presumably they were in a much worse position with 9 or 10 (just to be a round, less arbitrary number on it) games left to play though, considering they have won their last 2 matches and 1 of those was away at a Chelsea side who'd conceded about a goal per month before that.

Not that it's some competition to be as shit as possible before saving yourself.

Edited by fightoffyour

Based on current form it's very possible West Brom could well beat us tbh. We will have less attacking options to play with than we did for the Fulham match potentially and they're miles better than when we played them in December and strolled to the win.

Their midfield was a mess back then but far stronger now. What could help us though is they know draws aren't enough so will play on front foot more so we'll have opportunity to counter attack more.

West Brom also have Wolves at home coming up who are losing loads to injuries and they won away there in January and they could also get a point from Leicester game.

Shows how much they have to do though. 7 points from next 3 gets them to 31 points but Newcastle have Sheffield United at home last home game of the season so will surely win that so West Brom need a further two wins to have a chance of going above Newcastle.

Newcastle, Brighton and Burnley all still have Sheffield United left on the fixture list so that's huge for them all.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We are officially safe as well, cant remember we did it with so much comfort. What a terrible decade :D 

Comfortably our safest Premier League season since 2009/10, which is pretty wild really. Only other PL seasons since then where we've looked safe for some of the season (but not towards the end) were 10/11 and 13/14.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Thought this might be a good thread to throw this into. In the 12 games we’ve missed Jack, we’ve got 3 wins. The relegated 3 each have 5 wins in total this season. 

Are you trying to say that we're not a bottom 3 team when we're without Jack? Because using the bottom 3 this season as a wins comparison isnt particularly representative. 

The 3 wins in 12 without Jack is pretty similar to our win rate last season.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Are you trying to say that we're not a bottom 3 team when we're without Jack? Because using the bottom 3 this season as a wins comparison isnt particularly representative. 

Which shows the improvement we have made. Our win rate without Jack is the same as it was last season with him in the team. 

13 minutes ago, turvontour said:

3 wins in 12 without jack (1 win in 4) is better than last season's win rate....we stayed up last season...so we are not a bottom 3 team without jack

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tomav84 said:

3 wins in 12 without jack (1 win in 4) is better than last season's win rate....we stayed up last season...so we are not a bottom 3 team without jack

I don't think we are a bottom 3 team without jack. I think we are in that bunch above bottom 3,  that are now safe.

No, my point is that we won 9 games last season and scraped survival. Which is a pretty close win rate to 1 in 4.

Theres no point saying that 18th has won 5 games this season as point as comparison, because its an abnormal number of wins for that position.

31 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I don't think we are a bottom 3 team without jack. I think we are in that bunch above bottom 3,  that are now safe.

No, my point is that we won 9 games last season and scraped survival. Which is a pretty close win rate to 1 in 4.

Theres no point saying that 18th has won 5 games this season as point as comparison, because its an abnormal number of wins for that position.

Yeah, the bottom 3 have been particularly shit this year. It could still be that none of them break 30 points.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Thought this might be a good thread to throw this into. In the 12 games we’ve missed Jack, we’ve got 3 wins. The relegated 3 each have 5 wins in total this season. 

Shows more about how horrific the bottom 3 are this season. 

None of them are even close to average a point per game. 

37 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

what has been our lowest league position this season?

I don't remember us being in the bottom half of the league much this season (makes a nice change!)

Think we got to 12th or 13th at one stage but had games in hand

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

what has been our lowest league position this season?

I don't remember us being in the bottom half of the league much this season (makes a nice change!)

We were pretty much in bottom half after losing to West Ham so showed despite the perceived really good start to the season we weren't that high in the league:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55039201

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We were pretty much in bottom half after losing to West Ham so showed despite the perceived really good start to the season we weren't that high in the league:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55039201

Likewise in this ‘poor run’ we have actually only slipped from 9th to 11th. Truth is every club outside the top and bottom has been streaky.