Emiliano Martínez

hippo

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He got booked waiting to take a goal kick or a free kick (can’t remember which)

I don’t agree with the booking, but it wasn’t in open play

Yep and then when he went to finally take it the ref then stopped him 😂

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Olympiakos are dreadful travellers, away game is where we will need Emi

They beat West Ham at home in the Europa League. So hopefully we can get a good lead in the home leg, then grind out in the 2nd

4 hours ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

This is not good at all.

It's not good, but Olsen has shown signs of improvement this year, and Emi will be back for the second leg (when any shootout will take place), so I'm not going to panic.

Edited by TomC
Added reference to shootout
  • Like 2

I used to think he was third best in the world behind Ederson and Allison. I think Emi is better than those now. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I'd love to see Argentina smash France in the next World Cup

Another Martinez mocking of Mbappe would be glorious.

I would prefer to see Martinez mocking Mbappe after Mbappe moves to Real Madrid next year and we beat Real Madrid in the CL final next year.

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

I used to think he was third best in the world behind Ederson and Allison. I think Emi is better than those now. 

Still weird to think we've gone from the position we were in 5/6 years ago to having a player who's easily the best in the world in his position.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, conorm said:

That is the only possible mitigation - that the shootout booking somehow exists in isolation 🤷🏼‍♂️

Or, as I said last night and others have said, the ref immediately took back the yellow. 

Thats what it looked like at the time. He showed him the yellow and then immediately pointed to the card and waved his arms the same way they do when they cancel a red card after VAR. 

I still think that’s what happened. The booking didn’t stand

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

One thing I don't get is why the Lille player didn't get booked for booting the ball into the crowd in the first place.  Kick the ball away in normal play you get a booking and if he hadn't done that, Emi doesn't have to ask for a ball, then avoids getting a yellow.

Because booting the ball away is a booking for time wasting. 
This wasn’t time wasting

11 hours ago, Jbvilla909 said:

He's a complete nutcase and I love him for that. No better goalkeeper in a shootout. 

Undisputed s*** house 

Is he crazy or calculated? I think that he's a little of both.

Most of the best goalkeepers (whether in football or ice hockey) have that edge to them...

22 minutes ago, TomC said:

Most of the best goalkeepers (whether in football or ice hockey) have that edge to them...

Crazy.

The guys eyes are glazed over and you can tell he's not too far from being out of control. I mean, it works for him!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because booting the ball away is a booking for time wasting. 
This wasn’t time wasting

I think it was more about how it was not far off from Emi or the official

Furious Alex Ferguson over Williams incident | Facebook

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, TomC said:

Calculated with a typical crazy Argentinian emotional personality. .. he has worked with a psychologist on how to get the advantage in games.  And Cuts said that when he joined he was very inward and that he worked with him to bring his personality out  . If you can cry after a shootout then you can change that inward emotion into a more aggressive outwards emotion. Thats what he has done . 

The dancing is planned.  That is different to all other keepers. The shushing is planned. He takes the crowds anger to focus on him and away from his teammates. Bit like Mourinho. 

Its genius but requires someone who has balls of steel to carry it off. The world cup final shootout was won because he controlled everything. Including the ref . 

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 2

He is comfortably our most important player. He's not just world class in terms of ability but also in mentality. He's a born winner and just a huge personality that would be impossible to replace.

• Like 1

Â