Matty Cash

paul514

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He might not start the first game but I don't think we are paying £12 million for a back up rb.

It's not about that. It's about buying a competitive squad. Cash will play when he's doing better than Guilbert and vice versa. 

Cash was the best right-back in the championship last season and one of the standout performers of any position in that league, that's why half of the premier league, AC Milan and probably others have been watching him, Smith might want to ease him into the side as he did with Targett and Guilbert at the start of last season, but the intention will be for him to our first choice right-back.

Signing him and thinking he's coming as back up to Guilbert is not much different from thinking we'd sign Watkins to come in as back up to Samatta.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He played 25 matches and over 2000 minutes, so basically first choice. He might have been dropped when injured and suspended, but once the squad settled he was the man. 

I think there's no chance he'll just be dropped from a defence that's finally looked okey, for a defender coming with championship experience. But each to their view. 

Again - I thought he only came back in for the last couple of games. Thought Elmo played there mostly after the restart.

Just now, hippo said:

Again - I thought he only came back in for the last couple of games. Thought Elmo played there mostly after the restart.

Because Guilbert was injured coming back from lockdown. When he was fit he was picked the vast majority of the time, including in big games like the cup final. 

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Again. Guilbert has played twice the minutes Elmo has played. For a reason. 

13 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Maybe we could start to build a squad with a range of good options where players compete for the chance to play for the first team and those who are in the best form start in the appropriate positions?

Oh la-di-da. A squad of capable footballers? What a novel idea.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Signing him and thinking he's coming as back up to Guilbert is not much different from thinking we'd sign Watkins to come in as back up to Samatta.

It's actually very different, to the degree it's a daft comparison. Guilbert has performed well, Samatta hasn't. 

10 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Is he only going to be an option at RB? Looks like when Leipzig and Chelsea were trying to sign him he was playing as a winger, so presumably must have some ability further forward as well?

This and as a cm/CDM.

I'm not sure tbh.

But to sign him as a RB does seem suprising considering we have two capable right backs, and a few other positions in the squad requiring more obvious attention

• Like 1

Samatta performed very well before lockdown, and Guilbert obvioulsy hasn't performed well enough in Smith's view, for one he wasn't a guaranteed starter ahead of Elmohamady and two if he had have performed well enough for Smith we wouldn't be looking to pay £15m for a new right-back.

• Like 1

We're signing him as a right-back because it's in that position that he had an outstanding season so much so that that's now considered his best postion, we're not going to be signing him as a midfielder or a winger when he was nowhere near as impressive in those positions and last season wasn't used in those positions at all.

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

You could gather a decent “championship 11” tbf

Henderson , Grealish, Mount , Boly ,Neves just to name a few Dele Ali used to play in the championship good players from the championship are good players regardless of their experience 

How would this "team of the season" (which includes Cash) do in the Premier League?  I suspect they would be decent. https://www.90min.com/posts/90min-s-championship-team-of-the-season-2019-20

8 minutes ago, useless said:

We're signing him as a right-back because it's in that position that he had an outstanding season so much so that that's now considered his best postion, we're not going to be signing him as a midfielder or a winger when he was nowhere near as impressive in those positions and last season wasn't used in those positions at all.

That's all fair enough but as I said we have two capable right backs and other areas requiring obvious attention.

That's the bit that makes this link a little more confusing and that his versatility may also come in to play as to why we are in for him.

People moaning because he's from the championship... Well that's just daft. When Smith came in Grealish was playing in the bottom half of the championship for a struggling club. That was only a season and a half ago. Now we wouldn't sell him for £100m. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, useless said:

I would assume you are right we are signing him primarily as a RB but as I asked above - I saw both Chelsea and Leipzig had bids turned down for him as a midfielder/winger, so he must have been ok in those positions as well? Which is a good thing.

Elmohamady is in the last year of his contract, and Smith seemingly must think we need better than Guilbert which is hardly surprising when you consider that Guilbert wasn't even a guaranteed starter ahead of Elmohamady a player who probably wouldn't get in any other premier league side. It's important to have quality all over the pitch, fullback positions are no less important than any other position, its not the Steve Bruce or O'Neill era any longer where they'd just stick any player at right-back.

• Like 1

Cash moves to Premier League club who have a veteran RB in the last year of his contract. Pretty obvious what's happening here methinks.

He learns something from the veteran RB and provides solid competition for the current RB. This increases standards. 

• Like 2

Yes I'm sure his versatilty wlll be seen as a plus point but I don't think we'll be using him anywhere other than right-back unless we have an injury criisis elsewhere on the pitch. Or maybe if we're playing tough oppents he can play right-wing to give us extra cover defensively.

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Cash moves to Premier League club who have a veteran RB in the last year of his contract. Pretty obvious what's happening here methinks.

He learns something from the veteran RB and provides solid competition for the current RB. This increases standards. 

Totally agree but could be veteran RB being signed by vegetable headed manager from lower Scotland for the 3rd time. 

• Haha 1

Just now, theboyangel said:

Totally agree but could be veteran RB being signed by vegetable headed manager from lower Scotland for the 3rd time. 

Egyptians do have a lot of cabbage in their diets. Interesting.....

• Haha 1

Â