Matty Cash

paul514

59 minutes ago, John said:

I think I heard they had wanted £15m, Percy had mentioned a £12m bid. Perhaps it is just Sky but £2m, seems to have fallen off our bid overnight.   

Forest better get a move on then, it’ll be £8m by tomorrow morning. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Yes quite correct - If I'm honest I don't actually believe it.

What I do believe is we are buying a promising player in a position that was problematic for us last season. If he cuts the mustard the £12m fee will seem like a bargain. If he is a total flop his wages won't bankrupt us and we probably recoup 50% of the fee.

I just feel, if we've got £100m to spend (or even if we only have half or 3/4 that which shouldn't be the case because they told us it was £100m), that we should be looking to spend the money on 3-4 really quality additions rather than 6-7 meh additions and inflate the squad again. As you say there is a chance he could do well but if he doesn't we could lose half of what we spent on him. I also don't think RB is that big of a deal to blow any of our budget on, I wouldn't say no to a RB but I'd rather we looked at someone like Clyne on a free rather than a Championship RB who will cost us money and is less likely to be successful (the only issue with Clyne is fitness, but Mings had the same issues and has done ok with us). Or if we insist on spending money on a RB go for someone proven on the continent who can take us forward like Atal or Dumfries (both of whom would probably cost similar or maybe slightly more than Cash). Or just stump up a bit more and get Aarons who is clearly going to go far. 

We were told quite clearly we didn't want to get caught up in another relegation battle next season, this type of signing says to me they can't attract the quality they want. Imo they used the Trippier interest as a smokescreen to pretend to fans they're ambitious when it was obvious we weren't going to get him, and it makes mugs of us because if they really want a RB there are quality ones out there who would possibly come like the ones mentioned above but they aren't moving seriously for them.

I am also worried for Jack, players like Rashica are on a similar level to him and can help take the pressure off. If we end up with the players it looks like we're going to end up with I can see us being a predominantly one-man team again and Jack getting frustrated and wanting to leave. Other quality players like Luiz and McGinn could too.

I'm not expecting us to sign superstars overnight but a year on after staying in the Prem and I was actually more excited by our signings last summer when we were newly promoted, even if quite a few of them turned out to be rubbish.

All we need are 3, maybe 4 carefully thought out quality additions to take us forward. Dean himself said £10/12m is nothing to spend on players these days, yet his first signing of the summer looks like being another player in that ballpark figure when we should be going for a player in the bracket above that. It just doesn't make sense.

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I just feel, if we've got £100m to spend (or even if we only have half or 3/4 that which shouldn't be the case because they told us it was £100m), that we should be looking to spend the money on 3-4 really quality additions rather than 6-7 meh additions and inflate the squad again. As you say there is a chance he could do well but if he doesn't we could lose half of what we spent on him. I also don't think RB is that big of a deal to blow any of our budget on, I wouldn't say no to a RB but I'd rather we looked at someone like Clyne on a free rather than a Championship RB who will cost us money and is less likely to be successful (the only issue with Clyne is fitness, but Mings had the same issues and has done ok with us). Or if we insist on spending money on a RB go for someone proven on the continent who can take us forward like Atal or Dumfries (both of whom would probably cost similar or maybe slightly more than Cash). Or just stump up a bit more and get Aarons who is clearly going to go far. 

We were told quite clearly we didn't want to get caught up in another relegation battle next season, this type of signing says to me they can't attract the quality they want. Imo they used the Trippier interest as a smokescreen to pretend to fans they're ambitious when it was obvious we weren't going to get him, and it makes mugs of us because if they really want a RB there are quality ones out there who would possibly come like the ones mentioned above but they aren't moving seriously for them.

I am also worried for Jack, players like Rashica are on a similar level to him and can help take the pressure off. If we end up with the players it looks like we're going to end up with I can see us being a predominantly one-man team again and Jack getting frustrated and wanting to leave. Other quality players like Luiz and McGinn could too.

I'm not expecting us to sign superstars overnight but a year on after staying in the Prem and I was actually more excited by our signings last summer when we were newly promoted, even if quite a few of them turned out to be rubbish.

All we need are 3, maybe 4 carefully thought out quality additions to take us forward. Dean himself said £10/12m is nothing to spend on players these days, yet his first signing of the summer looks like being another player in that ballpark figure when we should be going for a player in the bracket above that. It just doesn't make sense.

Who told us we had £100m to spend? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It may be that spending £12m on Cash instead of £20m on Aarons means we can afford to sign Edouard instead of Watkins, for example. We could spend £100m on 3/4 players very differently, they don’t all have to be £20m+. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mole86 said:

Who told us we had £100m to spend? 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-summer-18703507 

It's been well documented on Twitter etc that Smith is to be heavily backed again. And as is common knowledge, our owners are very wealthy. They're in the top 5 richest owners in the Prem I believe. 

9 hours ago, jim said:

Just heard Lansbury is being offered as a make weight.

I dont beleive we would offer that (as we would know its a joke), they would be mad to accept that, and they know it, if you read the Forest forum the general consensus is "we will pay Villa 12m to keep Lansbury".

Its the same as all the nutters on the Manure forum who keep saying we would be happy to have Lingard and 30m for Grealish........anyone with a brain cell knows thats the kind of thing thats makes u fall off ur seat laughing.

The only possible way i could see it, is if we loaned him to them for the last year of his contract covering 90-100% of his wages, and still paid 12m for Cash. (ie: Lansbury is a freebie)

37 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

It may be that spending £12m on Cash instead of £20m on Aarons means we can afford to sign Edouard instead of Watkins, for example. We could spend £100m on 3/4 players very differently, they don’t all have to be £20m+. 

