Matty Cash

paul514

Cracking player once again left exposed at times as Brighton looked to overload with their wingbacks. It's happening most weeks now. Smith tried to change things around when he put Trezeguet on the left, Traore on the right and Jack through the middle but it still wasn't working. Understandly Jack was knackered and couldn't track back but Trez and Traore need to really work on helping their fullbacks.

Cash was reluctant to make any sorts of overlaps last match. Douglas Luiz was, at times urging and directing him forward so he could make a pass. I assume it was down to instructions, but none the less frustrating to watch. We've probably been giving away too many chances on that side and he's been told to be more defensive. Seems like he was struggling to find a balance though. 

1 hour ago, Skruff said:

Cash was reluctant to make any sorts of overlaps last match. Douglas Luiz was, at times urging and directing him forward so he could make a pass. I assume it was down to instructions, but none the less frustrating to watch. We've probably been giving away too many chances on that side and he's been told to be more defensive. Seems like he was struggling to find a balance though. 

Yeah noticed it with Cash and definitely Targett this season, definitely instructions to hang back.

Quite frustrating then that we couldn't find a winger better than Trez for £18m who can attack his man efficiently.

On 27/11/2020 at 19:28, Tomaszk said:

Forgot Benrahma plays for Wham now. He gets space he kills us. Luckily space isn't something Mr. Cash gives up too generously.

Be a good battle for Matty if he starts for them.

Every player we was going to buy and didnt does ace against us lol.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Haha 1

On 27/11/2020 at 20:28, Tomaszk said:

Forgot Benrahma plays for Wham now. He gets space he kills us. Luckily space isn't something Mr. Cash gives up too generously.

Be a good battle for Matty if he starts for them.

just seen that

i completely disagree! i think its a massive problem in our defence and we are conceding copycat goals because of it, in his and targetts defence it looks a tactical decision from the manager

capture.jpg

Thats their winning goal, he's nowhere near benrahma, targett on the other side in nowhere near bowen, mings is about to step out to the ball but he doesnt get anywhere near there before the pass its actually luiz who gets the closest to closing down whoever that WH midfielder is, dont get me wrong he gets over to him because benrahma slows it down waiting for the run in to the box but then look at the goal - 

capture.jpg

again targett is nowhere near "his" man should the cross be deeper

the interesting one for me was rewatching the southampton game because i thought it was worse than what it actually was, he tracks walcott really well until the edge of our box image.png.33e0c457f644fa9544bb9392a1cf6864.png then he doesnt spot walcott slowing down behind him where cash cant see him capture.jpg and then to compound it he completely misjudges the flight of the ball and under jumps it capture.jpg capture.jpg which means by the end of the movement look how far away from walcott he actually is capture.jpg

sounds like i dont rate him but i really do! i think the southampton handball is his only bad mistake and theres a lot of positives to him, but the tucking in is a real concern for me, its shit and its the coaching

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

just seen that

i completely disagree! i think its a massive problem in our defence and we are conceding copycat goals because of it, in his and targetts defence it looks a tactical decision from the manager

capture.jpg

Thats their winning goal, he's nowhere near benrahma, targett on the other side in nowhere near bowen, mings is about to step out to the ball but he doesnt get anywhere near there before the pass its actually luiz who gets the closest to closing down whoever that WH midfielder is, dont get me wrong he gets over to him because benrahma slows it down waiting for the run in to the box but then look at the goal - 

capture.jpg

again targett is nowhere near "his" man should the cross be deeper

the interesting one for me was rewatching the southampton game because i thought it was worse than what it actually was, he tracks walcott really well until the edge of our box image.png.33e0c457f644fa9544bb9392a1cf6864.png then he doesnt spot walcott slowing down behind him where cash cant see him capture.jpg and then to compound it he completely misjudges the flight of the ball and under jumps it capture.jpg capture.jpg which means by the end of the movement look how far away from walcott he actually is capture.jpg

sounds like i dont rate him but i really do! i think the southampton handball is his only bad mistake and theres a lot of positives to him, but the tucking in is a real concern for me, its shit and its the coaching

I really want to see this post but it's covered in broken images for me? Loads of "capture.jpg"

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I really want to see this post but it's covered in broken images for me? Loads of "capture.jpg"

