Matty Cash

paul514

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree.  I don’t know whether people are dying for any signing now so are happy or what.  I thought we wanted to progress, to aim for mid table team.  We just avoided relegation partly down to a remarkable last 4 game miracle.  We have struggled all season and the hope was to get to the end of the season to get some quality in and now after initial hope and links we are starting to get links to these type of players.  I hope it’s just a few and then the quality follows otherwise next season is going to be as hard as this season.

i can’t believe how critical people were of this team just before lockdown, during lockdown and a few games back.  We are doomed, we will be cut adrift, we don’t have quality aside from Jack.  I went against the grain and said we’d stay up but jeez it was close but my heart is sinking thinking we haven’t learnt and we are just bringing in the same level of talent.  Now everybody else is happy with these kind of players coming in....

I suspect some of it is desperation for a signing. I mean, I believe we need to be tying up deals now too but only for players who we are certain will improve the first team. Even if Cash really was the best RB in the Championship last season, the step up to PL football against seriously good wingers is huge and I believe he will struggle as much as if not more than Freddie has. Swift is a pointless signing as he's not even better than Hourihane. Watkins I can maybe see the logic in signing as we do need a goalscorer and I wouldn't be against us signing him if we couldn't get an Edouard or Tammy, but he still wouldn't be my first choice as he's still a fairly big risk.

I thought soon after the season ended and hearing Dean say next season would be different and we'd invest wisely that we'd finish maybe 12th-14th next season. I think I would revise that now and say we will finish 18th. This may change if we manage to pull a couple of quality signings, but early signings are certainly not encouraging. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Feels like there is a lot of enthusiasm from a few people for these signings and I'm scratching my head thinking, er why 🤨 maybe if we were a Championship team trying to get promoted they would be great signings, but for a team trying to climb to midtable in the Prem I just cannot for the life of me see how they're going to do that. Buy Cash for £12m when we could potentially get Aarons at £20m. Buy Swift after being linked with McKennie and Grujic, another step down. I think I'd rather McCarthy from Palace than Swift which is saying something. We've been linked all summer with Watkins, yet I don't understand why we don't pay a bit more for Edouard who is younger and already better.

It just seems to me that we've been sold another lie about the so-called quality we're bringing in and we just don't seem to learn. 

You haven't been sold a lie. No one said the players we would be buying would be too notch PL quality.

We probably can't afford it and the players probably aren't sold on joining us after last season's struggles.

• Like 2

I’ve only seen him play live a couple of times and seen him on Quest but I like what I’ve seen him. He’s versatile, works hard and has a lot of ability on the ball. I remember being excellent at Villa Park in that famous 5-5 draw. He’s only 23 years old, his best years are ahead of him and hopefully here at Villa Park

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

Important bit I think is "they can". We can want any player, but the best, or proven to be excellent, may have higher desires than 17th in the league.

All the money in the world won't buy Rashica if he just doesn't want to come to B6.

So what do we do? Waste 50m on Watkins, Swift and Cash.....May as well throw the money out the window or save it.  

For every Rashica there is another player that will come to us, we just have to find him.

Keep doing the same thing over and over again is insane, same with buying the same type of players over and over again.  Relegation battle, which one day we’ll lose.

Find the quality Will come (that’s the recruitment teams job) and buy them....don’t waste the money.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Think you are commenting on the wrong comment.  I haven’t mentioned process at all.  As for cheapskates I mention that because we should be shopping for quality not in crap shops (wasn’t inferring cheapness just quality).  These players mentioned are definitely not cheap especially compared to their quality.

Why are we trying to buy the best of the Championship who are very expensive we should be buying quality players.  We have the money but we are spending it on overinflated priced in cheap stores/leagues.

Maybe I misunderstood. You said Poundland is that not for cheapskates?

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Think you are commenting on the wrong comment.  I haven’t mentioned process at all.  As for cheapskates I mention that because we should be shopping for quality not in crap shops (wasn’t inferring cheapness just quality).  These players mentioned are definitely not cheap especially compared to their quality.

Why are we trying to buy the best of the Championship who are very expensive we should be buying quality players.  We have the money but we are spending it on overinflated priced in cheap stores/leagues.

Our finishing position last season dose not help matters while trying to recruit , we basically have 3 options ,

Option a is the cast off premier League players that are probably older and on higher wages ,

Option b is championship players who are thought to be playing at a level below they are capable, think I'd include Scottish prem players in same pool

Option c a player from abroad that if comes off can be a real coup but comes with dangers of not settling in quick and might not suit British football

I can see the bennifits of going for a cash or swift

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So what do we do? Waste 50m on Watkins, Swift and Cash.....May as well throw the money out the window or save it.  

For every Rashica there is another player that will come to us, we just have to find him.

Keep doing the same thing over and over again is insane, same with buying the same type of players over and over again.  Relegation battle, which one day we’ll lose.

Find the quality Will come (that’s the recruitment teams job) and buy them....don’t waste the money.

Were not doing the same. We shopped mainly overseas last season and wasted a lot of money.

I think cash and Watkins have a better chance than Nkamba, Guilbert, Wesley....

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Maybe I misunderstood. You said Poundland is that not for cheapskates?

It was more about the quality of the shop than the price.  Maybe Poundland was a bad choice for the comment given price point of that shop.  

But buying the best of something in one shop doesn’t mean you are buying quality.  Buying the best in the Championship doesn’t mean you are buying something that’s good enough for the PL was my point.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree. But when have we done this previously?

Its certainly been a long time since we've bought other teams best, young players with masses of potential.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Our finishing position last season dose not help matters while trying to recruit , we basically have 3 options ,

Not sure that’s completely true

2 minutes ago, pete101 said:

I can see the bennifits of going for a cash or swift

Yep, I can’t, just a waste of money! Enjoy the relegation battle next season if we continue with this level of transfers.

43 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

What if he is buying Cash to play the right-sided forward role that El Ghazi was shite at last season? That is possible. 

Yes and no, I think. I'd expect that Cash is coming in to play RB, but more of a RWB to take the outside, while our RW will have more of an inside role, and swap in and out. Not all that different from what Jack and Targett did on the left a lot last year. Trezeguet, or whoever is brought in, might be better suited to that. Every move we've made over the last two seasons suggests to me that they're looking for players who can take on multiple roles. This is just another one if it happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I agree. But when have we done this previously?

Its certainly been a long time since we've bought other teams best, young players with masses of potential.

I meant last season and then doing this season.

As for your second paragraph....yeah your views of those players are different to mine.  Nice to see a bit of spin on those players to try and make them look impressive....still not good enough!

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

Also we do have more pressing needs but if we have the chance to upgrade at a reasonable price in any position then we should take advantage of that. I like Elmo but he's not getting any younger, I like Gilbert but he can be erratic at times with his positioning. Absolutely no problem in bringing someone with loads of years in the tank who can contribute in a number of ways. 

Damn Right GIF by memecandy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

You haven't been sold a lie. No one said the players we would be buying would be too notch PL quality.

We probably can't afford it and the players probably aren't sold on joining us after last season's struggles.

Our manager said we want to invest so we're not in the position we were in last season again. To me that means signing much better players than we have now, which evidently we're not doing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Our manager said we want to invest so we're not in the position we were in last season again. To me that means signing much better players than we have now, which evidently we're not doing.

I think Watkins and cash are better than Guilbert and Trez. 

But I get your point they aren't top draw players - Perhaps we have settle for incremental improvement (survive by 2 points)

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

God how childish these twitter ppl are, grown up men acting like teenagers.

So true.  In my opinion he's a stinky poppy pants. 

Â