Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff United

limpid

Match Polls  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/20 at 17:00

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Moving Jack into the middle still doesn't take away from the fact ( and nobody wants to say it ) he doesn't move it quick enough. Fantastic player but it's a side of his game that lets him down .

Maybe with better wingers and better movement he will. Obviously speculating here, but I'm sure Jack can be coached to move the ball quicker. 

Not a classic at all but that's a good early 3 points in the bag. Traore will be a huge boost to the side and lets just pray something with Rashica finally happens this week, we need wingers who are direct and full of pace. You could see today how little our side runs at defences. 

Can't really judge much considering we were playing 10 men but Mings and Konsa looked great and Cash looked solid as well. Emi also looked as comfortable as they come, fantastic penalty save.

Onto Fulham.

Despite having the game on at work, I had a busy patch, so didn’t see much,  despite the lack of goals, it felt like we were in full control. A much more confident display than this time last year.

if I’m correct in that. I’m happy 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

1 minute ago, kidlewis said:

Disagree, Konsa did well. 

Cash looked good too, Grealish was good, Watkins was good, Mings was ok, Hourihane put some good balls in. We weren't amazing but we don't deserve the criticism some people are giving out. That's a long way from our best but it's alright and we got 3 points.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

You can only really judge that performance on the 12 minutes before the sending off, where we looked good and moved the ball quickly resulting in them having a man sent off.

After that it wasn't so much park the bus as put wheel clamps on it and fill it with cement.  The only space was in front of their 8-man defence so it was hard to do much beyond pass it sideways.

A good result against a defensively resolute side who will give everything to protect their goal.

It seems you watched the same game as me as I was gonna write exactly what you've written.

And once we scored we could and should have had 4/5 more, Watkins could have had 2, Jack should have got himself a hat-trick Trezeguet with the Volley should have done better. Hourihane had a few laid up beautifully to him. 

Onwards I say. Rocket 🚀. We need a midfielder like their Berge. He looks like someone we could benefit from. 

• Like 2

Everyone who is bashing the squad needs to keep in mind that this is a side built to counter attack and we played well leading up to the sending off.  When the opposition stick 10 men behind the ball for 65 minutes, you're not going to counter much, which is why we looked like scoring a few in the dying minutes.  

Martinez - MOM just for the penalty save.

Cash & Watkins also looked like huge upgrades and Mings was outstanding today as well.  

Trezeguet is still complete garbage.  I'm so glad we signed Traore just for the fact that I don't have to watch this headless chicken run about week in and week out anymore.  

Lots of work to do still, but we've won 2 on the trot this season and I'm looking forward to us progressing past Bristol City and kicking Fulham next weekend.  This will give the team some confidence to run riot over Fulham before a tough couple of matches against Liverpool & Leicester.  

Lots of people looked OK, no one looked good 

Way too slow but that's the thing vs 10 men, the main frustration for me was the reluctance to chuck it in even if it was aimlessly, we had some much space out wide but always came back in 

Not bothered about jack, same as always, if a quick pass is on then I'm sure he'll take it, if there's **** all on he'll slow it down and keep the ball

Traore actually seems a decent signing based on tonight 

It took us 8 games to get past 5 points last season, beat Fulham next week and we’ve done it after 2.

Really can’t underestimate how big it would be to win against Fulham.

Today we weren’t great but it’s hard to take much from the game with 10 big men behind the ball for the entire game, much better teams would have struggled to break them down, lets be happy with the win and a great start for once in the league.

Edited by AVFCDAN

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Maybe with better wingers and better movement he will. Obviously speculating here, but I'm sure Jack can be coached to move the ball quicker. 

I'd really hope so. He has a fantastic array of passes but maybe he believes the hype that he is duty bound to win villa the game. He isn't and his own game will suffer if he adopts that mindset. Team first. Always. Your own performance then will take care of itself.

Last season we played quite well in a few games but lost them. This match we were a little bit poor but won. I know which way round I like it.

We seem to have a proper goalkeeper at last in Martinez.

Mings and Konsa’s double act for the goal made me smile.

Little more to say. Keen to see how Traore changes our attacking shape.

Thought the newbies did well but Villa still lack a midfielder that runs beyond the strikers and can create.

Build up play also far too slow and better teams will allow Villa to that then break on them.

Overall three very welcome points but some of last season's problems remain despite the spend. However, Villa have finally got themselves a class keeper who has already earned Villa an extra two points with his penalty save.

Some ratings and reactions:

Martinez - 10 - What a debut.  Cool, calm and composed.  Not much to do, but not a foot wrong, and that penalty save!

Cash - 6 - the lad can cross, but outside of that, was fairly uninspiring.  Too easily beaten when defending.

Targett - 4 - pretty poor going forward, gave away a penalty because he failed to track his man, beaten nearly every time SU came forward.  Needs replacing urgently.

Konsa - 8 - not a foot wrong and scored the winner. Job done.

Mings - 6 - many of his touches went further than i can kick a ball.  Some sloppy passing.  But got an assist.

McGinn - 4 - passing was terrible, rarely tracked back, constantly lost his runner in defence.  Shocking.  Carrying far too much weight and is clearly unfit.  No idea how he stayed on for full 90.

Grealish - 7 - involved in anything good we did.  Probably should have scored, but for some desperate defending.  Sloppy passing on several occassions and also looked unfit.

Luiz - 7 - kept us ticking over and put a few dangerous through balls in.  Decent defensively, but also looked spent by about 70 mins.

Hourihane - 6 - he was unlucky to be pulled ahead of McGinn.  Didn't lose possession and looked tidy on the ball if un-threatening.

Trez - 5 - same as last season, ran and ran, but his end product is lacking and his tracking back often put us at risk

Watkins - 6 - very hard to judge him on that.  Pretty much no service.  Was unlucky not to score, but did little to help create chances.

Davis - 6 - took two defenders with him creating the space for Konsa to score.  Won more headers than any other villa forward and held it up well.  Perhaps should have been more selfish at the end and might have scored.

Dean Smith - 4 - still has no idea how to setup his side against 10 men, and still risks results by not making subs when players are clearly tiring and making errors.  The win tonight comes in spite of, rather than because of him today, which is very disappointing.

• Like 2

Â