Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff United

limpid

Match Polls  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/20 at 17:00

8 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Martinez top keeper won us the points tonight 

Usual from Trezeguet and people was happy to see him stay and start games 🤪

Hang on... “Super” John McGinn didn’t do a lot to shout about... Matt Targett gave away a penalty and didn’t have the great game...

Trez worked hard... Nobody (aside from Martínez) had a particularly good game...

Edited by DJ_Villain
Terrible grammar!

Commentator: A very satisfactory start 

WTF,  this was a piss poor , boring and extremely lucky start, there was nothing satisfactory about it.. Would rather we played our hearts out , created chances and excitement but lost than have to watch that shite all season.. 

There are glimmers of a team and thankfully a lot of positives, Konsa and Martinez for sure, Watkins played well but we don’t have the players to utilise him and not even Jack as he has forgotten how to pass the feckin ball..

Cash looks decent, some lovely crosses. Everyone else either are not good enough or we’re off there games, it’s the first game so they get some leeway but at the moment we are looking like it’s gonna be another relegation battle.. room for improvement for sure

but yay 3 points 

• Like 1

First game back is always going to be a challenge, especially against a side like Sheffield United, who are hard to break down, very organised from the defensive line moving up the pitch. Still an ugly side to play against. 

Cash looks like a baller. Martinez a hero. Konsa took that goal well. Dougie was fantastic. A true engine. Grealish always a danger. Watkins is again looking very promising in his natural attacking and link up. 

This game was crying out for the pace of Traore off of the bench. That will really give us a new dimension. 

Had to shake those cobwebs off. It wasn’t pretty nor great at times but we should be beating teams like Sheffield United to stay in this league and we did. Well done all. 

4 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

10 men that barely left their own box and was the 4th best defence in the league last season.

That’s what I thought, we looked better for first 12 when they had 11 but as soon as they went all out defence their defensive prowess showed as they won everything in the box.

such a well drilled team.

• Like 1

All we could hope for was three points and no injuries. It was obvious the whole time that we wouldn't impress anyone with finely tuned play, given it's our first league game after a rather peculiar pre-season. We will become sharper, and better players will come in to spice the team up. Lots of teams will relearn to fear Villa Park.

And our new keeper is a fukcing star in the making.

UTV.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Martinez top keeper won us the points tonight 

Usual from Trezeguet and people was happy to see him stay and start games 🤪

Really? Which people? Happy to see him stay but don’t want him starting ( and he won’t be!)

Lot of positives to take from that game (not least the three points). I don't think we'd have won that game last season. Martinez was an absolute hero there and Cash and Watkins both looked pretty good too, so I think we've done well strengthening the squad. 

We looked a bit toothless at times, but we ultimately scored the goal we needed and looked fairly assured in defence. Had a few decent shots late in the second half too. Happy enough with that.

Disappointed at the performance, same poor play, slow and predictable.

Very happy with the win, we have 3 more winnable league games in the next 5 so it was important to get the 3 points.

Trez did nothing although 95% of attack went down the left to jack when we should have spread it right as well.

Mcginn doesn't look match fit yet poor passing and shooting.

We won't dominate possession like that for pretty much any other game this season and we were still 1 dimensional slow and easy to nullify.

Work to be done but great start points wise.

Martinez easily man of the match.

Edited by brummybloke

First league game, 3 points and a clean sheet. We played against a well organised defensive side with 10 men for 80 minutes. We lacked some sharpness and imagination and creative support for Jack is essential for these matches. 

Please don't go overboard on the general performance, it was a result we needed and I back us to improve as games and players come.

Very happy.

And what a start for Emi! 

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

WTF! They were top ten team last season and one of the most organised.  Surely you are trolling.  Different game against 11 men, doesn’t mean we’d be worse.  

Bizarre comment!

I watched them against Wolves, they were shite. They were lucky last season, this season they will be found out. They work hard but they have no class. Not one of their players would get into our team.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

....tonight, but he was in good company. He played well post lockdown, contributed more than Jack or McGinn in those games?

What 8 games out of 38 have a day off, he was an awful player for pretty much all of the season, McGinn has been crap for months

Attack against defense against one of the best organised teams in the country for 80 mins. We will get a lot more fluid than that. Showed some good game management and had enough chances to win more comfortably. Martinez was the platform for that though, great debut, puts the defenders playing in front of him at ease. Cash looked good too as did Watkins, his pace was the reason they went to 10 men. 

No need to be too critical of them after that, one win down, another 11 of them and don't get beat in another 10 games and we'll be safely mid table :D

We've got Traore to come in and hopefully another wide forward too, so we'll be much more potent going forward soon enough. 

• Like 2

Laboured but great start and delighted to get the 3 points. Goal aside, Konsa was immense. Nervous wreck on the ball when he came here but back end of re start and tonight showed why he had nearly 80 games for Charlton played before he was 20. He looked like the senior pro of the 2 centre halves tonight. Watkins very lively i thought. Great attitude, even when something doesn't come off. Remember Wesley on the opening day against Spurs ?  I'm not too hung up about the fact we couldn't unlock them and it was side ways and back for the majority of the game. They are awkward team to play against at the best of times. They sat very deep. 

• Like 1

About 5 minutes in, Sheffield United lump a ball into a packed box. Martinez comes out, gets the ball and takes the man out. Another few minutes later, he comes through a group of players to punch the ball away. I said to myself, "yeah he'll do for me."

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Hang on... “Super” John McGinn didn’t do a lot to shout about... Matt Targett gave away a penalty and didn’t have the great game...

Trez worked hard... Nobody (aside from Martínez) had a particularly good game...

Disagree, Konsa did well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Â