Emiliano Martínez

hippo

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

It doesn’t break the rule. 

But Emi knew what he was doing when he took the ball. I’m sure he studied the rule and you can even see in the video, he’s sort of judging if he can get away with it and then does a quick sprint to get to the ball first. 

Set the tone, disrupted the routine, game over. 

Brinkmanship, gamesmanship, call it what you will....its ok by me.

**** housery is what Vinnie Jones used to do, and few others....Emi does not do that.

Players have a responsibility, in high stakes games, to be mentally prepared....That's what makes champions, and leaves others behind.

What Emi does, is, challenges the mental resilience and eks out mental frailty in the opponents.....tangibly its innocuous, but when a player has to take a penalty, with such high stakes, a butterfly passing randomly can be enough to put them off.

Emi should not be punished, for their mental frailty, he is just exercising his right to challenge it, in much of the time, a passive way.

We shouldn't be put off by the cancel culture in football.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I was confused about the second yellow too, as I didn’t know the rule about them resetting after the 90/120mins. So essentially he was booked, then that game was over, then during the penalties he was booked again. Although I don’t agree with why he was booked, I understand it.

What I don’t get is why some seem to think he will miss the SF first leg? Is that because of the total yellows accrued to this point, because I thought they reset after the QFs? Or is it because two yellows in one game, usually equals a red, and therefore he misses a game…? Because that can’t be the case either, because the first yellow was done, then expired. Then the second yellow was done, but they don’t equal a red, so why would he miss a game?

there’s probably something obvious I’m missing but I don’t get why Emi would miss a game?

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I was confused about the second yellow too, as I didn’t know the rule about them resetting after the 90/120mins. So essentially he was booked, then that game was over, then during the penalties he was booked again. Although I don’t agree with why he was booked, I understand it.

What I don’t get is why some seem to think he will miss the SF first leg? Is that because of the total yellows accrued to this point, because I thought they reset after the QFs? Or is it because two yellows in one game, usually equals a red, and therefore he misses a game…? Because that can’t be the case either, because the first yellow was done, then expired. Then the second yellow was done, but they don’t equal a red, so why would he miss a game?

there’s probably something obvious I’m missing but I don’t get why Emi would miss a game?

As already stated in this thread, it appears suspensions do carry through but the yellow card count is wiped.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Just because the yellows go back to zero next game doesn't necessarily mean a suspension is also cancelled surely? You've already earned a suspension by picking up that many yellows before they reset to zero yellows, so why wouldn't you have to serve your suspension?

If you have 11 points on your driving license that expire on New Year's Day and you get done for speeding on Christmas Day and you get a ban, they don't go "oh but these points expire in a few days so therefore you aren't banned" 

Admittedly individual competition rules may state otherwise but I haven't seen anything conclusive about this.

Couple with this there is uncertainty about whether the ref revoked the yellow, and also some uncertainty about whether the penalty shootout yellow counts as a "quarter final" yellow because technically I think it can be argued the game had ended. Whether the penalty shootout existed in a no-man's-land between the quarters and semis I have no idea.

• Like 1

I want to know what happens if you drop the nut on someone during a penalty shootout, this no-man’s land part of the game.

Thankfully we probably don’t have long to find out.

• Haha 1

I'm still not sure he was actually booked.

If he was, and we can apparently appeal it, then I hope we do because I really think he actually was just asking for a ball.

He did about a dozen other things he could have been booked for but the ref was so shit the thing he chose to book him for was innocent

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

How can you get a yellow in open play for time wasting. Players take a ball to the corner flag all the time to deliberately waste time, is that bookable now. First yellow should be rescinded. Just a two bob ref trying to make a name for himself.

It wasn't open play

14 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Disciplinary UEFA panel can eat a d***

Yellow cards should be wiped after the Quarter Finals, right...well that is unless aforesaid d*** eating panel speak French?

Sounds like you need to calm down with a bit of Zhan zhuang mate 

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

Brinkmanship, gamesmanship, call it what you will....its ok by me.

