Matty Cash

paul514

Matty Cash is honestly one of my favourite Villa players at the moment but I think despite Traore leaving him exposed time and time again, he has struggled in certain games - I think that was certainly the case vs Burnley  and Leeds is another that springs to mind which is was back when Trez was in the XI.

All in all for his 2nd season as right back and first in prem he's doing incredible in what is probably one of the hardest roles in the league. Have high hopes for him and so impressed with how he's acquitted himself so far but have the feeling teams are clocking on to the fact he can got at.

Worthy spot in team of season, so far. Has been largely exceptional.

That said, i thought he had a terrible second half at Burnley,  although not helped at all by Traore who should have been brought off long before he was. 2 of their 3 goals came from his wing, although only one of which (i felt) was directly his fault.

The fluke cross/goal he went to mark their centre forward instead of following the winger, and then made a poor effort to block the cross. Maybe he was expecting Traore to track him,  but Cash had no need to be where he was when the ball got played out wide.

The cross for Woods header was a less blatant error, but his jump with his hands behind his back was pathetic. Its is a symptom of the crap hand ball rules these days.  No way he's getting the height he needs to block a cross without using his arms to help propel himself. Can't really blame him for the fact Targett was then marking Woods either. 

How he learns from these is another matter, as without a winger who consistently tracks back there will be 50:50 calls for him to make, and will result in the wrong choice being made on occasion. Bring back Trez.

• Like 1

He's getting better, certainly - he's not as good as Targett yet IMO but I have high hopes for him. The defensive side of the game is still lacking a bit and it seems weird to me that if he ever makes a mistake, it's Traore's fault. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

He had a scowl on his face and said "**** off" to someone but I didn't see if it was to a teammate or to an opponent. First time I've seen him angry.

Noticed that too. He said "**** off. What you on about?! **** off"

It was after a ball into his channel that be closed down at put out for a corner.

My guess would be Konsa or Mings for calling him out on something to do with that.

I really like him. Great addition. 

He can be a bit Neil Taylor-y at times though and turn out to play it back to a CB instead of driving forward. 

Bit of a shame as his delivery is very good when we've seen him put the ball into the box.

1 hour ago, May-Z said:

Noticed that too. He said "**** off. What you on about?! **** off"

It was after a ball into his channel that be closed down at put out for a corner.

My guess would be Konsa or Mings for calling him out on something to do with that.

Unless someone asked him if he got juggling balls for Christmas??

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

I do think he was lucky with the handball but made a brilliant block on the line late on. Thank god he has a tiny arse as well. 

Smith said in an interview that he was glad that he hasn't got an arse like McGinn 😂

• Haha 2

Guys an all action full back, can go forward or keep it tight and defend, make crosses or make timed challenges. Really like him, seems to have the “winner” attitude that we are encouraging throughout, that spat with Konsa is a good sign of them giving a sh*t !

You’ve got to hand it to him. He’s been a very handy right back for us this season. He’s had a hand in great defensive work, but also a hand it the attacking half. 

Villa Park will be raucous with all the clapping of hands when this team can finally have a crowd to play in front of, and Cash’s all action displays will go hand-in-hand with that. 

👏 

• Like 1

Â