Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

33 minutes ago, birdman said:

Southgate loves hard working players plus you don't get any silly antics with Ollie. Glad he was selected as it will only benefit Villa. 

I’m delighted for him but how will it benefit Villa? Do you mean in terms of the clubs profile?

In the short term it just increases the chances of him getting injuries during the break. 

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Think it's good for us in the transfer market tbh. The more internationals you have, the easier it is to attract good players - especially young players who want to break into the England team.

Also it's great for Smith to be able to say to players like Konsa, Cash, Targett, Barkley that he can deliver caps if you perform for Villa.

But I agree, playing with England in itself is mostly just a distraction outside of major tournaments.

Agreed.  As you say, raises profile/attracts others/sends the right messages BUT probably not too damaging as I'd be surprised if he sees much game time this break.

I'd be surprised if he got a single minute to be honest, but when he's essentially our only striker, it's not going to do him any harm at all getting to spend a few days training with Harry Kane.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'd be surprised if he got a single minute to be honest, but when he's essentially our only striker, it's not going to do him any harm at all getting to spend a few days training with Harry Kane.

This can only help, yeah. Remember when Grealish came back from his first camp and said how much he learned.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Exactly. The best striker Watkins has trained alongside at this point in his career is Neil Maupay. I like Maupay but I bet you can learn a lot more from a few sessions watching Kane, Sterling, Rashford etc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m delighted for him but how will it benefit Villa? Do you mean in terms of the clubs profile?

In the short term it just increases the chances of him getting injuries during the break. 

Because he gets to see how others players train and operate. When you play along side top class players it improves your own game. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Think it's good for us in the transfer market tbh. The more internationals you have, the easier it is to attract good players - especially young players who want to break into the England team.

Also it's great for Smith to be able to say to players like Konsa, Cash, Targett, Barkley that he can deliver caps if you perform for Villa.

But I agree, playing with England in itself is mostly just a distraction outside of major tournaments.

I think it's an indication that villa are doing things right, we took a gamble on Watkins at that price, we've had full confidence in him always, coached him right treated him right played him right and now he's got an England call up

Says a lot about us and the culture at the club

Same with mings last season, we took the gamble, we showed the faith 

Konsa, Cash and Targett too, plus martinez and Luiz, we aren't signing established international players, we're giving players a chance and helping them get the caps, we should be using that as a selling point for the club 

5 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

Can we all please just take a moment to consider how big this is for Villa.

The striker position was one of our weakest positions last year and now the striker we brought in over the summer is in the England squad and may potentially make his England debut.

Has far exceeded my expectations of what a new striker could do in such a short amount of time - absolutely thrilled.

Baffling to me that some of our fans actually don't rate him.

5 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

Can we all please just take a moment to consider how big this is for Villa.

The striker position was one of our weakest positions last year and now the striker we brought in over the summer is in the England squad and may potentially make his England debut.

Has far exceeded my expectations of what a new striker could do in such a short amount of time - absolutely thrilled.

Best striker we've had for years. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Baffling to me that some of our fans actually don't rate him.

Wikipedia scouts

Only interested in the number of games played and the number of goals scored 

Don't understand what it is they're watching, try explaining how Watkins is a key player in how we've improved our defence and watch their puzzled expression 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Its still hard to believe we havent seen ollie play at Villa park in person.imagine how good he can be when he has the fans at villa park cheering him on?

I’d say half the reason for the overall good performances since lockdown has been us lot not being in there tbh. Still can’t wait to get back to a game though.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Wikipedia scouts

Only interested in the number of games played and the number of goals scored 

Don't understand what it is they're watching, try explaining how Watkins is a key player in how we've improved our defence and watch their puzzled expression 

He’s brilliant, I love him. I do worry sometimes he is doing TOO MUCH work and even though that helps our defence, he needs to save some of the energy for having an extra yard to burn off a defender or be at the crucial point. But he’s had a brilliant season and I think will go from strength to strength.

On 19/03/2021 at 23:42, KentVillan said:

Agreed with all apart from Barkley 

Wonder what he did to get club fines?

However, there was initially some confusion over what the phone call would be about.

“I got a WhatsApp message from our club secretary, Sharon Barnhurst, asking me to give her a ring,” he recalled in an interview with The Mirror.

“Two days prior to that, I’d spoken to her because she said, ‘I’m sorry, but you’ve received a club fine’ – it was just for a ­couple of small issues at the training ground.

1x1.png“Obviously, I thought it was about that again. Anyway, I got through to her and said, ‘Hi Sharon, you’re chasing me for this money, aren’t you?’.

“And she said, ‘No – I’ve got better news for you, you’ve been called up to the England squad’.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-ollie-watkins-england-20224437

3 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Wonder what he did to get club fines?

However, there was initially some confusion over what the phone call would be about.

“I got a WhatsApp message from our club secretary, Sharon Barnhurst, asking me to give her a ring,” he recalled in an interview with The Mirror.

“Two days prior to that, I’d spoken to her because she said, ‘I’m sorry, but you’ve received a club fine’ – it was just for a ­couple of small issues at the training ground.

1x1.png“Obviously, I thought it was about that again. Anyway, I got through to her and said, ‘Hi Sharon, you’re chasing me for this money, aren’t you?’.

“And she said, ‘No – I’ve got better news for you, you’ve been called up to the England squad’.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-ollie-watkins-england-20224437

"small issues at the training ground" is probably something petty like forgetting to chuck his dirty kit in the laundry bin or not putting weights back after using them.

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

"small issues at the training ground" is probably something petty like forgetting to chuck his dirty kit in the laundry bin or not putting weights back after using them.

I'm guessing using his phone when not allowed.

Â