Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

I said this after Burton....he needs the ball in front or to run on to and we don't play that way.

Too much long ball to him....could do nothing tonight...poor tactics by villa.

And thats regardless of playing against 10 men.

No it's not. They were so deep and had their whole team behind the ball. Our tactics don't involve telling the other team to give him space to run into. 

• Like 2

It is...you stretch 10 players...we didn't...everything was either a cross...or hoof down the line....6ft centre halfs loved that

You then create the space by stretching them

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

No it's not. They were so deep and had their whole team behind the ball. Our tactics don't involve telling the other team to give him space to run into. 

Play to feet...didnt do that all game...felt sorry for him.

I think once we have more pace to get in behind teams he will get more service. Tonight was always going to be difficult after the sending off with sheff sitting deep until the last 10m. I like him a lot. The ball sticks, his movement is great, he'll be fine. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bazmonkey said:

It is...you stretch 10 players...we didn't...everything was either a cross...or hoof down the line....6ft centre halfs loved that

You then create the space by stretching them

Play to feet...didnt do that all game...felt sorry for him.

But we did though. We played around them for ages, and there was no space. They played well. They're a good, hard working, well organised team. 

• Like 1

Didn't really have much service tonight but obviously though the early red didn't help as Watkins just had no space to work with, did get better towards the end when they opened up. Let's get some speedy wingers either side of him with Jack behind and hopefully he'll be looking good. 

10 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Precisely you can only play what’s in front of you and tonight that was 10 or 9 men behind the ball park in front of the 18 yard box , when they had 11 men he got behind which resulted in getting a man sent off

• Like 2

Faded - second half especially - over the course of the game, but did all the bits pretty well. Strong on the ball, able to hold it up, makes smart movements, spots the better option. 

Encouraging display. He’ll suit us well I think. 

While he was a bit in/out of the game (largely due to the way Sheffield set up after the sending off), I think he definitely showed flashes of the skill and potential he has. Lest we forget it was his very first match at this level. I'm excited to see how he progresses over the first 5-10 matches...I think he'll score quite a few. Also, how refreshing is it to see a striker that can actually hold onto the ball, dribble, and pass? Good riddance Samatta. 

He’s the kind of striker that thrives on a fast counterattacking game. His pace was the reason for the red card. 

When Sheffield went down to 10 and parked the bus Watkins was easy to mark out of the game. Davies was the more useful striker in those conditions, his strength can be used to hold up the ball and play a one two in tight areas. 

• Like 2

Â