Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

5 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Who can forget those great Villa European nights like losing at home MSK Zilina in a half empty stadium with Salifou, Osborne and Delfouneso starting. Halcyon days at the Villa.

I remember great nights against Ajax and going back much further Atletico Madrid in the same competition (essentially). Seems to be doing okay for Spurs so it’s good enough for us, it’s also a clear sign of massive progression.

Yes it throws up a challenge juggling that and the league and domestic cups but it’s worth it for the added prestige, plus winning it these days qualifies you for the champs league the following season.

While I understand Europa Cup may not be an attraction  ... realistically will Villa get to the Champions league by-passing this stage of competition? I might agree we don't want to get there before there is a stronger team in place?

36 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I was there against Ajax, it was one of the best Villa Park moments of my life. Inject that shit in my veins.

Beating Ajax at home in a Europa League group stage game was one of the best VP moments of your life? An Ajax side who finished 3rd in the Dutch league? We limped through the group then sent the kids to Russia to get knocked out. That was over a decade ago, it's even worse now. The Europa League is only of any use if you win it and with our horrendous European record in the PL era, its fair to say that we won't get anywhere near doing that.

Only 32k people turned up to that Ajax game so for the most part, the fans dont give a shit.

35 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

While I understand Europa Cup may not be an attraction  ... realistically will Villa get to the Champions league by-passing this stage of competition? I might agree we don't want to get there before there is a stronger team in place?

Won't be easy to win it. My brother supports Spurs and he wants them to win the UL, but it's been a slog just to get to the knockout. Luckily they have 2 very good XI's, something we don't quite have yet. That's not to mention the 3rd place teams dropping from the CL into the knockout rounds. 

Heaton

Elmo Engels Hause Taylor

Nakamba

El Ghazi Ramsey Hourihane Traore

Wesley

We’d definitely need to add a bit of quality, but Europa League would keep things very competitive for our second eleven.

28 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wolves got to the quarters last season and in terms of numbers their squad is smaller than what we have currently.

How is this possibly true. Our bench is weak and we've had one striker in the match day squad for most games this season!

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wolves got to the quarters last season and in terms of numbers their squad is smaller than what we have currently.

And look at them now. Languishing in mid-table with their star players no doubt on the brink of requesting transfers.

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

How is this possibly true. Our bench is weak and we've had one striker in the match day squad for most games this season!

They were playing practically the same XI in the league and EL because their squad was small. We can rotate a few players, even though there would be a dropoff in quality.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Yeah but today we had not one but TWO right backs on the bench, beat that Wolves.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

Beating Ajax at home in a Europa League group stage game was one of the best VP moments of your life? An Ajax side who finished 3rd in the Dutch league? We limped through the group then sent the kids to Russia to get knocked out. That was over a decade ago, it's even worse now. The Europa League is only of any use if you win it and with our horrendous European record in the PL era, its fair to say that we won't get anywhere near doing that.

Only 32k people turned up to that Ajax game so for the most part, the fans dont give a shit.

One of the best? Absolutely. What are yours?

If you think the psyche of Villa fans now, is the same as then, you're deluded. We've had a decade of derision. For us to be in Europe in the next season or two, given where we've been, would be a monumental achievement. And the fans would feed off that.

Tell the Seville fans the Europa League is even worse now. They won't agree.

There's no point in football, or even sport, if you don't want to progress. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Tell the Seville fans the Europa League is even worse now. They won't agree.

There's no point in football, or even sport, if you don't want to progress.

Sevilla are a freak of nature and as I said, the only time the Europa League is useful is if you win it, something they are masters at.

The Europa League isn't progress. It's a detriment. Remind me how bombing out to Rapid Vienna twice in two years made progress. If it wasnt for Darren Bent, we would have been relegated 6 months later.

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I loved that win over Ajax to be fair. Attendance I can see online is 36k which for a midweek game isn’t bad. And those Villa fans were as loud as I’ve heard at Villa Park when we scored in that game.

I think a lot of the players from the time look back very fondly on that game too and given that we won a lot of games at the time that’s saying something. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So now we are turning our noses up at the Europa League.......

........ Alrighty then....

Yes like we did in 2009.

It's not about turning our noses up because we think we're too good for it. It's because being in that competition has no discernible benefits whatsoever. People can stamp their feet all they like but we've "turned our noses up" at the League and FA Cups many times in the last 20 years. Wake up gentleman, all that matters for now is staying in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Yes like we did in 2009.

It's not about turning our noses up because we think we're too good for it. It's because being in that competition has no discernible benefits whatsoever. People can stamp their feet all they like but we've "turned our noses up" at the League and FA Cups many times in the last 20 years. Wake up gentleman, all that matters for now is staying in the Premier League. 

What even is the point of football then? That sounds depressing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

What even is the point of football then? That sounds depressing.

Yes because the last 10 years has been nothing but joy for Villa fans. We're all saddled with this team for life. I can take not winning trophies and being mediocre but I dont ever want to experience stuff like the last 5 mins of that playoff final where I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I never want to suffer relegation again.