Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

16 hours ago, Exeter Fan said:

Are you convinced he will be you with and not Spurs next season? The blokes a legend and you've gone through the exact emotions Brentford did. They all said they overpaid him for us, we knew his quality and work ethic combined with the potential and we knew they (and you) had a bargain and they were skeptical just like you lot were when you signed him.. and now look. A villa legend in the making and an England International. The boys done us proud. Can't wait to have a Thatchers with him on his return to Newton Abbot, no doubt the soft lad will want a small bottle of bud as per.

You are stirring up a hornet's nest there and I can only wonder why? 🤔 I think he is very happy with us and unlike Brentford or yourselves for that matter, we would not be looking to sell him just to turn a profit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

It's brilliant that Ollie works so hard and that we as fans recognise how hard he works....

But how on earth is this a stand out quality for a professional athlete earning annual salaries over the course of a week. Why is 100% maximum effort not the standard for every professional footballer rather than the exception.

For the money they earn and the lifestyle they have, with fans and coaching staff and club infrastructure all set up to help them achieve, footballers should not have to be defined by how hard they work. Total Effort and hard work should be the standard!!

Screenshot_2021-05-26-14-47-01-35.jpg

• Like 2

The start of this thread is full of people (myself included) questioning the signing.

They were questioning it when we thought there was an 18m release clause, and downright ridiculing it when it transpired we'd have to pay more.

I did eventually come round after some ITKs from Brentford described his attributes, but still thought we were paying way too much.

Turns out,  whilst it may have been a gamble in terms of him not being proven at PL level, that gamble paid off and our owners knew what they were doing.

We should remember this lesson well this window.

• Like 1

of course he's going nowhere. Villa's main task is to keep Grealish. What sort of signal would it send to Grealish if the next most valuable player in the squad was sold?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

of course he's going nowhere. Villa's main task is to keep Grealish. What sort of signal would it send to Grealish if the next most valuable player in the squad was sold?

This is getting boring now, Grealish isn’t going anywhere he loves and has bought into the project and is also aware that we have ambitions owners that are not far off Abramovich wealth!

3 hours ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

Martinez is probably more valuable but there are no buyers out thwr at the minute. 

8 hours ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

Jack won't be sold either, but talking of transfers....

Have you got any more top young players for us like Ollie or Ben Chrisene, coming off your production line?  

• Like 1

Oh Pontus.

https://insidefutbol.com/2021/05/27/said-benrahma-and-ollie-watkins-were-fantastic-but-emotional-brentford-star/510010/

“Last year Said and Ollie were fantastic but they were emotional”, Jansson was quoted as saying by Brentford’s official site.

“When they had good days they were great and when they had bad days it didn’t quite work.

“This season we are a team of leaders.”

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Oh Pontus.

https://insidefutbol.com/2021/05/27/said-benrahma-and-ollie-watkins-were-fantastic-but-emotional-brentford-star/510010/

“Last year Said and Ollie were fantastic but they were emotional”, Jansson was quoted as saying by Brentford’s official site.

“When they had good days they were great and when they had bad days it didn’t quite work.

“This season we are a team of leaders.”

What a prick. Ideal scenario is Brentford come up then they release him on a free because he’s a word removed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

must have a decent chance. it sounded like when the squad was announced that it was always going to be a straight choice between the two as to who stays and who goes so he has to be in the final squad now

I think it's down to him or Saka.

Saka won't be trusted at left back ahead of Shaw or Chilwell but is an option at right wing. Can't see a tournament scenario where Ollie gets on the pitch ahead of Calvert-Lewin under Southgate. This is a man who brought on DCL ahead of Grealish at left wing.

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think it's down to him or Saka.

Saka won't be trusted at left back ahead of Shaw or Chilwell but is an option at right wing. Can't see a tournament scenario where Ollie gets on the pitch ahead of Calvert-Lewin under Southgate. This is a man who brought on DCL ahead of Grealish at left wing.

Left-wing is even more competitive than left-back though. Grealish, Sterling, Rashford and Sancho all play their best football there. Foden could play there too. 

EDIT: Just seen you said right-wing. Makes more sense - I thought Saka played LW though.

Edited by Cizzler

I think Saka is probably more likely to take Greenwood's place, as he's more of a like for like replacement for Greenwood at least in terms of him being someone who plays wide right with the ability to cut onto his left foot. Whereas Watkins will be seen as more similar to Kane and Calvert Lewin, and if you've already got two players of that type then why would you need a third.

Although I'd personally have Watkins over Calvert Lewin, as I see Watkins as the superior all round player.

Lingard and Greenwood both out. I think Saka and Watkins both go. Saka is so versatile he can play LB, LW, RW, CM. He won't play but a few injuries and he's a good option to have.

I think:

Greenwood, Lingard, Ramsdale, White, Godfrey, Ward-Prowse, TAA get cut.

I'd argue that JWP & TAA will be mistakes. Jack & Foden will be winning set pieces all over and them two could take full advantage but there we go.

So I reckon Ollie and Saka both make it in.

Also think White should go over Coady but don't think he will - and neither will play anyway.

Edited by HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think Saka is probably more likely to take Greenwood's place, as he's more of a like for like replacement for Greenwood at least in terms of him being someone who plays wide right with the ability to cut onto his left foot. Whereas Watkins will be seen as more similar to Kane and Calvert Lewin, and if you've already got two players of that type then why would you need a third.

Although I'd personally have Watkins over Calvert Lewin, as I see Watkins as the superior all round player.

So, you're taking 2 strikers to an international tournament? That's bold IMO. 

Â