Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

That’s lovely to see, he has always come across as such a nice lad. This backs that up. I really rate Watkins, I hope that with a new manager he might regain some of the confidence he had in his first season with us. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

I reckon Ings has seen enough of Ollie that he doesn’t think his position as the designated clinical finisher is under threat any more 😀

It’s good to see the both of them playing well together anyway.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. I suppose Ings would have had less starts if Ollie had scored lots of goals last season and this one. But Ings strikes me as the kind of person who'd still have been really happy for him even if tbat had happened.

Still laughing watching his goal. Hits it straight to the keeper, in disbelief after it doesn't go in the 2nd time, then somehow has the wherewithal to touch it down with his head and snap shot in the 3rd time in.

Just now, DJBOB said:

Still laughing watching his goal. Hits it straight to the keeper, in disbelief after it doesn't go in the 2nd time, then somehow has the wherewithal to touch it down with his head and snap shot in the 3rd time in.

He was so determined to score, somehow! He has so much determination and persistance.

He’s an intriguing one…

I find myself reassessing our players after the Emery announcement and who would be “up to the task” in terms of truly kicking on and becoming a lot more competitive in this league, eventually trying to get a Euro spot…

Ollie is so likeable, his work rate and attitude have been admirable ever since he arrived…

But… it’s doubtful whether he is or can be a top class striker/finisher and he’s not a top class, supremely talented/skilful winger or wide forward…

I wonder how much he can improve… I would assume he wants to be that top PL CF… does he have it in him? It looked possible in that first season (what a debut!).

I would just love for us to have a technical, cultured finisher who had an array of “strikes” and techniques (lobs, chips, volleys, one on ones, curlers, thunderbolts) rather than just smashing or lashing the ball at goal…

Can we stop getting on his back everytime he misses a chance?

He is such a hard worker and offers so much to the team. We're clearly a better team with him than without him.

How about getting behind our players? There's a concept.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Can we stop getting on his back everytime he misses a chance?

He is such a hard worker and offers so much to the team. We're clearly a better team with him than without him.

How about getting behind our players? There's a concept.

The poor lad misses so many he will need some serious counselling if this carries on. 

I think Ollie knows he's not had the best of times recently, he isn't really the answer for us up top, I would play Ings and look to bring in a new forward in January as the two options.

That leaves Ollie potentially playing wide forward. I like Ollies attitude and he plugs a gap, but could we sign better wide forwards/wingers for reasonable money? absolutely. 

I just can't see us playing him much if we want to improve as a team.

Ollie is a pest. A better quality version of Trez if he is played on the right.  He has huge stamina and can score. His form can also change from game to game massively.If we set up the same as last week he will be up against Dan Burn. And that will be tough as he is a far better player than given credit for. 

• Shocked 1

Â