Matty Cash

paul514

8 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I Work with a few ST holding Forest fans and the main one of those says his favorite player is Matty Cash. He actually said a few weeks ago that he'd heard we were after him but i dismissed it at the time as likely paper talk as i'd heard nothing my end. As it happens I asked him at the time  if he would take Lansbury back & he laughed & said "No thanks you can keep him". He asked if asked if HL had ever played for us?  That made me realise that actually i could barely remember a game he'd started! 

Anyone know what his longest run of games has been for us as a matter of interest? He's been a shocking signing really.

i think he started 2 Prem games last season (bad mistake), and came off the bench 8-10 times. (looking at it, he played roughly 170 minutes of PL football last season)

think he also played 3 or 4 times in the cup(s) (totalling about 260 mins)

what a shocking purchase this guy was, i dread to think the wage he is on......

weirdly, i can see him regaining some measure of success at a mid table champiosnship club.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Why ? I don't get this. Himself and Jamal Lewis had individually and collectively bad seasons. I don't get the hype. The logic that he has a season in the PL is kind of a moot point if it wasn't a good one. Joe Bryan essentially got Fulham to the PL but he was so bad in it the last time they don't trust that he can cut it again so signed Robinson. I think Cash , for the fee reported, is great business.

PL experience mantra is strong. Personally don't get it. Struggling to think of brilliant PL experienced signings in the PL last season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

My opinion is if we sign say Cash, Watkins and Swift  and 1 or 2 more of that standard we will almost certainly be in a relegation battle and I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped. 

So buying 5 players that easily improve a first 11 that stayed in the league last season, means that we will "almost certainly be in a relegation battle" again?

Have a word with yourself mate. 

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i think he started 2 Prem games last season (bad mistake), and came off the bench 8-10 times. (looking at it, he played roughly 170 minutes of PL football last season)

Around £40k pw

Sad Homer Simpson GIF

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, av1 said:

So buying 5 players that easily improve a first 11 that stayed in the league last season, means that we will "almost certainly be in a relegation battle" again?

Not sure how Brighton Palace Newcastle to name a few are great shakes for survival before we make any signings. People just being doom and gloom for the sake of it

25 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

OK, so we don't know a figure for sure. This is why I said it may be 50% or 75% of that if you read what I said in my original comment. 

I don't believe £100m is beyond our owners, they backed Smith heavily last summer and have the means to do so again this summer. It's common knowledge they weren't happy with how last season went and want to improve.

If you still don't believe it this is quoting Dean in the Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/07/20/dean-smith-reveals-aston-villas-billionaire-owners-will-spend/ 

Did you read the bit where I said £100million needn't be the upper limit, particularly considering we spent more last summer?

Times have changed and I can well see us spending a similar amount this season as we did last season.

The bits I don't believe is the made up stuff from Twitter/The Mail/Sunday Mirror. We don't know anything other than the fact we have wealthy owners who showed last year they will spend. I guess now we'll have to see what happens.

Edited by Rolta

We need players that improve the squad, have the right mentality and fit the style of play we're aiming to play. If Cash ticks all those boxes, get the lad in. I don't care if I haven't heard much of him, as long as our scouting team and management rate him as a good option for the squad. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

weirdly, i can see him regaining some measure of success at a mid table champiosnship club.

When people talk about the need to improve our team, while I do think we need more quality in the first team, it’s having players like Lansbury upgraded that will make the big difference. If instead of starting 2 games and coming on as a sub a few times we had a midfielder pushing to start and making an impact when they came on that would make a big difference. Our biggest challenge has been only having such a small ‘useable’ squad. 

Agree that I think Lansbury would do fine back in the Championship. Think he could have done better for us if not for such bad luck with injuries.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Buying players don’t automatically make a team better. If those new plays end being duds it’s hardly an improvement. 

also all other clubs are recruiting too, so a lot of the time, transfer windows end up as “keeping up with the Jones”

Clubs and their fans are just left hoping that the new signings are more in line with “beating the Jones”

if we have good scouting, data and coaching teams that hope is reduced. It seems like with the back room recruitment we’ve been doing. There is positive signs  

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

How on Earth do Championship players improve our first 11? Please just think about what you're saying, because it's you that needs a word with yourself. 

