Sergio Romero

ender4

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Another 'international' player from a different country. I don't think it's a coincidence. I feel were trying to get the Aston Villa brand out there. Or even make it more homely for South Americans to move to us. 

Who was our last Argentine? 

Arce!!!

5 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Another 'international' player from a different country. I don't think it's a coincidence. I feel were trying to get the Aston Villa brand out there. Or even make it more homely for South Americans to move to us. 

Who was our last Argentine? 

According to Wiki we've never had an Argentinian at Villa

Edit: ignore me. Was looking at the wrong list

Edit2: Gustavo Bartelt and Oscar Fulloné

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's number 3 keeper on big wages so Man. United are certianly offering him around. Was talk of Chelsea last week so they're clearly offering him around clubs. Everton seems an obvious destination given Ancelotti wants to get rid of Pickford.

Yes Man U to Everton for their rejects is a well worn path. 

15 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

People would probably prefer Martinez because he's flavour of the month, but on paper Romero is a far better signing.

I'd be happy with this.

How old is Martinez, from what I saw of him he looked better than Arsenals current number 1 which surprised me. 

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

It just seems a bit strange that are our first two signings could be  a goalkeeper and right back, which are two areas that we are well covered for.

It’s just how deals are competed, the order of signing doesn’t define importance

17 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

How old is Martinez, from what I saw of him he looked better than Arsenals current number 1 which surprised me. 

Martinez is only 28 currently vs Romero at 33. 

Romero has had knee problems where Martinez has no real injury record to speak of.

I would greatly prefer Emi Martinez to Romero personally, particularly as the quoted fees are similar (if there is truth to any of it).

28 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It just seems a bit strange that are our first two signings could be  a goalkeeper and right back, which are two areas that we are well covered for.

We are not well covered at right back because both Guilbert and Elmo aren't good enough. Also Nyland/Steer aren't up to it either so we need a second GK. Sensible business.

I quite like Romero followed him closely when he was at Sampdoria. He played a big part in why Samp got promoted again. That was almost a decade ago thou.

In the last 7 years he's not played much which is a worry. He's averaged about 12 league games a season in all competitions over that period. That's not much is it. He has about the same for Argentina thou so that's quite good.

Disregarding fee and salary my worry is if his body holds up for regular football these days. We'll find out I guess.

Our GK set up is a bit unique to say the least, hopefully we can ship out at least 2 of them this window.

The conspiracy theorist part of my brain just can’t let go of the fact this might be bad news for us even though it’s becoming less likely over time.

Brain says...Man U in long long negotiations over Grealish. Players coming in the other way looking more likely to happen...we bring Romero ‘forward’ as we don’t want to go into the season without a GK. other positions can wait for integration purposes. Grealish moves to them on deadline day. We don’t want it announced yet as it’ll Jack up prices for every target by 30%.

Ill go back to sleep now. 

47 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Maybe a buddy for Buendia?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Martinez is only 28 currently vs Romero at 33. 

Romero has had knee problems where Martinez has no real injury record to speak of.

I would greatly prefer Emi Martinez to Romero personally, particularly as the quoted fees are similar (if there is truth to any of it).

Read he’s probably going to Villareal.