Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff United

limpid

Match Polls  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/20 at 17:00

They have an excellent defensive record and had everyone back not really sure what people were expecting. I thought we played it well and didn't needlessly rush it, we'd only just brought our second striker on and had more levels of intensity and tempo to go to if we didn't break the deadlock.

Martinez and Cash were excellent. An upgrade on Trez, perhaps that's Traore, and another starting quality CM and we look really good.

• Like 1

A win is a win but we will really need to improve if we are going to progress this year. 

Martinez was such a calm influence between the sticks. The back 5 look very assured. 

We need so much more from Jack and Trez. Everything we did was in front of SU. 

Not vintage Villa but easing into the season with 3 pts against a fitter side  is fine, thanks. 

Martinez is the business, Cash has a brilliant cross, Konsa played very well second half, Watkins did okay for his first Prem game. 

McGinn needs minutes, cardio and a bit of self discipline around the comfort eating! He’s a cracking player but if we sign a new No.8 then he’s not a guaranteed starter in this form. 

Lacked penetration badly but Traoré & Rashica will address that and one is already in the bag. 

Best start we could hope for, bring on the salt from Sheffield fans! 

• Like 4

Atrocious game of football. Who cares though, Spurs started slowly too and look what they did yesterday.  Manger rated poor as I simply cannot understand how, in a game against 10 men, Konsa was allowed stay on given what happened Mings last year. Worked out I guess, but inexplicable.

Edited by IrishVillain

2 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

78 minutes against one of the poorest sides with 10 men we should have had a hatfull! Absolute garbage. God help us against a decent team with 11 men!

WTF! They were top ten team last season and one of the most organised.  Surely you are trolling.  Different game against 11 men, doesn’t mean we’d be worse.  

Bizarre comment!

Hard to watch us struggle against 10  men...we got there in the end but boy it was a hard watch.

Emi was a rock in goal and he got us the points to be sure,a commanding performance

Mc ginn and trez...worrying if we are going to be using them both to start going forward...we need better options..mcginn needs to lose 2 stone off his arse

Hoofball does not work..we will be doing a major disservice to ollie watkins playing like that

Improvements are needed...traore for trez and a new solid midfielder and someone to show targett how to be a defender

• Like 1

3 points are the most important thing, although it was a struggle. If you have to win ugly, take it.

Need someone to replace McGinn as a starter.............looks too slow for 90 minutes in the Premier League.

Take the 3 points and move on......build from here.

• Like 3

Comfortably the better team, even before their (harsh!) red card, and a fully deserved three pointer. We were brilliant, far from it, and many players need to improve upon tonight’s performance, but I really don’t understand the sense of discontent from this and the match thread. I’m fecking chuffed! 

10 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Get the **** in!

Last season we would have not got 3 pts for this

Exactly. We only won 2 out of 7 against 10 man last season. If it was last season we'd probably collapsed at the 80th minute mark.

I wouldn't complain a single bit if it was for us to grind our way through and hold on to the win. Some other top teams i.e. manure does that all the time and it's how they keep themselves on the top of the table.

Edited by hong0311
  • Like 4

I think we lacked intensity today and the fact it’s our first game was telling. Obviously the red card helped but in some ways it made it more difficult for us as struggled to break them down.  It’s great to have what looks like a top keeper.  Good league debuts for Ollie and Cash too.

Jack needs to seriously work on his finishing to become that world class player he can be. He could have had a Hatrick today. 

3 points and a clean sheet. All good.

• Like 1

Job done. Will take it the result for the first match of the season.

Positives:
- Marinez looks super composed
- Luiz is the same Luiz
- Cash and Watkins looked good
- Konsa looks very settled

Negatives:
- Smith got tactics wrong
- McGinn looked gas, should have been substituted
- Defense looked very casual the few times Sheffield United attacked
- Trez offers zero

• Like 2

Â