Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

I think people need to wake up and remember we nearly got relegated last season, the chances of getting 'the best players on the market' are pretty unlikely even if we do have the transfer funds. 

If Traore hadn't just had a fairly poor season there would probably be no chance we could sign him.

Saying he only played 14 games is very misleading. He started 14 and came on as a substitute in 9, the Lige 1 was canceled after 28 games, so it was only in 5 games that he didn't feature. He featured in five Champions League games and scored one goal.

For you who have followed Lyon and seen all their games over the last years - haven't Lyon played with two up front quite a few times, meaning that wide forward Traore hasn't really fit in to the system? Could that be a reason to why he hasn't been as good this season? And wasn't he quite good the seasons before? Lyon is a very good team and he had quite a few good players to compete with.

I'm not sure what the general feeling among Lyon fans are, what I know is that they have a big problem with rasism in French football and among the fan base, a player from Africa who is in bad form/doesn't fit into the system and says he wants to leave will not get a easy time among some of the fans, so I will expect at lot of abuse from some if he leaves. Doesn't mean he is that bad a player.

I think some of the reactions here are based on the fact that we expect better and quite frankly, don't know that much about him or the circumstances to why he hasn't been a hit this year.

You tube clips don't say much, but you can clearly see that he has good technique and is talented. I'd prefer Benrahma, Buendia, Deulofeu or Rashica (though I don't know much about him tbh), but if Traore is the one we can get, I'll be happy to give him a chance. 

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

Sign someone with bags of pace and everyone gets mad. Who hates pace?

You can have pace and be dreadful tbf.

I just think Lyon fans are likely to hold their players to a higher standard than we do and if he signs we might as well see what he can do before losing it. 

That and most people on here who claim to know lots about every player we're linked with are clearly full of shit. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The last person to have that problem? Trezeguet. 

He is not lightning quick in the slightest. If Trezeguet had any acceleration at all he'd just about muster being ok. 

I'll be damned if I ever take football fans' opinions of a player, or anything really as gospel. It'd probably be more prudent to just believe the opposite

Not like Lyon fans have a good track record with us anyway. They were saying Carew was shit and that Remi Garde would be good for us. Let's hope they go 0 for 3.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I just think Lyon fans are likely to hold their players to a higher standard than we do and if he signs we might as well see what he can do before losing it. 

That and most people on here who claim to know lots about every player we're linked with are clearly full of shit. 

This isn't some one trick player from a tin pot league. He has had solid production, for multiple seasons, from a top 5 league in Europe. The price is a bit high but when you look at our current wing options and then compare them to Bertrand its comical that people can be this negative. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

At what point did all the people from Villa Facebook groups migrate to VT?

He'll ghost past 2 defenders on his debut and the people crying now will be creaming themselves.

Clean slate for me.

looking at his vids, and from the posts on the OL forum, he will beat 2 players, then fail to pass it, or try to take it on himself when he shouldnt and fail.

the fact so many members of the OL forum seems to be happy he is going, one even said hes a "mess of a player", its pretty concerning when the previous clubs fans are ecstatic that someone is willing to pay £16m+ for a player they dont rate all that much beyond some pointless tricks and stepovers.

If we sign him, i will 100% give him a chance, but i havent seen anything so far, be that vids, or fans on the OL forum, or anything, that make me think this would be a good signing for 16-20m.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

You mean to say Lyon fans don't accept mediocrity ? Sounds like a good concept.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this personally based on what little information I've seen, but I agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't be so negative without him having even signed.

Can we all just promise that if he does sign, we'll actually back him and give him a chance? Vocally writing someone off too fast is the worst thing you can do for their confidence.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

You mean to say Lyon fans don't accept mediocrity ? Sounds like a good concept.

I mean to say they were just in a CL semi final so they're way above where we are at the moment. 

Talking about accepting mediocrity, you've said you'll be happy with 17th this season. I won't.

• Like 1

Â