Sergio Romero

ender4

There aren't many goalkeepers that are transferred aged 33, who are fully expecting a first-team place after being number 2 or 3 for years. He'll be pushing Heaton for the jersey which is good for us. In a year or two when they're both mid 30s then we'll be looking to bring a fresher younger keeper in learning from one of these two. Seems like a good piece of business if it comes off.

24 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

It doesn’t. All seems rather O’Neilish to me..

If it means we'll finish 6th I'm all for it. 

As for Romero. He seems a very decent keeper and 8 mil is the new 1 mil. I'm more worried about what this means for how lowly they rate Steer at the club and more importantly - about Heaton's health. His last two injuries have been horrendous and it looks like he's nowhere near fit enough and will likely miss a lot of games ( I'm afraid the same is true for Wesley). It's not an ideal situation but when fully fit having two good experienced keepers sounds quite alright for a team targeting mid-table for the next couple of seasons. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm with you on the numbers not really adding up though.

He's not better than Heaton so does it make sense to spend £8m plus at least £60k a week on a 3/4 year deal. 

Just to pitch another view on it. 

He can easily have 5 years left on his career so a 3/4 year deal isn't that mental. 

His wages might be high, but that's also why you get a discount at the transfer fee.

If we stay up the fee has justified itself. If we go down he will likely have a salary reduction clause. And we would easily have the best goalkeeper in that division. 

I'm all for it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enda said:

The lad has 100 caps for Argentina. We spent more money on Marvelous Nakamba but posters here are complaining about spending £8m on him. Mental.

I don't understand VT sometimes

Our best keeper in the past 15 years or so would have to have been the 67 year old (or thereabouts) Brad Friedel. Romero's age is no real barrier to him being our No 1 for the next four or five years. 

Heaton is a top keeper no doubt but there have to be questions about his reliability and longevity with his recent injury history, so we need someone just as good or better to make sure we are not left exposed in this position like we were last season. 

As for his wages, that is a potential stumbling block I'm sure, but hopefully we can get this done. 

• Like 2

Wages are what they are, more or less every first team player we sign this summer will want north of £50k a week, if grealish signs a new deal he will likely become our first £100k a week player, if we shift Kalinic and Nyland then the actual wage increase isn't that much

I'm surprised by it but not pissed off, not sure how anyone could be pissed off by it, obviously a good player, would be considered a big name signing from outsiders looking in, Heaton coming back off a big injury

3 hours ago, Enda said:

The lad has 100 caps for Argentina. We spent more money on Marvelous Nakamba but posters here are complaining about spending £8m on him. Mental.

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't understand VT sometimes

Is that true though?, aren't most comments about wages?

Perrsonally I would stump 8-10m no problem for him.

However, what about his wages?, grealish may be in the 70k a week region?, I can't imagine many or any of our other players are close to 70k, so if we recruited romero on 80-100k, would be interesting to see how that would impact the other players (ie: would there be a lot of people asking for a pay rise or unhappy because of the wage differential?)

Also, 80-100k wages for someone who may or may not be no1?

Who knows, would still happily sign him though (or martinez).

Edited by MaVilla

2 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

If it means we'll finish 6th I'm all for it. 

As for Romero. He seems a very decent keeper and 8 mil is the new 1 mil. I'm more worried about what this means for how lowly they rate Steer at the club and more importantly - about Heaton's health. His last two injuries have been horrendous and it looks like he's nowhere near fit enough and will likely miss a lot of games ( I'm afraid the same is true for Wesley). It's not an ideal situation but when fully fit having two good experienced keepers sounds quite alright for a team targeting mid-table for the next couple of seasons. 

Why are you worried about how low they rate Steer? He is a decent keeper but Romero is better than Steer. 

• Like 1

If we want to compete in this league the overall wage structure will have to increase. So how will it be sustainable ? Well our very rich owners will have to fund it until revenues start to increase due to being a more successful team.  The only way that can happen is if FFP in its current form is relaxed. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Why are you worried about how low they rate Steer? He is a decent keeper but Romero is better than Steer. 

I just like the lad. Might be wishful thinking or just knowing f all about football, but I thought he'd be alright as a number 2 keeper and I would have been fine with him playing until Heaton is ready. Everything since lockdown, however, suggests he's even behind Nyland. 

I agree that Romero is a better keeper. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

1 minute ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I just like the lad. Might be wishful thinking or just know f all about football, but I thought he'd be alright as a number 2 keeper and I would have been fine with him playing until Heaton is ready. Everything since lockdown, however, suggests he's even behind Nyland. 

I agree that Romero is a better keeper. 

The problem is both heaton and steer seem to have had a lot of issues recently with injuries.

Both heaton and steer were injured at the same time last season.

56 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Is that true though?, aren't most comments about wages?

Perrsonally I would stump 8-10m no problem for him.

However, what about his wages?, grealish may be in the 70k a week region?, I can't imagine many or any of our other players are close to 70k, so if we recruited romero on 80-100k, would be interesting to see how that would impact the other players (ie: would there be a lot of people asking for a pay rise or unhappy because of the wage differential?)

Also, 80-100k wages for someone who may or may not be no1?

Who knows, would still happily sign him though (or martinez).

We won't be paying him 80-100k so the point is moot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

I assume he can't be terrible if he's the Argentine #1, but then my Argentinian goalkeeping knowledge isnt what it once was...

#bringbackcarlosroa

I hope you're equipped for a search in the Argentinian Andes. You'll have to find him first before bringing him back.

21 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I don't know why people are surprised that Steer isn't rated.

He's been loaned out by every Villa manager he has ever had. Yes he had a decent spell when he had to fill in last season, but he's clearly not good enough for this level and there's no indication that anyone at the club feels any differently. We've been in the market for goalkeepers in nearly every transfer window since we got relegated.

Steer is 27 now. He's not some developing kid.

I like the guy and he's done well for us for a short period of time. But he's not good enough. He's third choice behind Nyland and I'm sure if Kalinic was integrated back into the squad (which I don't expect to happen) he'd be behind him too. 

He's essentially irrelevant to our transfer business in this position, unfortunately

• Like 3