Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, sne said:

I'm guessing using his phone when not allowed.

Or that. I'm still not decided whether it's more funny or depressing that these guys need to lose £1,000s to do stuff I would have got bollocked for not doing at 12.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Just been picked for England not even a shot on target tonight, it's not the player it's the system. Why are we not trying to get everything low and quick into this guy. He will get the goals??

We have crap wingers and the midfield can't keep the ball longer than 5 seconds to get the fullbacks up the pitch and Mcginn just wants to ping the ball 90 yards all the time anyway.

He’s been poor for weeks. At one point today he did something rubbish and I shouted at the tv thinking it was Trez. That’s how poor it was! 
You can never fault his effort but he needs to start being better. Hopefully a stint with England will give him some confidence. He’s way off it at the moment 

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He’s been poor for weeks. At one point today he did something rubbish and I shouted at the tv thinking it was Trez. That’s how poor it was! 
You can never fault his effort but he needs to start being better. Hopefully a stint with England will give him some confidence. He’s way off it at the moment 

I wish someone could do a highlights reel showing the distance between him and the midfield, as well as clips of the ' passes ' played to him.

If I were him I'd be bloody disheartened myself.

• Like 3

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I wish someone could do a highlights reel showing the distance between him and the midfield, as well as clips of the ' passes ' played to him.

Yeah I think his effort and body language is better than Darren Bents was under mcleish despite the fact that at times we play the exact same way

40 yard ball smashed towards him chest high, 2 defenders at his back, not another villa player in their half... When he inevitably loses the ball it's "poor" from him, yes he should do a bit better at times but more often than not he has absolutely **** all on for help 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I agree but he has to be better when the ball comes to him. At the moment it is just coming straight back. Watch Kane. He rarely gives the ball away even under intense pressure. At the moment Ollie just can’t get hold of it. It’s a bit of an thankless task for him but he needs to do better.

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We have crap wingers and the midfield can't keep the ball longer than 5 seconds to get the fullbacks up the pitch and Mcginn just wants to ping the ball 90 yards all the time anyway.

We were not crap for half the season. Or are we truly a 1 man team.

Everyone's first touch tonight was poor. It was like pin ball. No composure, no idea what to do with the ball for the most part. Ollie is never going to thrive when he's all over the shop. Awful possession and hit and hope passing from midfield is killing us. Thank goodness for the international break! 

Edited by birdman

9 hours ago, birdman said:

Everyone's first touch tonight was poor. It was like pin ball. No composure, no idea what to do with the ball for the most part. Ollie is never going to thrive when he's all over the shop. Awful possession and hit and hope passing from midfield is killing us. Thank goodness for the international break! 

Ollie also struggles with no space to run into so the others need provide for him. Spurs played deep enough defensively and had 2 shields in front of the defence 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ollie also struggles with no space to run into so the others need provide for him. Spurs played deep enough defensively and had 2 shields in front of the defence 

We just aren't setup to play through balls for Ollie to latch onto. It's either out wide or those horrid easy to defend floaty balls! 

I absolutely detest our passing style at the moment. Most passes are really lazy with no pace on them. Urgh. 

• Like 2

Anyone else think this could be a blessing in disguise for ollie, gets game time in the nothing game against san Marino so Southgate can see him in action, maybe get a goal or two, come back on high of his first cap and gets a bit of that early season confidence back at a time when Jack's coming back into the fold aswell

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kbdrum88 said:

Anyone else think this could be a blessing in disguise for ollie, gets game time in the nothing game against san Marino so Southgate can see him in action, maybe get a goal or two, come back on high of his first cap and gets a bit of that early season confidence back at a time when Jack's coming back into the fold aswell

It's not much of a disguise, but yes, this call up should do Watkins much more good than harm. He played more games in the championship seasons than he has for us this season, so there shouldn't be a question about it harming his fitness at this stage. 

Long term, with the euros and a world Cup half way through next season, its a concern for all international footballers. But for now, the benefits should far outweigh the cons. Let's hope we get a similar reaction to the one that Jack got after his call up. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/25/ollie-watkins-non-league-england-weston-super-mare

'His own biggest critic': Ollie Watkins' road from non-league to England
Coaches from his days at Weston-super-Mare and Exeter recall the drive of the Aston Villa striker set for an international debut
It is a little more than six years since Ollie Watkins scored a dozen minutes into his Weston-super-Mare debut, stepping off the bench to propel the Conference South’s bottom club to a 4-3 victory over Farnborough Town before 130 spectators. On Thursday the Aston Villa striker could make his England debut in a World Cup qualifier and this time millions will be watching, none prouder than those who helped his remarkable rise from Exeter City to the Premier League, via a six-month crash course in the sixth tier.

When an 18-year-old Watkins walked through the door at Weston, the part-time club had lost eight on the bounce and were staring at relegation. He signed on loan from Exeter alongside Matt Jay, one of his closest friends, in search of experience. “They were thrown in at the deep end,” says Ryan Northmore, Watkins’ manager at Weston. “I brought Ollie on, he ended up scoring and it just gave everybody a huge lift, it brought momentum and that 40 minutes he was on the pitch was the turning point for us. We never looked back. We were cut adrift but secured our safety with plenty of games to go and it was a monumental effort from everybody. We got over that finishing line and collapsed into a heap.”.....

Â