Matty Cash

paul514

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

It's an interesting one.... I saw a lot of him in his early days at Forest when he was playing midfield and used to say to my mate who is a Forest fan that he would be a better RB, he never agreed. Obviously he ended up making the move there and it suits him, he has great energy and is very attacking as you'd expect from a former midfield. I'm not quite sure how that would work in a side set up like ours and I'm not sure about him defensively at PL level.

My lad was with Forest for a while so I used to see Cash at the training ground and he is a good guy, committed to the game if a little flash.

He wouldn't be my first pick for a RB this summer, that would be Aarons who is I think much better but he is a good player and I can see why we are interested.

I don't believe he was actively seeking a move and I'm not convinced Forest are eager to sell one of their best players, they don't need the money.

Id be sad if we got Cash instead of stumping up a bit extra for Aarons

• Like 1

Some alternatives:

Matthieu L’Argent: talented young right back, plays for L’Orient. Was interesting Chelsea a couple of years ago. 

Mateo Denaro: talented young right back, plays for Chievo. Was interesting Chelsea a couple of years ago.

Mateus da Dineiro: talented young right back, plays for Zaragoza. Was interesting Chelsea a couple of years ago. 

He doesn’t have the name or background to get us excited - especially when Rashica was being touted. If he was an import we’d be all over him. 

But let’s be real:  Fact is: the guy looks a good player, has experience of English football. Probably better than Fred and an adequate replacement for Elmo. No communication issues with teammates. And we know the championship is a tough league - especially for technical players. 

He won’t be the only signing, but on reflection, this might be a shrewd piece of business.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Matt Doherty going to Spurs for 15m. I don't know if it's Levy brilliance again or if we're doing something wrong bidding 12m for a Championship RB. I know age comes into it as well, but Doherty is the far superior player and has European experience under his belt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Matt Doherty going to Spurs for 15m. I don't know if it's Levy brilliance again or if we're doing something wrong bidding 12m for a Championship RB. I know age comes into it as well, but Doherty is the far superior player and has European experience under his belt.

It’s probably Wolves needing the money too.

22 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Come on lads Lets wait and see. It 's no good slagging off possible signings before they've kicked a ball for us. I reckon Cash will be an excellent signing

so would Watkins and Swift. They all fit the profile. If we persuade Eduoard as well this would be a big step up for us

I haven’t got a problem with us signing young quality players from the championship. Everton managed to finish top 4 one season whilst following this approach. 

I don’t get why fans are so against it.

• Like 3

He's a good player Cash. Works his nuts off down the right flank. You've all seen how injuries can derail a team. He can play all along that flank. Glad we made Forest buckle at 12 million. We've been after him for weeks but wouldn't meet their asking  price. Brentford are trying the same tactic with us with Watkins. If say call their bluff. Let get them Toney in and then they'll know they have to move him on.

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Exactly how I feel. Ollie Watkins and Matty Cash, not sure how I'm going to contain myself with the excitement 🙄

I honestly think Smith just cannot attract the players. It's why he goes back to his old club to buy players, most high calibre managers don't do that because they don't need to.

Signing Cash and Watkins will improve the team and hopefully push us a bit further away from relegation - perhaps once we've established ourselves again we can get the more ambitious signings across the line. The owners' 3-stage plan was always promotion, consolidation and then pushing for Europe. We're still in stage 2 and are still building a squad to consolidate the position in the league. Patience!

Of course better players would improve those chances but I just don't think the club's current stature can attract them, it's not just Smith. Not to deny a manager's influence of course - Bielsa seems to be a big draw for players to Leeds, and similarly Nuno over the last few years at Wolves. 

Doherty's proven in the premier league but that aside I'm not sure I'd call him the far superior player, Cash was just as good if not better than Doherty was when he was in the championship with Wolves, and I think Doherty is a player than benefits a lot from the Wolves system and how well drilled it is, take him out of that system and I'm not sure he'd be as good, also think he's one of those players that gets rated better than he is because of his goals and assists which of course are important but not truely representive of his overall ability.

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Guess what Doherty was a few years ago?

Kind of my point. If he's 15m now with 2 years of PL experience and a Europa League campaign under his belt, he wouldn't have been when he was a Championship player. Not saying Cash isn't good enough for the PL because he plays in the Championship, I don't subscribe to that view. I'm just skeptical of the fee.

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Kind of my point. If he's 15m now with 2 years of PL experience and a Europa League campaign under his belt, he wouldn't have been when he was a Championship player. Not saying Cash isn't good enough for the PL because he plays in the Championship, I don't subscribe to that view. I'm just skeptical of the fee.

See where you are coming from but let’s put it another way. 2 years ago how much do you think Wolves would have accepted to let him go?

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The pandemic has changed the landscape though. Whatever about both sides having no fans in since March, Forest have had little to no TV money. They were always going to have to sell when they didn't go up. Glad we made them blink. It's business.

Edited by Johnnyp

32 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Doherty coming up to 30 now. We've seemed to convinced half the fanbase we're allergic to signing outfield players over 25 now (tbf signing likes of Drinkwater dosen't help) so signing players under 25 will always cost more due to potential and all that even from championship.

There's big talk Everton are looking to get in another right back. If they do I'd enquire about Seamus Coleman. Still pretty good and would give us fantastic experience and quality at the back. Suppose it's a good test of our standing, would he rather stay as a back up at Everton or come to us as first choice? And we'd have to get rid of Neil Taylor aswell so win win.

Â