Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

5 hours ago, useless said:

Some of criticism that Watkins is getting is reminding me of the criticism that Mings was getting a few weeks ago.

I was just about to post this. 

Hopefully Watkins wakes up a bit like Mings did.

The thing is, contrary to what I would have posted under Smith, I think he should be played as a wide forward in a new narrower system. 

12 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve not seen the Palace game so I can’t comment, but I’d say Watkins like Targett was, is struggling without Grealish. He took two defenders away giving Watkins so much more space to play into, meaning that even with a poor first touch he could still then get the ball under control afterwards. 

Targett had a superb game though. Think this thing about Grealish is being overplayed

45 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Targett had a superb game though. Think this thing about Grealish is being overplayed

Targett is a good player so of course he can have good games.

But he's good in the final third as well with his technique, and without Grealish finding him he doesn't get on the ball in half as many good attacking positions.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought Watkins was ok but watching motd he did give the ball away a couple of times which causes dangerous breaks. He try’s too much sometimes.

True. But he's used to being largely isolated when he receives the ball.  This new system will see him having a simple option more often than not and as that becomes instinctive I think we'll see him step up another gear.

• Like 1

Â