Matty Cash

paul514

26 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I find it interesting when I see people's perceptions of players that don't match reality. They turn their noses up at players because they are in the championship, yet have very little knowledge of them.

Even though Cash is statistically better than other Premier league players who have stepped up, he is seen as a high risk and poor quality signing. Even though Forest fans regard him as an exceptional talent, their views are dismissed. Even though practically the whole Sheffield United side was full of 'championship' players and excelled, these kind of players will never be seen as good enough for the mighty Villa in their eyes.

Perhaps a little more research and an open mind would help close the gap between their perceptions and reality. We can only hope! 

You could gather a decent “championship 11” tbf

Henderson , Grealish, Mount , Boly ,Neves just to name a few Dele Ali used to play in the championship good players from the championship are good players regardless of their experience 

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Lansbury would be brilliant in the SPL, same as Hogan, Jota and a few others we have. 

No one in Scottish Land are going to afford the wages of Lansbury or Hogan unless they honour his wages for the expiring year of his Villa contract then agree something acceptable moving forwards.  Jota maybe, I assume we didn't pay him stupido wages. 

Edited by sidcow

14 hours ago, hippo said:

All the more joy when we lift the PL in a few years time.

My first match Div 3 - we drew 0-0 with walsall. Ten years later I was at Highbury watching us become league champions.

Good days, those. 👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Some alternatives:

Matthieu L’Argent: talented young right back, plays for L’Orient. Was interesting Chelsea a couple of years ago. 

Mateo Denaro: talented young right back, plays for Chievo. Was interesting Chelsea a couple of years ago.

Mateus da Dineiro: talented young right back, plays for Zaragoza. Was interesting Chelsea a couple of years ago. 

He doesn’t have the name or background to get us excited - especially when Rashica was being touted. If he was an import we’d be all over him. 

But let’s be real:  Fact is: the guy looks a good player, has experience of English football. Probably better than Fred and an adequate replacement for Elmo. No communication issues with teammates. And we know the championship is a tough league - especially for technical players. 

He won’t be the only signing, but on reflection, this might be a shrewd piece of business.

3 good players, but a little bit similar.

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'm not sure myself. I think the owners know we have to improve drastically next season and if they do their homework will realise only spending £50/60m will mean we struggle again and risks us going down and having to rebuild again. 

My opinion is if we sign say Cash, Watkins and Swift  and 1 or 2 more of that standard we will almost certainly be in a relegation battle and I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped. Then we lose the likes of Grealish, Luiz and McGinn and have to build again which absolutely no one at the football club wants.

This is a forum so we'll obviously all have different views, but I'm pretty confident in saying the above because these signings remind me of the Lerner era where we primarily bought from the lower divisions and unsurprisingly struggled every season. And this time we're spending 3 or 4 times as much. 

I totally get where you're coming from. 

But let's not forget how much the current owners have put in. They pump in millions each month to keep us afloat.....quite literally !

They saved us from going into administration - and then had to £30m to Lerner because of that total fraud Xia

They bankrolled £160m last summer . Of course they have the money but I just wonder do they want to see it spent a little more widely before releasing another £100m or so.

We still have a few weeks of the window I still think with a £60m spend we should be better than last season.

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Why? Do you think we will have only 1 player for each position?

Aside from his age I actually think Elmohamady is quite decent for us.  I just think Guilbert won't want to be 3rd choice - and despite not being PL standard I imagine he would have a few suitors.

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No one in Scottish Land are going to afford the wages of Lansbury or Hogan unless they honour his wages for the expiring year of his Villa contract then agree something acceptable moving forwards.  Jota maybe, I assume we didn't pay him stupido wages. 

Don't think they are going anywhere and they shouldn't be playing for us next season so even if we have to subsidize wages it's better than paying 100% for nothing in return. Maybe put an option for a contract extension in any deal, for us , so if they do make an impact we have an interest financially in them. 

Having spoken to a forest fan who regards him very highly, then I'm happy with this. 

I'm presuming Elmo is on pretty hefty wages and cash will come in and be on less. Does it mean we could see Elmo leave? I wouldn't say no to that. 

