Sergio Romero

ender4

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Can't understand people turning their nose up at this to be honest.

A keeper of Romero's quality to compete with Heaton for the number one spot. And for £8m?

I don't see the issue

Some people can't get excited till we sign some random player that none of us have heard of from a league god knows where for stupid money

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

not a fan if honest, looks OK in cup and Europa games for United vs poor teams but even with De Gea making regular mistakes he cant get near the team

You’re right, over half of his Europa League appearances this season involved not making a single save. He solely plays against lower league opposition where over half the time he quite literally doesn’t have to do anything. Then people laud the clean sheets as some sort of masterstroke. The less he does the better he seems to become. He’s bang average and struggles to even get down for low shots. Would expect him to end up being benched by Heaton. Just like he was benched at Sampdoria, and was benched at Monaco and was always benched at United. He simply isn’t that good. 

5 minutes ago, tommybread said:

You’re right, over half of his Europa League appearances this season involved not making a single save. He solely plays against lower league opposition where over half the time he quite literally doesn’t have to do anything. Then people laud the clean sheets as some sort of masterstroke. The less he does the better he seems to become. He’s bang average and struggles to even get down for low shots. Would expect him to end up being benched by Heaton. Just like he was benched at Sampdoria, and was benched at Monaco and was always benched at United. He simply isn’t that good. 

Romero's a strange one. When he does play for Man. United he never seems to be bombarded with shots like De Gea has been when he was really good 2-3 years ago. It's true he mainly plays against weaker attacks in cups but I remember him playing away to Arsenal and Chelsea in FA cup last season and he only conceded a goal over the two games.

Was also the regular in their 2017 europa league win, kept a clean sheet v Ajax in the final who'd scored loads in the other rounds. Argentina also kept loads of clean sheets in 2014 world cup.

Can only conclude he's really good at organising the defence so there aren't shots reigning in every 5 minutes but then he dosen't seem the most vocal keeper either!

Really difficult one to judge, I have my doubts over him suddenly becoming number one after playing less than 10 league games in 5 years.

9 minutes ago, tommybread said:

Getting benched behind Subasic and De Gea isn't that something to be ashamed of. I like Heaton, but they are both better keepers.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Strange link unless Deano is really worried about Heaton.

I would be amazed if we could match his wages so either he is willing to take a cut or Man U will do some sort of golden goodbye.

Or the rumour is boll*ks.

He's number 3 keeper on big wages so Man. United are certianly offering him around. Was talk of Chelsea last week so they're clearly offering him around clubs. Everton seems an obvious destination given Ancelotti wants to get rid of Pickford.

Think it's funny how all season Man u fans going off about nicking a player off us, yet the tables turn and we do it to them.

Many are gutted about losing Romero and say he deserves first team football so they must really rate him.

Could be an excellent signing for us.

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

My worry is his name has come up a few times in connection with a deal for Grealish. 🤢🤮

Pretty much every Grealish to Manure link has been made up bollocks and you think he as Villa fan or owners would throw the team under the bus this close to new season?

Considering the fee, his wages and his age - this doesn't make much sense IF true.

£8m would buy you Butland who has a much higher chance of recouping a fee, on much lower wages and young enough to rediscover his form. £10m is the price quoted for Martinez and he too is much younger, almost certainly on cheaper wages and has some sell-on value.

If we were seriously lacking keepers it'd perhaps make sense but he's probably no better than Heaton, is too old to be an investment and would require too much in wages to be an economical number 2. Can you really justify £8m plus wages for 12 months+ for the sake of even 8 games? No fan of our keeper department but we're not that bad.

If investing in a keeper I'd hope it is someone younger than Heaton who can battle for the No.1 spot before making it their own as Heaton gets older.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Considering the fee, his wages and his age - this doesn't make much sense IF true.

£8m would buy you Butland who has a much higher chance of recouping a fee, on much lower wages and young enough to rediscover his form. £10m is the price quoted for Martinez and he too is much younger, almost certainly on cheaper wages and has some sell-on value.

If we were seriously lacking keepers it'd perhaps make sense but he's probably no better than Heaton, is too old to be an investment and would require too much in wages to be an economical number 2. Can you really justify £8m plus wages for 12 months+ for the sake of even 8 games? No fan of our keeper department but we're not that bad.

If investing in a keeper I'd hope it is someone younger than Heaton who can battle for the No.1 spot before making it their own as Heaton gets older.

Butland would never recoup a fee as he’s decided he’s one of the worst players in England.

This signing makes sense. I love Heaton but he’s getting on and now at ‘his age’ is recovering from an ACL. Who knows if he will ever really be able to perform again. That’s not a risk worth taking in the PL. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I wouldn't be touching Butland unless it was under a million after the season he just had. 

I'm with you on the numbers not really adding up though.

He's not better than Heaton so does it make sense to spend £8m plus at least £60k a week on a 3/4 year deal. 

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

not a fan if honest, looks OK in cup and Europa games for United vs poor teams but even with De Gea making regular mistakes he cant get near the team

All the comments I've seen from United fans are positive if I'm honest.

Some say he was treated unfairly last season as well etc.

It's difficult to actually judge just how good he is but I would rather him than Butland and Ramsdale. Stick Romero in sticks for Bournemouth or Stoke and he'd be pulling off impressive number of saves. It's more the calmness and organisation that he seems to possess that adds a bit more to the potential signing.