Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

This mismatch does show the growing gulf in between prem and championship teams. 

It's a real shame but I cant see any promoted teams bridge the gap either. This could become the closed shop that was feared.

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

This mismatch does show the growing gulf in between prem and championship teams. 

It's a real shame but I cant see any promoted teams bridge the gap either. This could become the closed shop that was feared.

Leeds and us says otherwise but generally yes

It's basically becoming a mini league nowadays of the bottom 3 of the prem and the top 6 of the championship.  3 of the top 6 of the championship are the 3 relegated clubs last season. Its a massive advantage having the parachute payments which I know Parry wants to get rid. It just shows how terrible we did in our first season by not even coming in the top 10. You still get a few underachiveing like Stoke who haven't really challenged yet but if you are well run club  (or a bit lucky) you should be able to get promoted again within the 3 season parachute payment window.

As a neutral it is a bit boring seeming the same old clubs every 2 or 3 seasons. Thats why Brentford going up this time makes it more interesting. Or even Reading.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Leeds and us says otherwise but generally yes

Leeds and us both had massive resources relatively speaking.

Not many teams in the championship have the same opportunity currently. With the growing disparity it may be more difficult to get prospective new monied owners too.

33 minutes ago, Nigel said:

But there always seem to be that one promoted team that outperforms. Last season it was Sheffield United. This season it's Leeds.

Wolves also a good example of that a few seasons back.

Edited by villalad21

was gutted everton were so shit on saturday. If Newcastle had lost that, they would still be on a slippy slope. As it is I think the gap, whilst it might shorten will just keep them safe. On the other hand, if it's just enough to keep Bruce in a job that's always good for us

25 minutes ago, Rodders said:

was gutted everton were so shit on saturday. If Newcastle had lost that, they would still be on a slippy slope. As it is I think the gap, whilst it might shorten will just keep them safe. On the other hand, if it's just enough to keep Bruce in a job that's always good for us

Was thinking the same about leeds beating Leicester until I realised the later losing was far better for us. Everton losing was the better outcome no matter feelings about the other clubs.

• Thanks 1

Of all championship teams Fulham should have been one of the clubs better positioned than most to make a good go of staying up, they have the London location, and one of the richest owners in the league, but I think in a way them spending big the last time they came up and failing may end up costing them twice, first when they were relegated that season, and again because it seems to have put them off spending this time around which might also see them relegated.

I think there will always be teams that come up and do better than expected, even Leeds for all the money they've spent are mostly performing well with the players they used last season, and also there will always be premier league sides that look to be comfortable one season but the next can struggle, which gives the promoted teams a chance, last season it was Watford, this season Sheffield United, and wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Southampton, Newcastle or Palace struggle next season.

43 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Was thinking the same about leeds beating Leicester until I realised the later losing was far better for us. Everton losing was the better outcome no matter feelings about the other clubs.

exactly this. we need to stop getting drawn into petty rivalries that the likes of leeds and newcastle are trying to start with us. we're better than them...just ignore them

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

They have good keeper in Areola. Would expect a bigger club to come in for him at some stage

He's already played for Real Madrid in his career and on loan from PSG.

Problem for Fulham is not having all these good defensive options all there for first games (they played Odoi and Ream against us) so they lost games in first few weeks they could've got some draws and wins from with better defensive structure.

I still wouldn't completely rule them out given we were 7 off safety with hardly any of the season left but they obviously need to win a game or two soon just to keep in touch.

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It's basically becoming a mini league nowadays of the bottom 3 of the prem and the top 6 of the championship.  3 of the top 6 of the championship are the 3 relegated clubs last season. Its a massive advantage having the parachute payments which I know Parry wants to get rid. It just shows how terrible we did in our first season by not even coming in the top 10. You still get a few underachiveing like Stoke who haven't really challenged yet but if you are well run club  (or a bit lucky) you should be able to get promoted again within the 3 season parachute payment window.

As a neutral it is a bit boring seeming the same old clubs every 2 or 3 seasons. Thats why Brentford going up this time makes it more interesting. Or even Reading.

I think a big factor this time was how many good players the relegated three kept due to covid. Who thought Norwich would keep Buendia and Max Aarons and Watford with Sarr as both those could play for a few top half clubs in prem easily. I certainly wouldn't have said no to either back in September.

Bournemouth also kept all of David Brooks, Josh King, Lerma, Lewis Cook although their recent form has been really poor and they're only 2 points clear of 7th.

In other years likes of Watford and Bournemouth would've lost 5-6 key players even with parachutes and would be a bit further down imo. Norwich done really well considering how badly end of last season went so surprised me. Hopefully they'll have more of a go with what they do in the summer than last time.

Edited by VillaChris

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

I don't get that personally. The bigger picture is we want to finish above Everton surely so any time they drop points in a very winnable game (and Newcastle was even more of a cert than Sheffield United before Saturday) is better than hoping an ex manager loses his job even though Newcastle winning or losing dosen't impact on us in the slightest this season compared to 12 months ago.

I hope Newcastle beat some of West Ham, Arsenal, Southampton, Chelsea, Spurs and Leicester in the run in as it all helps in the long run and SB will probably still be sacked end of the season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, useless said:

I'm surprised that Fulham haven't done more in the transfer window, at times they've played well but are drawing too many games, only Brighton have drawn more, a decent striker could turn some of those draws into victories...

Apparently in talks for Josh Maja on loan, thought that he might have been an interesting signing for us as back up.

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

You were totally right until the word "Reading". 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its a massive advantage having the parachute payments which I know Parry wants to get rid. It just shows how terrible we did in our first season by not even coming in the top 10. 

It shows more just how bad a shape we were in when we came down.