Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just on the topic of his miss, am I the only one that thought he did everything he could with it? The ball was traveling to him at speed over a very short distance. He lifted his striking foot so that the risk of ballooning the strike was minimal.  The ball bobbled at the moment before impact and hit the top of his foot sailing over the bar. Had he assumed there would be a bobble, and raised his foot any higher, he risked scuffing it or doing an air shot as his foot would have been too high to connect if it stayed on the floor.

I get we were at Burton, but the pitch looked pretty good given it is the start of the season. Dont particularly hold the miss against him,  but just assuming he should score because he's so relatively close to the goal is a bit one dimensional for me.

If he says or has said he should have done better himself I'll retract the above. 

He showed his versatility today. Seeing him move to the wing to make room for Davis and allow Grealish to move into the middle was encouraging. He struggled to find space, but then there wasn't ever going to be any.

• Like 1

Just now, AVFC44 said:

Tough up against 3 centre backs but not a bad debut. Was always going to be hard to get the ball to him after the red card because Sheff Utd defended so narrow.

This. He still popped up here and there and was very close to scoring.

Â