Matty Cash

paul514

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

You could gather a decent “championship 11” tbf

Henderson , Grealish, Mount , Boly ,Neves just to name a few Dele Ali used to play in the championship good players from the championship are good players regardless of their experience 

Pedantic I know, but I don't think he ever did - he played in League One with Milton Keynes Dons but I don't think he played in the Championship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I heard Sheffield United were the front runners for Matty Cash, so there is still time for it to kick off! 😏

Dunno why any body would wanna go there. You are kept on the sidelines for months while their system and unique way of playing is beating into you. 

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I heard Sheffield United were the front runners for Matty Cash, so there is still time for it to kick off! 😏

Dunno why any body would wanna go there. You are kept on the sidelines for months while their system and unique way of playing is beating into you. 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Pedantic I know, but I don't think he ever did - he played in League One with Milton Keynes Dons but I don't think he played in the Championship.

Scrap the Championship trawl and let’s get on with a fishing expedition in League 1. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I totally get where you're coming from. 

But let's not forget how much the current owners have put in. They pump in millions each month to keep us afloat.....quite literally !

They saved us from going into administration - and then had to £30m to Lerner because of that total fraud Xia

They bankrolled £160m last summer . Of course they have the money but I just wonder do they want to see it spent a little more widely before releasing another £100m or so.

We still have a few weeks of the window I still think with a £60m spend we should be better than last season.

Yeah I agree they have invested a lot for sure. But we saw very good things from Lerner early on, only for him to then turn round and stop investing from 2010 onwards. Of course MON was to blame there for signing a lot of deadwood, but I am worried Smith may do the same thing because I can't see we're bringing in that level of footballer that makes other teams take notice of us. I remember as a top 6 club who we were bringing in, the likes of Dunne, Warnock, Collins and Downing after losing top players like Barry, Laursen and Mellberg. That's why we went backwards, our signings were not better than the players they came in to replace, in fact they were worse.

Unfortunately football ownership isn't easy. It requires patience and continuous, shrewd and ambitious investment, eventually if the club becomes a regular top 8 team that investment will pay off but they have to be in it for the long haul and they have to be sure we sign players to move us forward. They have to think very carefully who they invest in and will it really push us forward as a club, you know my doubts, and of course they will see a loss on some of the players they purchased last summer.

Just my take on it but thanks for respecting my opinion unlike some of the others on here. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

30 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yeah I agree they have invested a lot for sure. But we saw very good things from Lerner early on, only for him to then turn round and stop investing from 2010 onwards. Of course MON was to blame there for signing a lot of deadwood, but I am worried Smith may do the same thing because I can't see we're bringing in that level of footballer that makes other teams take notice of us. I remember as a top 6 club who we were bringing in, the likes of Dunne, Warnock, Collins and Downing after losing top players like Barry, Laursen and Mellberg. That's why we went backwards, our signings were not better than the players they came in to replace, in fact they were worse.

Unfortunately football ownership isn't easy. It requires patience and continuous, shrewd and ambitious investment, eventually if the club becomes a regular top 8 team that investment will pay off but they have to be in it for the long haul and they have to be sure we sign players to move us forward. They have to think very carefully who they invest in and will it really push us forward as a club, you know my doubts, and of course they will see a loss on some of the players they purchased last summer.

Just my take on it but thanks for respecting my opinion unlike some of the others on here. 

No problem. I share your concerns - just saying that all might not be lost if we don't manage 3 -4 quality signings costing £30m each.

10 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Normally I'd agree, but I can’t see Guilbert being dropped until performances makes it so. 

I think guilbert only came back in because hause got injured and Konza had to go back to cb. 

I don't think Smith rates guilbert as a starter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This is my take, I didn't realise he was that good that he walks straight into the first XI..

He might not start the first game but I don't think we are paying £12 million for a back up rb.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Farlz said:

Like I said in the transfer thread, Cash is much more the style of RB I'd expect Smith to prefer. I'm a big fan of Guilbert but his attacking play isn't fantastic. 

Targett and Cash either side, both attacking fullbacks, sounds good to me. 

Matty Backs

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thought he was dropped last season...more than once iirc.

He played 25 matches and over 2000 minutes, so basically first choice. He might have been dropped when injured and suspended, but once the squad settled he was the man. 

I think there's no chance he'll just be dropped from a defence that's finally looked okey, for a defender coming with championship experience. But each to their view. 

Â