Swift isn't better than Hourihane, he plays in a lower midtable Championship team. He's certainly inferior to Luiz, McGinn and Jack. So no upgrade there. 

Everyone is saying Cash is definitely better than Guilbert, I'm 50/50, he had a great season last season but I think he'll struggle with the demands of the Prem just like Guilbert did. He doesn't come up against great wingers in the Championship, in the Prem he will face players like Rashford, Pulisic, Sterling. Even in the lower placed teams he'll come up against the likes of McNeill, Trossard, Antonio, Zaha, Saint Maximin. Much better players than he's ever faced in his life. 

Watkins is an upgrade on what we have but my scepticism is he's had one prolific season his whole career and never played at Prem level. I'm not surprised we're looking at him but again I feel there are better options who would come to us. 

Don't just say 'have a word with yourself' and then not back up what you're saying, it's ridiculous and you look silly.

8 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Did you read the bit where I said £100million needn't be the upper limit, particularly considering we spent more last summer?

Times have changed and I can well see us spending a similar amount this season as we did last season.

The bits I don't believe is the made up stuff from Twitter/The Mail/Sunday Mirror. We don't know anything other than the fact we have wealthy owners who showed last year they will spend. I guess now we'll have to see what happens.

Yes we don't know what is the truth but we know our owners aren't short of a bob or two. 

I just don't want us to waste money and throw it down the toilet like Lerner did. Remember Lerner sanctioned the sales for very average players under MON and it completely ruined us as a football club as we never got the money back on them and we've not been the same club since. 

I'm concerned about the wellbeing of the football club and will speak my mind, even if people don't want to hear it. 

Nasty **** in the tackle too. Only seen the clip on Twitter and can't upload but i remember the tackle he put in against krovinovic for West Brom last season. Left him in a heap, but got the ball with a brilliantly timed tackle.

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

Lansbury would be brilliant in the SPL, same as Hogan, Jota and a few others we have. 

Do you think Celtic might agree and knock a bit off Edouard's fee? ;)

I just got moviepass: Season Showdown Chatter - Fantasy Movie League

Not too sure what some people expect. He's the best player of a playoff level team (only through their own naivety did they implode and not make it.). 

I don't think right back is priority but Dean Smith knows best, maybe he wants to be a bit more flexible again and play with wing backs. We were really let down by our right side in that system.

For the price I think its a pretty decent deal. Max Aarons will cost over 20m + more wages and we probably want to use that sort of cash in more important areas of the side.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Took his goal well at Palace

28 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yes we don't know what is the truth but we know our owners aren't short of a bob or two. 

I just don't want us to waste money and throw it down the toilet like Lerner did. Remember Lerner sanctioned the sales for very average players under MON and it completely ruined us as a football club as we never got the money back on them and we've not been the same club since. 

I'm concerned about the wellbeing of the football club and will speak my mind, even if people don't want to hear it. 

Lerner wasn't football man. MON threw money down the toilet and from day 1 refused to work under a DOF which Lerner allegedly wanted to appoint so thanks to MON approach we've had near 2 decades of rinse and repeat and only finally applying sound methods that all the successful clubs do

Edited by Kiwivillan

13 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I find it interesting when I see people's perceptions of players that don't match reality. They turn their noses up at players because they are in the championship, yet have very little knowledge of them.

Even though Cash is statistically better than other Premier league players who have stepped up, he is seen as a high risk and poor quality signing. Even though Forest fans regard him as an exceptional talent, their views are dismissed. Even though practically the whole Sheffield United side was full of 'championship' players and excelled, these kind of players will never be seen as good enough for the mighty Villa in their eyes.

Perhaps a little more research and an open mind would help close the gap between their perceptions and reality. We can only hope! 

Yet if he had a forrin name and came from some tinpot club in Argentina people would be creaming themselves over him. 

OK let's sign Matteo Casholet from San Larenzo.  He'll be guaranteed ace. 

• Like 2

Â