Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

7 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Saying he only played 14 games is very misleading. He started 14 and came on as a substitute in 9, the Lige 1 was canceled after 28 games, so it was only in 5 games that he didn't feature. He featured in five Champions League games and scored one goal.

For you who have followed Lyon and seen all their games over the last years - haven't Lyon played with two up front quite a few times, meaning that wide forward Traore hasn't really fit in to the system? Could that be a reason to why he hasn't been as good this season? And wasn't he quite good the seasons before? Lyon is a very good team and he had quite a few good players to compete with.

I'm not sure what the general feeling among Lyon fans are, what I know is that they have a big problem with rasism in French football and among the fan base, a player from Africa who is in bad form/doesn't fit into the system and says he wants to leave will not get a easy time among some of the fans, so I will expect at lot of abuse from some if he leaves. Doesn't mean he is that bad a player.

I think some of the reactions here are based on the fact that we expect better and quite frankly, don't know that much about him or the circumstances to why he hasn't been a hit this year.

You tube clips don't say much, but you can clearly see that he has good technique and is talented. I'd prefer Benrahma, Buendia, Deulofeu or Rashica (though I don't know much about him tbh), but if Traore is the one we can get, I'll be happy to give him a chance. 

He was signed by Bruno Genesio and was on fire the first season, then went onto to have an average second season. Lyon then changed their manager twice last campaign and Traore was not part of their plans /didn't suit their system. 

France's history of colonialism in Africa is even more shocking than the UK's. Ironic that neither would be the wealthy countries they are without plundering African resources... but fans choose to abuse African players?! That's a conversation for another forum though 😏

So the kid has played for Ajax, Chelsea and Lyon, and 2yrs years ago he was being linked to the two Merseyside clubs for £40m. And some of you lot want the new DOF sacked?

Numpties

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'll be damned if I ever take football fans' opinions of a player, or anything really as gospel. It'd probably be more prudent to just believe the opposite

Not like Lyon fans have a good track record with us anyway. They were saying Carew was shit and that Remi Garde would be good for us. Let's hope they go 0 for 3.

Well, exactly. See Chelsea fans' opinions of Salah when he played for them (not that I'm expecting Traore to be playing at his level). When he signed for Liverpool, they claimed he would be the biggest flop since Fernando Torres and would fail to make an impact in the Premier League. I presume all those tweets are deleted now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, av1 said:

So the kid has played for Ajax, Chelsea and Lyon, and 2yrs years ago he was being linked to the two Merseyside clubs for £40m. And some of you lot want the new DOF sacked?

Numpties

Exactly this. Has his form dipped a bit over the last season? Yes, but if he was still the player the big clubs were after 2 years ago he'd probably cost £60m this window. Sometimes it's worth taking a risk cause if he finds that form again we'll be set. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He was signed by Bruno Genesio and was on fire the first season, then went onto to have an average second season. Lyon then changed their manager twice last campaign and Traore was not part of their plans /didn't suit their system. 

France's history of colonialism in Africa is even more shocking than the UK's. Ironic that neither would be the wealthy countries they are without plundering African resources... but fans choose to abuse African players?! That's a conversation for another forum though 😏

Thanks for that, seems to be a reasonable explanation to why he hasn't performed this season. Could still be that he is a good player in other words!

True it's mostly for another forum, but when referring to what Lyon fans think I believe it is relevant. Just to shortly elaborate and for others who haven't followed French football there was among other things a big scandal involving Laurent Blanc where the national team systematically discriminated black players. Having lived in France and followed quite much football there I was truly surprised by how outspoken and open the rasicm was not only among the fans, but also on state television. I truly believe that a black player that doesn't perform and speaks out will get a tougher time among some of the fans.

And when referring to what "Lyon fans think" I guess it is the same there as here, a loud minority can set the tone and give a wrong picture.

BB9-A92-CE-6300-410-A-B3-FD-87006220-A82

Sounds like OL fans don’t have the best reputation. I have no idea, but thought it might be good to try and get some balance that OL have form for being quick to jump on players.

Took a screen shot as there was a representative for Wellingborough present. 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

Numpties

You're right. Based on that he must be a great purchase at that price and exactly what we need. Ajax, Chelsea AND Lyon. Wowzer. 

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

Numpties

Interesting that club after club wants to get rid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

I find it amusing that as soon as there's a topic that could be viewed as even slightly underwhelming, all the toxic brigade come out to cry. Despite the fact, in this case, they've never seen this guy play in the entire lives.

I, like many other Villa fans, will give this guy a chance and if our recruitment team thinks he's good, who am I to tell them otherwise? Plus JT will have trained with this guy a number of times and if he thinks he's decent too, then let's give it a go. We must remember that we only have two wingers in El Ghazi and Trez (Jota doesn't count because he's made out of old feathers) and both of which were pretty terrible very frequently last season.

Also, people stating that we should sign someone like Buendia for this kind of money - How do we know Norwich aren't asking for £40m? Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Buendia but if this guy is the chosen RW we're going for, let's give him a fair crack of the whip.

You contradict yourself here. 

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Haven’t seen a lot of this guy but don’t really rate him and nothing I’ve read about him particularly inspires confidence. Not a fan of this link.

Much 'bigger' clubs than Aston Villa have seen enough to want to have a go at moulding him. Seems it hasn't worked out at Lyon, but I wouldn't rush to judge a 25 year old, with his CV, on one bad season?

• Like 2

Â