Emiliano Martínez

hippo

26 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Because many journalists are lazy, and rather than do research or look into things, they rely on tropes, narratives and reputation. 

Emi even said about the timewasting thing, that Chevalier (cracking keeper as well btw) was doing similar, and got no attention, because it was at least partially based on reputation. 

That said if anyone can find me the rule that says you can book a player for timewasting when the ball is in play, I would be all ears. How can the ref know about the yellow card peno rule (which it appears no-one else on earth did), but not that it is up to the opposition to stop the goalie hanging onto the ball when it's in play? 

There was also a fan (I know I know) waving for a yellow card for Emi at one point. The ball was in play.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

How can the ref know about the yellow card peno rule (which it appears no-one else on earth did), but not that it is up to the opposition to stop the goalie hanging onto the ball when it's in play? 

Apparently all refs and club official were asked about rules at the draw, this was one question that was asked with club officials getting it wrong. 

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

Apparently all refs and club official were asked about rules at the draw, this was one question that was asked with club officials getting it wrong. 

If last night's ref was there I can imagine the mad bastard sat on his own shunned by the other refs for being a frickin weirdo. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

How can the ref know about the yellow card peno rule (which it appears no-one else on earth did), but not that it is up to the opposition to stop the goalie hanging onto the ball when it's in play? 

I was thinking about this last night , I'd be amazed if that ref could find his way to bed at night , yet alone know the rules so , hypothetically , lets say he gave the second yellow and then  sent Martinez off  and we lost the shoot out , would the tie have to be replayed ? 

I'd love to see Argentina smash France in the next World Cup

Another Martinez mocking of Mbappe would be glorious.

5 minutes ago, brommy said:

Still no formal news on the yellow(s) and potentially missing the first semi leg?

Emi has confused the entirety of Uefa. 

• Haha 1

Emi became a football legend with his Copa and World Cup escapades but they were for Argentina, I'm so glad we have a similar feeling of him doing it in Villa shirt, pulls it alltogether 

• Like 1

Goal keepers all have a huge disadvantage in many situations, particularly penalties, which is fair enough when a team is penalised in normal play, if the penalty is correctly given when a goal scoring opportunity has been prevented by a defensive player but in a penalty shootout the advantage is still massively with the penalty taker, Emi’s actions are merely trying to even up his chances. Even in normal open play one on one with the goalie is considered a huge opportunity to score so his growing reputation is a big advantage to the team. The world’s no. 1 in goal for us is never a bad thing, well anywhere but on the island of depression in the sea of Roasters!! 😡😡😂💪💪💪😎

How can you get a yellow in open play for time wasting. Players take a ball to the corner flag all the time to deliberately waste time, is that bookable now. First yellow should be rescinded. Just a two bob ref trying to make a name for himself.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, brommy said:

Still no formal news on the yellow(s) and potentially missing the first semi leg?

By all accounts he shouldn't be suspended, as the yellow he got in the pen shootout is not listed in the official UEFA page on the match. 

Lille-Aston Villa | UEFA Europa Conference League 2023/24 | UEFA.com

According to that, the last yellow issued by the ref was Gomes on 117 mins.  So, if he hasn't officially received a third yellow, then he should be fine.  Saying that, I'd be more than happy to have Olsen play the 1st leg at home if need be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Â