**** housery is what Vinnie Jones used to do, and few others....Emi does not do that.

Players have a responsibility, in high stakes games, to be mentally prepared....That's what makes champions, and leaves others behind.

What Emi does, is challenges the mental resilience and eks out mental frailty in the opponents.....tangibly its innocuous, but when a player has to take a penalty, with such high stakes, a butterfly passing randomly can be enough to put them off.

Emi should not be punished, for their mental frailty, he is just exercising his right to challenge it, in much of the time, a passive way.

We shouldn't be put off by the cancel culture in football.

TRO - not sure about this, Jones was a Thug and not on his own in that era.

Emi is full of xxxxhousery, whether you like it or not is down to the individual.

My concern would be that this type of thing has a habit of biting you on the bum.

I only hope that he is not setting himself up for a fall 🤞🤞

20 minutes ago, brommy said:

As already stated in this thread, it appears suspensions do carry through but the yellow card count is wiped.

So he's not suspended, he picked up yellow cards not a suspension. 

50 minutes ago, ender4 said:

That's a really good point. All the focus is on him, the other players can just get on with scoring their penalties. 

It obviously worked, but there was a point before Watkins' penalty where I felt that the whole pantomime could have hindered us.

Watkins had much longer to wait for pressure to build, because Martinez was engaging with the crowd/the ref was trying to assert control. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

It obviously worked, but there was a point before Watkins' penalty where I felt that the whole pantomime could have hindered us.

Watkins had much longer to wait for pressure to build, because Martinez was engaging with the crowd/the ref was trying to assert control. 

Yeah that was definitely the point where I was yelling at him to just behave.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

This was more because there was no ball though. The delay wasn't really to do with Martinez; Watkins literally didn't have a ball. Pretty sure the crowd were holding onto it or something.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It wasn't open play

It was in open play at his feet for about a minute, he picked the ball up and got a card straight away. 

The ref lost it, how can anyone watch his performance and not see it? 

Watch the game in the cold light of day and then pull Emi for gamesmanship and ignore what lille did and the ref allowed is very short sighted and basically follows Lille agenda and our media agenda against Emi.

Their players were asking for our players to booked from 5 minutes in, the ref ignored them, never booked them for it. There was countless fouls, pull backs that were just ignored.

Posted (edited)

He won’t be banned, damages the competition to have the main man suspended for two incorrect yellow cards.

I think the yellow was rescinded or not issued anyway, there’s no way that ref knew about a rule no one else had ever heard of. He would’ve been sent off and then the game or shoot out replayed.

Edited by fightoffyour

30 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Just because the yellows go back to zero next game doesn't necessarily mean a suspension is also cancelled surely? You've already earned a suspension by picking up that many yellows before they reset to zero yellows, so why wouldn't you have to serve your suspension?

If you have 11 points on your driving license that expire on New Year's Day and you get done for speeding on Christmas Day and you get a ban, they don't go "oh but these points expire in a few days so therefore you aren't banned" 

Admittedly individual competition rules may state otherwise but I haven't seen anything conclusive about this.

Couple with this there is uncertainty about whether the ref revoked the yellow, and also some uncertainty about whether the penalty shootout yellow counts as a "quarter final" yellow because technically I think it can be argued the game had ended. Whether the penalty shootout existed in a no-man's-land between the quarters and semis I have no idea.

Ah right, so it is to do with the amount of Yellows Emi picked up during the competition to this point? Rather than being because of a two yellow equals a red thing?

32 minutes ago, brommy said:

Cheers Brommy, so he picked up too many yellows so misses a game? 

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

It was in open play at his feet for about a minute, he picked the ball up and got a card straight away. 

The ref lost it, how can anyone watch his performance and not see it? 

Watch the game in the cold light of day and then pull Emi for gamesmanship and ignore what lille did and the ref allowed is very short sighted and basically follows Lille agenda and our media agenda against Emi.

Their players were asking for our players to booked from 5 minutes in, the ref ignored them, never booked them for it. There was countless fouls, pull backs that were just ignored.

In fairness to the ref(!), I watched it back this morning to check the circumstances of the booking. It was a goal kick that hadn't been taken, the ball was not in open play.

Â