Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff United

limpid

Match Polls  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/20 at 17:00

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah but aside from that, there are multiple times I have seen him actually have a better pass around the box, and either lose it or run into a dead end.

WITH players moving around and actually in better positions than him.

Anyway forget it.

I agree and it does make us predictable when teams sit back.  Just wait when we have pace and skill in a Abundance  up top.  traore  and xxxx better be good!

• Like 1

Although I didn't think we were great by any stretch of the imagination, I don't really understand all the negative reaction. Sheffield United are characteristically very hard to break down even when they're more open, looking for the win with 11 men, so naturally an early sending off was going to make them very hard to crack. There's been plenty of evidence to suggest that we are poor in unlocking a highly defensive tactic, and whilst that's something that we'll have to work on, it's also not representative of the majority scenario for the rest of our season. We will primarily be dealing with teams who give as good as they get, and perhaps better more often than not, going forward. So training will generally be focused on scenarios where we're up against it.

Ultimately we got the 3 points and Martínez and Cash both looked good, so lots to be positive about.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Christ, Wilder complaining so much you'd think they hadn't been awarded that penalty. Doesn't seem to understand the double jeopardy rule about red cards and peno's either. Crazy amount of complaining.

Good to hear, the more he loses his cool the worse job he will do. I like Sheffield fine but the more competition that implodes the better.

I said post match I'd be happy with a point and a good performance but given the option, I'd take a poor performance and 3 points like tonight every week of the season if truth be told.

Seen too many negative posts for my liking. It was our first (proper) competitive match and they clearly had the edge fitness wise but penalty aside we always looked in control (which to be fair we should against 10) and with a bit more composure and guile we could and should have had the game wrapped up with 10 mins to go. 

11v11 and that's a totally different game, one where I'm sure we would have created more chances and looked more fluid as the first 12 minutes we started brightly. After that it was basically attack vs defence and to their credit they defended pretty well. 

Martinez MOTM for the obvious, though Konsa was a close second. 

McGinn seems to be getting a lot of pelters on here and yes he was pretty dreadful, but I am surprised that people say he's not good enough. I hate the way we as fans write players off. He's been class overall since he came here, the injury has obviously taken some time to get right but he will come good again I guarantee and when he does it will improve us massively. I actually saw signs from 80+ mins of more of the real McGinn. Players have bad games = doesn't make them bad players.

• Like 4

You know how they say people turn into their parents? We are turning into our managers.

" It's always difficult to play against 10 men" standard.

Is it more difficult than playing against 11 men?

If this is the case, some teams should consider only playing 10 men against the more difficult teams.

Don't get me wrong, I get the point, but still.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Although I didn't think we were great by any stretch of the imagination, I don't really understand all the negative reaction. Sheffield United are characteristically very hard to break down even when they're more open, looking for the win with 11 men, so naturally an early sending off was going to make them very hard to crack. There's been plenty of evidence to suggest that we are poor in unlocking a highly defensive tactic, and whilst that's something that we'll have to work on, it's also not representative of the majority scenario for the rest of our season. We will primarily be dealing with teams who give as good as they get, and perhaps better more often than not, going forward. So training will generally be focused on scenarios where we're up against it.

Ultimately we got the 3 points and Martínez and Cash both looked good, so lots to be positive about.

Agree with this completely. Grealish very unlucky not to score with one of his three decent attempts too, on another night at least one of those goes in.

I felt you could see signs of what we were trying to do but we couldn't quite get our passing going when we got towards their box, which is no surprise given it's the first game of the season and we were playing against a well-drilled team who defended excellently. Lots of room for improvement but plenty of positives too.

I thought we were fairly poor and the same poor performers performed... poorly. 

We need a defensive midfielder alongside Luiz to replace Hourihane and we need a left winger. Not convinced by Targett either. 

2/3 more signings and we will be fine but make no mistake; that side without Grealish and Luiz is relegation fodder. 

Massive 3 points. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Inject it.

I haven’t the slightest idea what he’s on about? Something about a handball?

the only contentious decision I saw was the penalty and whether Targett actually touched the defender?

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Inject it.

Chris Wilder reminds me of that one friend we all have who has opinions that some might find objectionable, but manages to fly under the radar because he phrases everything in such an overly amiable way. You can't sit there and criticize multiple referees over multiple games and say "I think they all know I respect them and I'm well liked in the game [so I can now slate them all with inpunity]..."

What a bollocks and disingenuous way to present your view. If you think they've been crap and disagree with them, have some balls and just say it without the slightly sycophantic arse-covering.

Also, if he's confused about the red card tonight, someone needs to send him a rule book. Egan gave the ref no choice. He was the last defender, had a handful of Ollie's shirt and an arm around him too. If he'd gone to ground nobody could have had any complaints but because he didn't there's some sort of question over it. Credit to Watkins for not making a meal of it, frankly - all he wanted was the ball.

Â