Slowly but surely, the elder statesmen bought in by the short term planner Bruce are being replaced by young, determined players who will only improve. It's extremely sensible. Bruce, amongst others, damaged the long term progression of the squad badly. We are still fixing our way through this now. Still waiting for big contracts to expire. This is a long term thing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

Having spoken to a forest fan who regards him very highly, then I'm happy with this. 

I'm presuming Elmo is on pretty hefty wages and cash will come in and be on less. Does it mean we could see Elmo leave? I wouldn't say no to that. 

Slowly but surely, the elder statesmen bought in by the short term planner Bruce are being replaced by young, determined players who will only improve. It's extremely sensible. Bruce, amongst others, damaged the long term progression of the squad badly. We are still fixing our way through this now. Still waiting for big contracts to expire. This is a long term thing. 

Thinks that's a bit unfair. He brought SJM, Connor , and Elmo has been a good servant for the money paid. 

Also Jack began to step up under Bruce. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

How on Earth do Championship players improve our first 11? Please just think about what you're saying, because it's you that needs a word with yourself. 

Swift isn't better than Hourihane, he plays in a lower midtable Championship team. He's certainly inferior to Luiz, McGinn and Jack. So no upgrade there. 

Everyone is saying Cash is definitely better than Guilbert, I'm 50/50, he had a great season last season but I think he'll struggle with the demands of the Prem just like Guilbert did. He doesn't come up against great wingers in the Championship, in the Prem he will face players like Rashford, Pulisic, Sterling. Even in the lower placed teams he'll come up against the likes of McNeill, Trossard, Antonio, Zaha, Saint Maximin. Much better players than he's ever faced in his life. 

Watkins is an upgrade on what we have but my scepticism is he's had one prolific season his whole career and never played at Prem level. I'm not surprised we're looking at him but again I feel there are better options who would come to us. 

Don't just say 'have a word with yourself' and then not back up what you're saying, it's ridiculous and you look silly.

No signing is bulletproof. There is an element of risk to all of them. Could you state the better options you think would come to us ? We are living in cloud cuckoo land if we think we are pulling top talent from good European clubs. You have to earn the right to do that. Why would any top European player come to a side who barely survived relegation. We'll earn the right to attract players like that. In time. You have to box clever and know where you are. Good signing is Cash. Great engine, deceptively tall and good strength. Can play anywhere along that right side. Tired too of signing guys who straight from the off " ah he'll take a while to settle into the area " I'm not saying we sign all British btw but the mix needs to be right. Cash can likely stay living where he is and commute from Nottingham to Birmingham.

Edited by Johnnyp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Yet if he had a forrin name and came from some tinpot club in Argentina people would be creaming themselves over him. 

OK let's sign Matteo Casholet from San Larenzo.  He'll be guaranteed ace. 

I get your point but ‘Matty Cash’ is pretty cool as names go.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thinks that's a bit unfair. He brought SJM, Connor , and Elmo has been a good servant for the money paid. 

Also Jack began to step up under Bruce. 

I think, if in 2 years of being a manager that 18 months later there's only 1 player that's good enough for your first team that you signed (mcginn), then you've done a god damn terrible job of your recruitment.

58 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

You could gather a decent “championship 11” tbf

Henderson , Grealish, Mount , Boly ,Neves just to name a few Dele Ali used to play in the championship good players from the championship are good players regardless of their experience 

Gareth Southgate does not understand this post

36 minutes ago, hippo said:

Aside from his age I actually think Elmohamady is quite decent for us.  I just think Guilbert won't want to be 3rd choice - and despite not being PL standard I imagine he would have a few suitors.

As Smith quite clearly sees Guilbert as above Elmohamady in the pecking order (whatever your personal views of Guilbert’s ability, this is obvious) and as Elmo is getting on a bit as you say, how would this in any way make Guilbert third choice?

3 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

This is the type of player/signing that had it been made by another club, we'd all be kicking off saying "we should have been in for him at that price!!!"

I heard Sheffield United were the front runners for Matty Cash, so there is still time for it to kick off! 😏

• Like 1

Â