Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

He’s not going to play to his potential until we get pace either side of him and Grealish back in behind. He’ll get **** off if he has to feed off scraps. Every time the ball went wide everything slowed down and it gave Sheffield time to organise themselves in the middle and gave him no space. They were sitting pretty deep under the circumstances and not all teams will but even so, we’re here again buying forwards and not playing to their strengths. Hopefully when Traoré can play and we buy another this will be sorted but we might as well play Watkins wide left, Grealish attacking midfield and Davis up front until we can get pace on the flanks.

The game wasn't really set up for him to succeed, he had to deal with 3 defenders most of the time, all taller then him and with the ball being played almost only in the air. When he did get space he managed to get a defender sent off and nearly scored a peach of a goal. I'm more than happy with his performance. 

• Like 3

Service was there but utd were solid for most of the game so will give them there dues. Watkins deserved a goal, it nearly came,but proof was there he was working hard to get one and they will.

I was enjoying watching him unlike previous strikers we have had, Watkins was refreshing site to see.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Not getting enough credit for drawing that red card.  His pace and positional know how forced Egan into fouling him.  Turned a hopeful long ball into an eventual 3 points. 

Considering the lack of service to him, i think he did as well as we could have hoped.

he effectively caused them to get a red card from him bursting through from that long ball form mings, he hustled and worked when required, he nearly scored a lovely curling shot from the corner of the box, his head didnt drop and he simply worked his socks off, he even drifted wide and deep at times to try and offer outs for players.

he wasnt spectacular at any specific moment, but his overall play and effort was excellent imo.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I thought it was a fairly average league debut tbh.

I still think he’ll come good but was nothing special on that showing. Then again, not always easy when a team parks the bus. 

Disagree. He was very busy, and I really liked his versatility. He ran in behind (for the red card), drifted out to the wings, attacked the box, and his hold-up and aerial play were fine as well. Has a good touch, great pace, and reads the game well. Think he'll look dangerous in all kinds of games and quickly become a fan favourite.

Can't really fault him - just difficult to make anything happen because Shef Utd were (understandably) parking the bus, and he wasn't getting as much service as he'd have liked.

I thought it was a decent performance, and lots of signs of quality that will become more consistent as he gels with his teammates.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Not getting enough credit for drawing that red card.  His pace and positional know how forced Egan into fouling him.  Turned a hopeful long ball into an eventual 3 points. 

This this this this this. If he hadn’t have been brought down, he’d have scored I reckon. Instead, he gets the foul, the red and arguably the three points. Would Davies, Wesley or Samatta have been in that position? Would they ****. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

This this this this this. If he hadn’t have been brought down, he’d have scored I reckon. Instead, he gets the foul, the red and arguably the three points. Would Davies, Wesley or Samatta have been in that position? Would they ****. 

Davis maybe, but not Samatta or Wesley. But this really shows Watkins qualities. Looking forward for more.

3 hours ago, ChinlessWonder said:

He’s not going to play to his potential until we get pace either side of him and Grealish back in behind. He’ll get **** off if he has to feed off scraps. Every time the ball went wide everything slowed down and it gave Sheffield time to organise themselves in the middle and gave him no space. They were sitting pretty deep under the circumstances and not all teams will but even so, we’re here again buying forwards and not playing to their strengths. Hopefully when Traoré can play and we buy another this will be sorted but we might as well play Watkins wide left, Grealish attacking midfield and Davis up front until we can get pace on the flanks.

I agree with this as much as jack can be dangerous on the left, if we can buy someone just as dangerous who doesnt slow the game down like Jack then I'm down for the signing.

Jack move back to middle buy a left winger and LW and Traore with the speed get up those flanks like lightning a d supply Watkins crosses faster than opposition defences can form up and tighten there defence.

We need speed down those flanks big time, Watkins need service before the slowdown happens or he will have a tough time. Our Wingers on both sides held onto the ball to much, they should release soon as they get there not hold onto it for like five or ten seconds. Every second counts the faster a winger arrives, the release, the cross the more complicated it is for opponents to deal with it and better for our attacking players scoring.

Considering how the game panned out. Them parking the bus and sitting deep it was always going to be difficult to get a goal.

Despite this every cross into the box he was sniffing in that six yard box, almost got on end of that deflected cross from Trez, drew the red card and also very nearly scored with a beauty. Would also have had a few assists if Jack had taken more care with a few chances

Â