Matty Cash

paul514

46 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I will stick my neck out and say he is one of the best 5 crossers of a ball in English football. Cash, De Bruyne, Trent Alexander Arnold, Ward Prowse and..... Actually can't think of anyone else who might be better than him.

Don't underestimate the quality of an Elmo cross.

Edit: Decided to use whoscored stats to calculate and rank the crossing accuracies of players this season for the hell of it. Seemed fun to do.

I'm only looking at players who are averaging at least 1 accurate cross per 90 minutes and have played at least 500 minutes(which sadly disqualifies Barkley who has put in a remarkable 42% crossing accuracy in his 455 minutes this season so far). 

Also if the 2 players happened to have the same crossing acccuracy rounded to 2 significant figures, the one that put in more crosses total is ranked higher.

1-Jamal Lewis-45%

2-Andros Townsend-37%

3-Mason Mount-37%

4-Pascal Gros-35%

5-Luke Shaw-34%

6-Aaron Cresswell-32%

7-Tom Cairney-32%

8-Leandro Trossard-32%

9-Kalvin Phillips-32%

10-Vladimir Coufal-31%

11-Arthur Masuaku-31%

12-Gyilfi Sigurdsson-30%

13-Matheus Pereira-30%

14-Son Heung-Min-29%

15-Tariq Lamptey-29%

16-Lucas Digne-28%

17-James Ward-Prowse-28%

18-Bruno Fernandes-28%

19-Eberechi Eze-28%

20-Pedro Neto-27%

21-Antonee Robinson-27%

22-John Fleck-27%

23-Jarrod Bowen-26%

24-Kevin de Bruyne-25%

25-Ben Osborn-25%

26-Dwight Mcneil-24%

27-James Maddison-24%

28-Ben Chilwell-24%

29-Matt Phillips-24%

30-Trent Alexander-Arnold-23%

31-Bertrand Traore-23%

32-Reece James-22%

33-Raphinha-22%

34-Ashley Westwood-22%

35-Andrew Robertson-21%

36-James Rodriguez-21%

37-John Lundstram-20%

38-Jack Harrison-18%

39-Adama Traore-18%

40-Willian-14%

Cash isn't on the list because whoscored lists him as having only 0.9 successful crosses per 90. But his crossing success rate is 24% regardless.

Obviously Elmo isn't on there due to how little he's played this season but his crossing success rate last season was 33%

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Blimey it really is all about winning and losing!

There were loads of positives tonight.

Positive as in a player versus their "normal" or average was what I meant. Was a bit late last night.

Edited by AVTuco

5 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Don't underestimate the quality of an Elmo cross.

Edit: Decided to use whoscored stats to calculate and rank the crossing accuracies of players this season for the hell of it. Seemed fun to do.

I'm only looking at players who are averaging at least 1 accurate cross per 90 minutes and have played at least 500 minutes(which sadly disqualifies Barkley who has put in a remarkable 42% crossing accuracy in his 455 minutes this season so far). 

Also if the 2 players happened to have the same crossing acccuracy rounded to 2 significant figures, the one that put in more crosses total is ranked higher.

1-Jamal Lewis-45%

2-Andros Townsend-37%

3-Mason Mount-37%

4-Pascal Gros-35%

5-Luke Shaw-34%

6-Aaron Cresswell-32%

7-Tom Cairney-32%

8-Leandro Trossard-32%

9-Kalvin Phillips-32%

10-Vladimir Coufal-31%

11-Arthur Masuaku-31%

12-Gyilfi Sigurdsson-30%

13-Matheus Pereira-30%

14-Son Heung-Min-29%

15-Tariq Lamptey-29%

16-Lucas Digne-28%

17-James Ward-Prowse-28%

18-Bruno Fernandes-28%

19-Eberechi Eze-28%

20-Pedro Neto-27%

21-Antonee Robinson-27%

22-John Fleck-27%

23-Jarrod Bowen-26%

24-Kevin de Bruyne-25%

25-Ben Osborn-25%

26-Dwight Mcneil-24%

27-James Maddison-24%

28-Ben Chilwell-24%

29-Matt Phillips-24%

30-Trent Alexander-Arnold-23%

31-Bertrand Traore-23%

32-Reece James-22%

33-Raphinha-22%

34-Ashley Westwood-22%

35-Andrew Robertson-21%

36-James Rodriguez-21%

37-John Lundstram-20%

38-Jack Harrison-18%

39-Adama Traore-18%

40-Willian-14%

Cash isn't on the list because whoscored lists him as having only 0.9 successful crosses per 90. But his crossing success rate is 24% regardless.

