Ross Barkley

LondonLax

11 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I wonder what it does to the moral in the squad to have a player not training for 18 days but still starting every game.

I don't think it's a matter of everyone else training and him only playing games, I'm guessing the whole team didn't have much time on the training pitch through that period, including Ross, with maybe Ross missing a couple of additional days early on in that period with his injury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think it's a matter of everyone else training and him only playing games, I'm guessing the whole team didn't have much time on the training pitch through that period, including Ross, with maybe Ross missing a couple of additional days early on in that period with his injury.

I'd hope that too, but with Dean making a point of it and calling out his professionalism as a result does suggest it was unique to him.  Maybe reading to much it it. 

The only thing that matters is he ups his performance levels. He can justify taking some time to get up to speed, and not having been dropped due to a goal or a reasonable run of results, but he has been a weak link in the side of late. I hope we get the early performances we got out of him, but if he just picks up another injury a few weeks down the line it will just be a case of rinse and repeat.

So in summary, get match fit, stay injury free,  and up his performances. Dont want him emulating the last Ross we had!

• Like 1

When he said he played more games than training since he returned he was surely only emphasising the fact that there were constant games. He wasn't saying he had some special regime. I think the morale looks pretty great in the team and it sure looks as if he's a big part of it. 

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do you think our team moral looks bad?

I sort of understand what he is saying.  Personally I care less how often they work out and more whether they deliver on the pitch. We've had a certain CB that proved that point.

So for me the problem with Barkley affecting morale, IF that was a thing, it's more to do with him having an automatic place in the first eleven qhen he rarely plays well and rarely puts in a shift.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

I'd hope that too, but with Dean making a point of it and calling out his professionalism as a result does suggest it was unique to him.  Maybe reading to much it it. 

The only thing that matters is he ups his performance levels. He can justify taking some time to get up to speed, and not having been dropped due to a goal or a reasonable run of results, but he has been a weak link in the side of late. I hope we get the early performances we got out of him, but if he just picks up another injury a few weeks down the line it will just be a case of rinse and repeat.

So in summary, get match fit, stay injury free,  and up his performances. Dont want him emulating the last Ross we had!

I think Dean answered a question about Barkley as opposed to calling him out. I highly doubt any of that first team were training, not all of them were coming off the back on an injury though. Team morale looks very strong, Barkley looks a good fit, I think hes helping to drive a higher standard and increased expectation. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think Dean answered a question about Barkley as opposed to calling him out. I highly doubt any of that first team were training, not all of them were coming off the back on an injury though. Team morale looks very strong, Barkley looks a good fit, I think hes helping to drive a higher standard and increased expectation. 

If it's about more games than training, Barkley was the one who said it. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Do you think our team moral looks bad?

Not at all, it's the best I've seen for ages and I hope it stays that way. My worry is how it affects the moral in the long run if a player doesn't train, but gets to start week in week out and on top of that behaves badly when subbed after a below par performance. But as OBE pointed out, it may well be so that the squad as a whole hasn't trained much during the past 18 days because of all the games, so in that case not a worry for me. If he performes on the pitch he should play, if not someone else should get the chance.

Imo he currently warrants a place in the first eleven, but he performs at bit below my expectations and I want him to work harder and show a good attitude. At the moment he should be as happy of being here as we are happy to have him here.

Dean said that none of the first team were training as such, just playing a match then recovering.  Only the players that haven't had any game time were training properly.  This is the first time in a while we have had a whole week to prepare for a match so hopefully Barkley will play a bit better as a result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

But as OBE pointed out, it may well be so that the squad as a whole hasn't trained much during the past 18 days because of all the games, so in that case not a worry for me

It’s definitely this.

If you play Weds-Sat-Weds-Sat your week looks something like game Wednesday night, travel home, debrief and stretching/recovery Thursday, one session Friday for game prep, game Saturday, stretching/recovery Sunday, day off (only one per week) Monday, one session Tuesday for game prep, game Wednesday. Repeat. And those prep sessions include watching videos of the opposition, etc etc.

They aren’t saying Barkley isn’t training, they are saying two games per week since his return has meant no-one is really training.

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Barkley masterclass with a point to prove tonight will be just the tonic 👌

Would love for this to happen.

I’ve been very critical of him, but of course I want him to do well.

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Not at all, it's the best I've seen for ages and I hope it stays that way. My worry is how it affects the moral in the long run if a player doesn't train, but gets to start week in week out and on top of that behaves badly when subbed after a below par performance. But as OBE pointed out, it may well be so that the squad as a whole hasn't trained much during the past 18 days because of all the games, so in that case not a worry for me. If he performes on the pitch he should play, if not someone else should get the chance.

Imo he currently warrants a place in the first eleven, but he performs at bit below my expectations and I want him to work harder and show a good attitude. At the moment he should be as happy of being here as we are happy to have him here.

I think his frustration of kicking the bottle, was borne out of his own performance....not Deans decision.......he was pissed off with himself.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I have to admit that I find it great to read this discussion of performance and work ethic about a talented player like Ross Barkley. We have made some journey in a short time. Hope he have a great game and we win.

Â