Ross Barkley

LondonLax

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Read some Fulham fans views, most of them seem incredibly frustrated with how he has played so far for them and the fact he is getting bigged up in the media for it. Of course it doesn't stop pundits who don't watch the games raving about him.

I watched him play vs West Ham, and I thought he was poor.  Slow, and poor on the ball.  

7 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Now there’s a player I hope we’re watching closely.......Loftus-Cheek. He’s playing himself in nicely at Fulham, earning some decent reviews. I think he could thrive further at Villa Park. 25yrs old, coming back from injury, struggles for game time at Chelsea. Ticks a lot of boxes for AVFC 

So, basically Barkley with half the experience and accomplishments.

11 hours ago, paul514 said:

would simply buy other players you can apparently pick up Olise and Brandt for a combined 30 million for gods sake.

I've not seen Olise play, but his stats are incredible for a 19 year old in his debut championship season. Massive potential. I devi utterly think we should get him if the price isn't too steep. 

It seems some have forgotten that there's a difference between an attacking midfielder and a No.10 type player. Attacking midfielder is a very specialized position, you can't just play anyone there just because they happen to be skillful.

Edited by useless

Personally, I think he still has a lot to offer. His linkup play in and around the box is excellent and he adds an extra dimension to our play which has been sorely absent for years.

I know a lot of people have been critical of his performances of late and some of that criticism may be justified. However, given the fact that he’s clearly not 100% match fit and possibly still recovering from a combination of both injury and COVID I’m willing to give the guy a break. When he’s fully fit and focused with full command of his abilities he is brilliant, and he was absolutely scintillating against Liverpool at the start of the season. 

I can’t imagine we’d pay anywhere near the reported £40m should management decided to make his move permanent. I think possibly somewhere around £28m would be more accurate.

UTV 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

I've not seen Olise play, but his stats are incredible for a 19 year old in his debut championship season. Massive potential. I devi utterly think we should get him if the price isn't too steep. 

Yea, I saw the 8 million rumours.... who knows. I think he has a year left on his deal in the summer also so if the release clause isn't true a decent deal may be available with that contract length left anyway.

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

40m is a complete rip off. Id say 20m is his real value. But i rwckon we will settle at 30m

Id rather we went for tanmy in the summer as i dont think tuchel fancies him

I'm just not sure where he fits into our team with how much he would cost. I don't see us spending big on a backup striker

I do think that we will offer 25-30m for Barkley though

6 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I'm just not sure where he fits into our team with how much he would cost. I don't see us spending big on a backup striker

Based on what he has done we would

be fools

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I don't think we would start an opening bid that high

Edited by a-k

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

Based on what he has done we would

be fools

There’s video in the Dean Smith thread that mentions the impact Barkley has had which is quite insightful I thought. 

Turns out we might not be fools if we did. 

20 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'm sure I heard that he's getting more minutes on the game pitch than on the training pitch. Totally baffling really.

We had such a hectic run of games since his return that I would be surprised if much training was done at all

Ended up watching a lot of the highlights of our previous games and Barkley does seem to playing with less dynamism. The goal against Leicester was a driving run and shot which he hasn't really tried since coming back from injury. He's trying too many flicks and tricks. 

There was one pass against Arsenal where Luis pinged it to him and he volleyed it across to Watkins which was sublime. Hopefully he can back to that.

1 hour ago, Jono62 said:

Ended up watching a lot of the highlights of our previous games and Barkley does seem to playing with less dynamism. The goal against Leicester was a driving run and shot which he hasn't really tried since coming back from injury. He's trying too many flicks and tricks. 

There was one pass against Arsenal where Luis pinged it to him and he volleyed it across to Watkins which was sublime. Hopefully he can back to that.

I don't know how much of his current form is linked to the form of Luiz and McGinn who haven't been as good post Covid break as pre. We aren't dominating midfield like we did before. When you look at Southampton and Arsenal games very low possession. Compared to before Christmas games against West Ham, Southampton, Leicester, Brighton we had over half of possession. 

I think adding Sanson gives competition in midfield and can freshen up the side. If you rate front 3, mid 3 and back 5 since Covid break relative to pre the midfield 3 are under performing relatively. 

He’s simply a luxury player at this point. He does nothing defensively and barely tracks back. The Leeds, Soton, West Ham games this season have seen us get murdered because we’re a man light. I know he’s known for being box to box all action, but other than his debut, thats not the Ross Barkley ive seen. Being played as a second striker/number 10 here is something i thought he’d love and take that opportunity to show what he’s all about. He wants to get back in the England squad? Needs to show a hell of a lot more for me. He doesnt look too fussed when I see him on the pitch. Few nice touches that generally lead to nothing/losing posession followed by him not caring about tracking back. I like him but he hasn’t impressed me at all since we came back from covid. Big few months for him and his career coming up. £40m? Chelsea must be joking.

I think his injury has derailed him a bit, in terms of his excitement in joining us.....he was looking so good.

I think he can get back to that....its just those pesky hamstrings to avoid.

He is a class player, when he is on it....we just need to support him back to form.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He’s simply a luxury player at this point. He does nothing defensively and barely tracks back. The Leeds, Soton, West Ham games this season have seen us get murdered because we’re a man light. I know he’s known for being box to box all action, but other than his debut, thats not the Ross Barkley ive seen. Being played as a second striker/number 10 here is something i thought he’d love and take that opportunity to show what he’s all about. He wants to get back in the England squad? Needs to show a hell of a lot more for me. He doesnt look too fussed when I see him on the pitch. Few nice touches that generally lead to nothing/losing posession followed by him not caring about tracking back. I like him but he hasn’t impressed me at all since we came back from covid. Big few months for him and his career coming up. £40m? Chelsea must be joking.

Its ironic, because against West Ham he was the closest to Lingard when he scored his first goal.....the defence was still funnelling back

I am not denying your point, but I think that injury has got inside his head...he looks full of meloncholy....but he can play.

He fitness is his biggest challenge and your observations have merit, huge merit....I have no idea, how it will all pan out, but i suspect, chelsea must have a EU official in the club if they expect, 40m...pie in the sky, dreamers.

I suspect Morgan Sanson is the insurance against Ross failing, but in the meantime, Morgan has time to get used to the club and what its all about.....it seems like desperation has gone from us now, calm and composure has replaced it.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

Its ironic, because against West Ham he was the closest to Lingard when he scored his first goal.....the defence was still funnelling back

I am not denying your point, but I think that injury has got inside his head...he looks full of meloncholy....but he can play.

He fitness is his biggest challenge and your observations have merit, huge merit....I have no idea, how it will all pan out, but i suspect, chelsea must have a EU official in the club if they expect, 40m...pie in the sky, dreamers.

I suspect Morgan Sanson is the insurance against Ross failing, but in the meantime, Morgan has time to get used to the club and what its all about.....it seems like desperation has gone from us now, calm and composure has replaced it.

I like him and really want him to succeed and be that player for us. He has obvious quality and I maybe was just naively hoping Smith could get him back somewhere close to the Barkley that burst onto the scene at Everton. We will know more by the end of the season if he can recapture some of his best form, but up until now, probably Liverpool (H) and Arsenal (A) are his only decent showings.

He feels a lot like our Paul Pogba right now. Has quality but just isnt showing it enough, looking lazy and underwhelming in between. Still going to give him the benefit of the doubt given the circumstances; covid break/lots of games in short space/coming off an injury. But he needs to show more to his game. The West Ham game was most disappointing as Grealish always had multiple players following him around the pitch yet Barkley never capitalised and got on the ball enough or found the space to be effective.

• Like 1

Â