Emiliano Martínez

hippo

54 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

One thing I don't get is why the Lille player didn't get booked for booting the ball into the crowd in the first place.  Kick the ball away in normal play you get a booking and if he hadn't done that, Emi doesn't have to ask for a ball, then avoids getting a yellow.

Isn't it because the ball is classed as dead after the goalie has saved it? that's why rebounds can't be scored.

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, bobzy said:

"Fresh from a triumphant penalty shootout against Lille in the Europa Conference League, Aston Villa goalkeeper Emi Martinez decided the local populace needed a more personal touch to truly digest their defeat.

Martinez, not content with merely silencing the roaring crowd at the stadium during the penalty shootout, embarked on an evening stroll through Lille’s quaint streets, knocking on doors to remind residents of the virtues of silence, while offering them his trademark ‘shoulder shuffle’ to those who greeted him at the doorstep."

(Link:  https://newsthump.com/2024/04/19/aston-villas-emi-martinez-spends-evening-going-door-to-door-in-lille-telling-residents-to-shhh/)

:D 

Love it - take a bow 👍🏻

55 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The over analysis is wild.

It was just a good save.

The man has literally redefined how to save penalties and won his country the copa America, the World Cup in the process. Maybe he’ll win us our first trophy in decades in  the same way. 

It was far, far, far  more than just a good save. 

48 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

And their moaning, diving little prick of a right back gets away with waving the imaginary yellow card in the refs face, which is far more of an actual yellow card offence. The ref was a complete clown.

He did get booked for that, the TV just didnt show it.  Should've got a second for a foul on Digne a couple of minutes later as well but the ref bottled it.

6 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

Isn't it because the ball is classed as dead after the goalie has saved it? that's why rebounds can't be scored.

Yeah that was the point, the ball was dead, the player booted it into the crowd which is pretty unsporting behaviour in comparison to going shoosh or asking where the ball is.

1 hour ago, jimmygreaves said:

The suspension is totally out of order. The ref had a shocker all night. Both bookings Emi got were incredibly harsh. First was for time wasting when that wasn't what was happening. The second was for antagonising the crowd (not sure if that's even an offence) when he was asking for a ball from the ball boy.

Shit it 

Yep. He got booked because their fans booed 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah that was the point, the ball was dead, the player booted it into the crowd which is pretty unsporting behaviour in comparison to going shoosh or asking where the ball is.

It actually went pretty close to Martinez's head too.

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

We'll be fine, Olsen will step in.

Emi will be back for tougher away 2nd leg.

Olympiakos are dreadful travellers, away game is where we will need Emi

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

The over analysis is wild.

It was just a good save.

Yep, all of that was total garbage. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

Seen some post by some Man U fan saying that Emi didn’t know the rule etc etc etc

Emi knew…
He knew…
He knew as soon as it went to penalties that the letter of the law allowed him to have another pop at the fans, the players, the opposition - everyone…
He knew he had a free hit to throw them off their game…

God I love that bloke!

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Olympiakos are dreadful travellers, away game is where we will need Emi

Are Olympiakos any good? I mean they’re semi finalists in Europe but how do they rate compared to usual opposition?

Just now, ben1505 said:

Are Olympiakos any good? I mean they’re semi finalists in Europe but how do they rate compared to usual opposition?

They came 3rd in Greek regular season… behind POAK and AEK Athens. I don’t really know what standard the league is. Maybe lower half of the PL/upper half of Champ?

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

They came 3rd in Greek regular season… behind POAK and AEK Athens. I don’t really know what standard the league is. Maybe lower half of the PL/upper half of Champ?

They’re 72 in the World Club rankings… Wolves are 80

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, tinker said:

It was in open play at his feet for about a minute, he picked the ball up and got a card straight away. 

He got booked waiting to take a goal kick

I don’t agree with the booking, but it wasn’t in open play

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

For me Lille would be a better team tham them but they be a step up from the other European teams we played so far

4 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

They’re 72 in the World Club rankings… Wolves are 80

Just had a look and they beat West Ham 2-1 in Greece and lost the other game 1-0 in the Europa group stage. They got pumped 5-0 by Freiburg too hence why they got knocked out into this competition.

they seem very inconsistent looking at their results this season. 

Â