Obviously Elmo isn't on there due to how little he's played this season but his crossing success rate last season was 33%

Well I got told.!!! 

Only thing I'll say regarding those stats is sometimes we only have one person in the box. A couple of times Watkins was on his heels and didn't get across the defender.

Lewis is only on that list because of everytime he is in the oppo half he is instructed to swing in a looping floaty dead cross onto the head of Carroll or Joelinton should they be in the pitch so Newcastle can look for 50-50s and knockdowns.

Edit : Yep, not a single assist. Get it in the mixer!

Edited by rodders0223

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s an absolutely superb player and my favourite behind Grealish. 

Fantastic signing and we should be looking to tie him down to an even bigger contract when we get the chance as his performances are consistently superb. 

Love him, not much gets through him and you can see his style influencing Targett, who has gone through the roof compared to last year, great fullbacks.

5 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Positive as in a player versus their "normal" or average was what I meant. Was a bit late last night.

No I saw a couple of your posts last night in the match and you seemed incredibly pessimistic during the game even in the spells we were playing well so I simply can't get this view it's better to be in the championship playing average football winning 2-0 v likes of Bolton and Rotherham on a Tuesday at VP infront of 25k just because we win a few more games.

We had poor runs of winless games in those three championship seasons aswell. We only actually won 16 games in 16/17 aswell so very good chance we'll beat that number this season. Only won 20 in 18/19 which massive suprised me just checking again now.

Edited by VillaChris

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

No I saw a couple of your posts last night in the match and you seemed incredibly pessimistic during the game even in the spells we were playing well so I simply can't get this view it's better to be in the championship playing average football winning 2-0 v likes of Bolton and Rotherham on a Tuesday at VP infront of 25k just because we win a few more games.

We had poor runs of winless games in those three championship seasons aswell. We only actually won 16 games in 16/17 aswell so very good chance we'll beat that number this season. Only won 20 in 18/19 which massive suprised me just checking again now.

Having had a taste of being dominant is addictive. Yesterday we obviously weren't, so my feeling was downbeat all game.

• Like 1

This is starting to look like an excellent piece of business, he's been good from the start, but there were glimpses of potential mistakes here and there. But the mistakes have been few and far between, he's reliable, dynamic, good on the ball, great delivery, and pretty much all you can want from a modern full back. 

And it's only his second ever season in that position and first at this level, he's still got a Greta margin of improvement.

1 hour ago, WooJung said:

This is starting to look like an excellent piece of business, he's been good from the start, but there were glimpses of potential mistakes here and there. But the mistakes have been few and far between, he's reliable, dynamic, good on the ball, great delivery, and pretty much all you can want from a modern full back. 

And it's only his second ever season in that position and first at this level, he's still got a Greta margin of improvement.

How Dare You Greta GIF

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Having had a taste of being dominant is addictive. Yesterday we obviously weren't, so my feeling was downbeat all game.

Understandable, but it's important to keep perspective here. Just being in the game against a top side like them is fantastic. We shouldn't be expecting to win those games realistically, so the fact we could, and probably should, have got something from it is encouraging.

It's important as a fanbase that we don't get ahead of ourselves. We are in danger of becoming spoilt, and that can easily lead to toxicity which can ultimately undermine the team's morale.

(None of this is aimed at you btw - just a general point I think needs saying.)

• Like 2

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

I want to see Cash have a few more pops on goal. He's got some juice in his shots from what I've seen during his forest days.

Players are often encouraged now to shoot from range nowadays (unless your name is El Ghazi) due to percentages. Which is probably why we haven't seen much of it, especially playing at right back now.

40 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Players are often encouraged now to shoot from range nowadays (unless your name is El Ghazi) due to percentages. Which is probably why we haven't seen much of it, especially playing at right back now.

I think it's probably down to the fact of bedding in at a new team at a higher level more than anything. 

As his confidence grows I think we'll see even more from him in an attacking sense. He's been great for us so far and I think he'll only get better. 

Really hope he can kick on even further than he has already and sneak into the England squad...

Grealish and Mings and possibly Cash, Konsa and Watkins at the Euros...

That would be awesome and an excellent statement of the rapid progress we have made as a club...

Â