Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff United

limpid

Match Polls  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/20 at 17:00

2 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Hang on... “Super” John McGinn didn’t do a lot to shout about... Matt Targett gave away a penalty and didn’t have the great game...

Trez worked hard... Nobody (aside from Martínez) had a particularly good game...

Said in the match thread and on the McGinn thread I think he’s championship quality at best he’s been poor for months

Targett can’t defend for toffee, can see why Southampton got rid

Can't be too negative about that to be honest.

When you're up against 10 behind the ball for 80 minutes in the first proper game of the season it's gonna be tough to create too many clear cut chances. We still managed to get the ball into dangerous areas and probably could have wrapped it up at the end had we been a bit more match sharp.

I think Traore will add some much needed pace and directness. If we get another tricky midfielder in (someone beginning with R) I think it'll give Jack and McGinn a bit more freedom.

First League game of the season. Let's wait and see.

• Like 4

It’s always gonna be hard to break down a Sheffield United team that are so well drilled defensively. After the red card they packed the defence and let us have the ball. We needed to be really accurate to pick our way through. We got the breakthrough though and we didn’t concede. 

Watkins impressed me tonight, you could see him finding space all the time but we just couldn’t get the ball to him quick enough. Cash looked a real upgrade at RB, in both defence and attack. 
Jack was a threat all game, and should have had a goal but for better accuracy. 
Douglas-Luiz was my motm, he was superb and continued where he left off last season. This is the real Doug. Perfect start for Emi too. 

Well done Villa, bring on Fulham!

Good result, always going to be a hard task to break down a team that will sit back (4 & 4) the entire game after getting a red early on but I think that showed why we need another one or two signings.

Cash was decent, looks like he has a good cross in him (he was taking forever with throws tho)

Martinez — what more can I say... was probably motm for me. Solid, assured and caught crosses. Also seemed to be very decent with distribution. Have to mention Konsa as well, thought he was pretty good as well. 

Dean needs to learn that he has to make subs. Why not bring Nakamba on for the final 10 mins to help solidify us?

We didn't look quite fluent, which is to be expected, but we looked solid enough, the three new men all gave decent accounts of themselves and we've come away with three points. It's hard to not be happy with that I'd have thought.

We were promising in areas, and dominated the game - where we looked weakest, we have solutions in place with Traore ready to step in for Trezeguet - the keeper was a huge plus and other than the need to strengthen the bench and add some depth in the middle and at the back, we look well set.

This was a good result, keep improving and bring on the next one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Good win. Happy with that.

Definitely need another winger to move Jack in the middle.

Moving Jack into the middle still doesn't take away from the fact ( and nobody wants to say it ) he doesn't move it quick enough. Fantastic player but it's a side of his game that lets him down .

• Like 1

Last year that would have been 0-0

Still some new signings to come and another clean sheet in the league - 3 out of the last 5 league games and only 2 conceded in that time and one of those was a huge deflection at West Ham

First and foremost, 3 points and a win. lots of promising debuts - watkins runs were great and Martinez made us look secure under a high ball and with back passes (and what a save!).

once they parked the bus, it was always going to be hard to get past them, but we got the win and got important minutes into the players. The bench always looked like we had no real ‘impact’ player there, hopefully Traore will give us more options.

Cash also had a great debut, still need to see him more but he's started well and hope it continues. Watkins I thought was iffy, lost the ball a lot, but looked a threat at times. We'll see how it goes for him over the next few weeks.

As stated, we still need more. Played against 10 for 80 odd minutes and created barely anything with another set piece goal. We need more creativity and threat, otherwise we will struggle again. 

It has to be said that Sheffield came to spoil the game even before they had a man sent off.  They are a gritty hard working team, this was never going to be a fluent game.

Also I cant think of many teams who looked good on the first game back after this strange close season.

The only aims for today was 3 points.....mission accomplished!

Edited by Nigel

An undeserved win, I thought Sheffield united did enough earn a draw. We are so slow in possession and have no idea apart from give it to jack. There's no speed or tempo to our play and we still need 3 more first team players to sign before October. 

Highlights: the two defensive signings look very good. 

Lowlights: trezeguet nowhere near good enough, a lot of sloppy passing, mcginn looked like he was sweating gravy by the end. Hourihane offers nothing in open play. I could probably go on...

Martinez MOTM. Earnt us at least two points already (probably three as they'd have defended 1-0 even better). And furthermore, despite the brilliant penalty save, it was his coolness with the ball at his feet and his willingness to come for crosses that was most impressive. He'll have busier games though.

And yet, despite playing against ten men for the best part of 80mins we're talking about OUR keeper! Ramsdale was rarely troubled and the goal was soft.

McGinn, love him, but by far the worst player out there. Should have been off instead of the preset remove Hourihane for a striker/attacker move. Grealish very poor too, Luiz only one seemingly up to speed across midfield. Trez... Poor.

Cash, well I had my reservations but he was outstanding. Really impressed and calm on the ball. Seemed to get more decent crosses in than anyone else. Konsa, even forgetting the goal, is fast becoming our best defender. That's partially due to his progress but also Mings' standards dropping. Targett wasn't good really either. Watkins was solid but got very little supply.

So, overall, poor. Red card and Martinez saved us. But, like others have said, we'd have got less out of that last season. Only improvements to come too.

Will take poor performance wins all season long if I have to!!

• Like 2

Â