Possibly. We will have to wait and see. But as I said, there are less riskier options overseas for a similar price that we've most likely ignored.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Podster said:

If the likes of Wolves, Leicester and brighton can attract big names why cant we, there are plenty of PL clubs that are smaller than us and with less financial backing that are able to get a big name to sign, I dont expet the team to consist of 11 world class players overnight but is it too much to expect a couple of big names. There are some better playes that have gone to China than we have in our team so dont tell me big names will only play for top clubs, most footballers will look ay what they are going to be paid before they look at the colour of the shirt, all i am saying is spend a bit bigger, go for quality not quantity this season. Dont bite my head of for having a view.

Don’t see how I have bitten you head off? 

Tielemans went to Monaco from Anderlecht, did he become better because he went to Monaco. He cost Leicester an extra £15 million because of it. Did they not sign him directly because you can’t sign players from the Belgian league because it sends the wrong message.

As with all signing it’s about scouting and price. I think it’s quite clear we didn’t get our first choice signings last year. Phillips, Webster and Benrahma. We had to build a squad.

We still are building a squad, I won’t be discounting a player because we got him for under £30 million. It is however nice to have big money signings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

That's a very fair summary. And probably how I felt straight after the West Ham game.

I actually don't think we do have £100m to spend. That figure just founds its way into the press.

I think we will probably spend £50/60m - with Watkins being the main addition and a few more Cash level signings.

Don't forget last season we had woeful strikers. Keep Luiz , Grealish and if watkins proves half decent we should be much better than last season.

GK situation is a concern for me.

11 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Rather spend 8 mill more and try and get Aarons.

I guess that's the other frustration that comes with the club seemingly running a very tight ship in terms of transfer news getting out.

Maybe we have enquired about Aarons, but weren't prepared to meet the asking price.

28 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-summer-18703507 

It's been well documented on Twitter etc that Smith is to be heavily backed again. And as is common knowledge, our owners are very wealthy. They're in the top 5 richest owners in the Prem I believe. 

Well documented on twitter you say. And well documented in a Birmingham Mail article actually quoting a Sunday Mirror article?

Ok so we don't know anything then. 

When people call out the nonsense £100million number it's not necessarily people thinking that's an upper limit. We spent more than that last year. Truth is we don't have a clue how much we'll spend. 

Edited by Rolta

I Work with a few ST holding Forest fans and the main one of those says his favorite player is Matty Cash. He actually said a few weeks ago that he'd heard we were after him but i dismissed it at the time as likely paper talk as i'd heard nothing my end. As it happens I asked him at the time  if he would take Lansbury back & he laughed & said "No thanks you can keep him". He asked if asked if HL had ever played for us?  That made me realise that actually i could barely remember a game he'd started! 

Anyone know what his longest run of games has been for us as a matter of interest? He's been a shocking signing really.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Well documented on twitter you say. And well documented in a Birmingham Mail article actually quoting a Sunday Mirror article?

Ok so we don't know anything then. 

When people call out the nonsense £100million number it's not necessarily people thinking that's an upper limit. We spent more than that last year. Truth is we don't have a clue how much we'll spend. 

OK, so we don't know a figure for sure. This is why I said it may be 50% or 75% of that if you read what I said in my original comment. 

I don't believe £100m is beyond our owners, they backed Smith heavily last summer and have the means to do so again this summer. It's common knowledge they weren't happy with how last season went and want to improve.

If you still don't believe it this is quoting Dean in the Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/07/20/dean-smith-reveals-aston-villas-billionaire-owners-will-spend/ 

14 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I Work with a few ST holding Forest fans and the main one of those says his favorite player is Matty Cash. He actually said a few weeks ago that he'd heard we were after him but i dismissed it at the time as likely paper talk as i'd heard nothing my end. As it happens I asked him at the time  if he would take Lansbury back & he laughed & said "No thanks you can keep him". He asked if asked if HL had ever played for us?  That made me realise that actually i could barely remember a game he'd started! 

Anyone know what his longest run of games has been for us as a matter of interest? He's been a shocking signing really.

He scored a good goal against Palace 🙄

32 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Rather spend 8 mill more and try and get Aarons.

Why ? I don't get this. Himself and Jamal Lewis had individually and collectively bad seasons. I don't get the hype. The logic that he has a season in the PL is kind of a moot point if it wasn't a good one. Joe Bryan essentially got Fulham to the PL but he was so bad in it the last time they don't trust that he can cut it again so signed Robinson. I think Cash , for the fee reported, is great business.

30 minutes ago, hippo said:

That's a very fair summary. And probably how I felt straight after the West Ham game.

I actually don't think we do have £100m to spend. That figure just founds its way into the press.

I think we will probably spend £50/60m - with Watkins being the main addition and a few more Cash level signings.

Don't forget last season we had woeful strikers. Keep Luiz , Grealish and if watkins proves half decent we should be much better than last season.

GK situation is a concern for me.

I'm not sure myself. I think the owners know we have to improve drastically next season and if they do their homework will realise only spending £50/60m will mean we struggle again and risks us going down and having to rebuild again. 

My opinion is if we sign say Cash, Watkins and Swift  and 1 or 2 more of that standard we will almost certainly be in a relegation battle and I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped. Then we lose the likes of Grealish, Luiz and McGinn and have to build again which absolutely no one at the football club wants.

This is a forum so we'll obviously all have different views, but I'm pretty confident in saying the above because these signings remind me of the Lerner era where we primarily bought from the lower divisions and unsurprisingly struggled every season. And this time we're spending 3 or 4 times as much. 

Â