Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And incentive to be better. He knows he's on the cusp of a World Cup if he improves in his second PL season. 

This, it's a shame for Ollie and a weird decision for Southgate to make to only take two Strikers... But probably the best case outcome for Aston Villa

He has done remarkably well to get to where he is. All in his hands for the world cup summer now. Outscore all of England's strikers next season minus Kane and he gets into the team. Everton will be struggling next year so can't imagine DCL being as prolific 

• Like 1

I'm not surprised SG did this he's a tit. 

Ollie runs around for us in a Villa shirt most of the time feeding of scraps unless Grealish is playing, yet he scores a good decent amount.

So what does SG do, he takes the man who can feed Watkins and leaves the man who feeds off Grealish out.

Yeah I'm not impressed with SG and if we fail, I hope we end up with a new England manager because he's a complete plonker who misses the obvious.

Edited by Dave-R

2 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

He has done remarkably well to get to where he is

This x100. Many thought we might have been ripped off at £28-33m. Now we have an England striker (albeit not going to the Euros barring injury) at that price it looks cheap. Credit to him.

• Like 1

Funnily enough as soon as I saw that greenwood was out I feared for Watkins. Southgate seems to like his players that can cover different positions and with Saka covering everywhere, i thought it would mean we'd go with Kane, DCL, and Rashford. If we're chasing goals, given the shape we play under Southgate I just don't see where Watkins would ever get on. We're more likely to put Rashford in the middle and bring on someone who can deliver from attacking areas rather than take off a forward for a forward, or take off a central midfielder for Watkins. 

Disappointed for Ollie, but he’ll get other opportunities.

But also happy he will get a proper rest. Concerned for next season with all the players after last season and potential injuries without a proper break.

Gutted for him.

I hope that one of the (many) RBs gets a knock and has to drop out - and reckon Southgate will replace him with either Ollie or Ward-Prowse - showing that the squad was a popularity contest, and not based on balance and need.
And if it's Alexander-Arnold who gets the knock, I suspect Henry Winter will need therapy. I usually rate Winter as a journo, but he must have photos of TAA all over his wall.

I also hope that Maguire and Henderson don't make it, showing that taking injured players is just **** stupid.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

If he continues his trajectory of the last 3 years into next season it won't even be a conversation as to whether or not he goes to the world cup next year. 

It depends how many right backs are fit to be picked.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I be amazed if Rashford Sterling McGuire Henderson and 2 right backs don't start every game. 

Prepare to be amazed then, I would not be surprised, if the last two were not actually fit by the time the group games start. 

19 hours ago, El Zen said:

Ollie’s biggest weakness, his complete lack of experience at RB, is what has kept him out. Needs to have a look at himself and work harder at being a RB. 

He's played there for us before, someone should've told Sir Southgate that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thug said:

It’s a shame he’s not going, mainly because there’s only 2 strikers going.

4 right backs though.

No one ever won a tournament by scoring goals. Learn from the master. 

Happy World Cup GIF by Three Lions

15 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I'm not surprised SG did this he's a tit. 

Ollie runs around for us in a Villa shirt most of the time feeding of scraps unless Grealish is playing, yet he scores a good decent amount.

So what does SG do, he takes the man who can feed Watkins and leaves the man who feeds off Grealish out.

Yeah I'm not impressed with SG and if we fail, I hope we end up with a new England manager because he's a complete plonker who misses the obvious.

Who is SG?!

Ollie has gone from Brentford in the Championship to fringe England squad in one year which is pretty amazing stuff. With all due respect, I think some Villa fans are a tad deluded with their assertions that he should be in the Euro squad ...... its too soon and, personally, I wouldn't have him in my squad just yet.

If he progresses even half as much next year then he's a shoe-in for the next World Cup. 

Â