Sergio Romero

ender4

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Disagree big time.

Heaton is absolutely outstanding aside from with the ball at his feet.

Give me a keeper than catches and holds every tricky ball into the box over anyone one that makes flashy saves.

I like Romero but if Heaton gets fit we can't be paying £60k+ to a guy who isn't going to play.

A loan makes so much more sense for this role this summer IMO.

Agree to disagree, but whoever you prefer, having Heaton and Romero means we have a very very good keeper even if one is out with injury. They're no spring chickens, but we'd be sorted in the keeper department for two or three years at least. By that time if all goes to plan we'll have progressed to being at least a solid premier League team and will be able to tempt other top keepers when we need them. It's been a problem position for us since Johnstone left (and I didn't particularly rate him that highly either). Romero and Heaton would be a pair of keepers that very few PL teams could better. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

But we absolutely need an experienced keeper for the first third of the season at the very least - subject to a full recovery from Heaton - we cannot afford the gaffs of our other stand ins. £8 mill to achieve this? I can't see the issue myself. 

I find it crazy how they're trying to tell us we're looking for good deals, these things take time etc. and our answer is paying £8mill for a GK we could get for free in 9 months time and he could easily be irrelevant to us depending on Heaton's form returning from Injury. Now seems a perfect time to either get a loan to cover Heaton, or at least go for someone a bit younger so he can learn under Heaton. Martinez is the perfect candidate for me. May cost more but has potential and at least a bit of resale value. I bet you wouldn't another team in the Prem who would spend anywhere near £8mill on a 2nd choice GK with 9 months left on his contract Madness

7 minutes ago, blunther said:

Heaton could easily miss the first 8-10 games and be rusty on his return. Playing Nyland instead would cost us points. We saw last season just how valuable a single point can be. Romero for three seasons for £20m or thereabouts (fee and wages) to compete with Heaton to ensure we always have a top class keeper available is an absolute steal for me.

How much would you value Romero at if he had 3 years left on his contract then? 15-20mill? 

Let's remember Aaron Ramsdale who's only just turned 22 went in the middle of his contract for £18mill and will probably be paid half of what Romero will be on.

13 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

He’s 6’4” according to Wiki! Never realised he was so tall, always had him down as quite short in my mind. Shows how little I’ve seen of him. 90+ caps for Argentina is not to be sniffed at. 

He'll be even taller when he signs for us

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

How much would you value Romero at if he had 3 years left on his contract then? 15-20mill? 

Let's remember Aaron Ramsdale who's only just turned 22 went in the middle of his contract for £18mill and will probably be paid half of what Romero will be on.

I'll be honest I don't really care how long he has left on his contract. If he's cheaper because it's short then great. I would take Romero over Ramsdale any day of the week personally. I know it's a short term fix, but it's a bloody good fix. Worry about him turning 37 closer to the time. I'll happily just enjoy having a selection of top quality keepers rather than what we've been doing the last three years. 

Do we think this is a genuine link?

Do we really think we would sign another "no1" on 100k a week? (assuming we dont have a single player on 100k - isnt Grealish only on 60/70k?)

Not against the transfer, but seems a strange link.

No real objection to this but would have much preferred Martinez (if possible). A younger, more long term signing who can be a key part of the team for many years...

I just hope we aren’t focussing on short term signings as the recent (probably BS) links seem to indicate.

35 minutes ago, blunther said:

I'll be honest I don't really care how long he has left on his contract. If he's cheaper because it's short then great. I would take Romero over Ramsdale any day of the week personally. I know it's a short term fix, but it's a bloody good fix. Worry about him turning 37 closer to the time. I'll happily just enjoy having a selection of top quality keepers rather than what we've been doing the last three years. 

Our backroom staff seem to not care about contract length either when it comes to transfer fee's 😂 Romero over Ramsdale is a crazy opinion but you're entitled to it so fair enough. And how is this any different to what we've been doing the last few years? Kalinic and Nyland are both international GK's. If anything, we'll be doing the exact same thing we've been doing the last three years.

I know we all love a good Twitter ITK. Here’s another. This guy has 30k followers including The Athletic Man Utd reporter Laurie Whitwell. 

Fourth Official has also tweeted it, who’s one of the more respected tweeters ITK.

Looks like this might be happening. 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Sergio Romero!

My suggestion on here in 2015. Three months before we signed Mark Bunn on a free.

Ah yes, the summer of 2015. What a wonderful.... ly awful time