The main picture was from the sky sports highlights on YouTube paused at 1.18 

Cash is a good 5m away from Benrahma as he's tucking in narrow, he even starts a run to match haller who is running in between konsa and Mings but then checks it 

https://youtu.be/ooxidMeNtsM

Edited by villa4europe

Both fullbacks keep coming far to much inside near enough on the centre backs, most goals we have conceded is due to them giving too much space down the sides, cash has done it too many times where we have conceded now, Ings at home, March and West Ham’s 2nd was down to him not being out wider 

• Like 2

On 04/12/2020 at 11:37, villa4europe said:

The main picture was from the sky sports highlights on YouTube paused at 1.18 

Cash is a good 5m away from Benrahma as he's tucking in narrow, he even starts a run to match haller who is running in between konsa and Mings but then checks it 

https://youtu.be/ooxidMeNtsM

The YouTube video isn’t available outside Germany, so here’s a photo of the moment villa4europe is talking about.

538-EAA68-D039-4-A32-9171-DFC917-B3341-A

That positioning 🙈

• Thanks 1

On 04/12/2020 at 20:48, rbcuk said:

Both fullbacks keep coming far to much inside near enough on the centre backs, most goals we have conceded is due to them giving too much space down the sides, cash has done it too many times where we have conceded now, Ings at home, March and West Ham’s 2nd was down to him not being out wider 

You have to wonder if it's the player or the instruction, tbh. Targett has done that at times too. 

On 06/12/2020 at 17:19, Enda said:

Pic doesn’t come out clear. Here’s the link:

https://ibb.co/WfV1qWT 

I think the original is better. Benrahma is so far away he's not even in the frame.

Alas, this is something that can be corrected/trained, assuming it isn't a conscious tactical decision. I never like leaving the winger in that much space but it does seem to be a preferred tactic these days, and not just for us.

Just gone back to rewatch the second goal. His positioning talked about here isn't the main problem for me.

He is too narrow, I think most full backs will be told to tuck in (not as much as he is) because the ball has to travel past him to get to benrahma which is where he should then have time to close down. Also, if he is too far separated from his CB, he is vulnerable to the ball in the gap for benrahma to run into. Also, benrahma isn't hugging the touchline at all really.

It's the intensity with which he closes down which is the main problem for me. He doesn't do enough to stop the cross. Benrahma doesn't do much to make space to deliver a cross. He just has time to pick the perfect cross. Particularly as we all know benrahma will always cut inside onto his right foot, he has to do more to stop the cross.

He's a work in progress though, and has done well in the main.

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

You have to wonder if it's the player or the instruction, tbh. Targett has done that at times too. 

You’d think they would see this for themselves on the pitch and move wider, I used to play right back for the district as a kid, we was always told to keep so far away from the centre backs, It’ll be the same against wolves and there wingers this wkend both will be on top of Konsa and Mings, when they have traore and Neto who always hug the touchline 

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

Just gone back to rewatch the second goal. His positioning talked about here isn't the main problem for me.

He is too narrow, I think most full backs will be told to tuck in (not as much as he is) because the ball has to travel past him to get to benrahma which is where he should then have time to close down. Also, if he is too far separated from his CB, he is vulnerable to the ball in the gap for benrahma to run into. Also, benrahma isn't hugging the touchline at all really.

It's the intensity with which he closes down which is the main problem for me. He doesn't do enough to stop the cross. Benrahma doesn't do much to make space to deliver a cross. He just has time to pick the perfect cross. Particularly as we all know benrahma will always cut inside onto his right foot, he has to do more to stop the cross.

He's a work in progress though, and has done well in the main.

I thought this too when I saw the video. It was probably alright in the championship where 90% of wingers are not as good as Benrahma but in the PL where 90% of wingers are as good as if not better than Benrahma it becomes a problem. It's a learning curve for him and he has done welll up until now. It only becomes an issue if it continues to happen.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah that's horrific.

Haller isn't a dangerous player. Why they seem so concerned about such a non prolific striker i don't know.

Because if he scores then you be forever crying 🙄

On 04/12/2020 at 18:48, rbcuk said:

He has saved us by coming inside to cover more times that it has cost us.

Â