Passing Time During The Pestilence

Xann

I used to moan about how little there is to do here (the Cayman Islands). Now I feel like a spoilt brat! This has at least altered my perspective for the better and I’ve never felt so fortunate to have a job I can still crack on with from home.

Another live offering from Tomorrowland on now...Tues 7th

Tomorrowland

Join the global connection and unite through the power of music.

Tune in and enjoy Kungs, Nicky Romero, Don Diablo and Steve Aoki LIVE from their homes, hosted by One World Radio's Adam K.

15h00 – KUNGS (Paris – France)
16h00 – NICKY ROMERO (Veenendaal – Netherlands)
17h00 – DON DIABLO (Amsterdam – Netherlands)
18h00 – STEVE AOKI (Las Vegas – USA)
Time in CEST.

START TIME:  09:00 EDT - 10:00 BRT - 13:00 GMT - 15:00 CEST - 18:30 IST - 21:00 CST

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spoony said:

I used to moan about how little there is to do here (the Cayman Islands). Now I feel like a spoilt brat! This has at least altered my perspective for the better and I’ve never felt so fortunate to have a job I can still crack on with from home.

I want to live there. Need a maid?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Life after the attack would initially be complete isolation.  In most cases staying at home was better than venturing out and searching out medical assistance that might not be there. The BBC still has a bunker next to Wood Norton Hotel in Worcestershire.   It used to be a “Training  Centre” for BBC technicians and is now a retirement village.  Assuming it remained operational they would broadcast radio to whatever was left of the nation.  I remember it been a mix of cheery music, Dad’s Army and emergency broadcasts.  In the bunker we had cards, chess sets and a few games.  On exercises the “lads” spent hours discussing which female members of the bunker we’d be repopulating the country with.   We often wondered if the mix of the bunker intentionally included a good mix of young and healthy people of both sexes.       

The bunker was the bump through the complex next to the tennis courts IIRC? I've been in the doomsday studio part, around when you were there, '89.

It was, and there still is a BBC training facility,  but anyone can pay and do courses these days. I think? There's some BBC technical admin too.

On 09/04/2020 at 14:02, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I’ve been jotting down some notes from my time in Civil Defence.   Its passed my time.  I hope it passes some of your time and doesn’t depress the hell out of everyone.
Note - Everything I’m writing about refers to the late 1980s & early 1990s and has long since been declassified and been in the public domain.

:snip:

It was interesting stuff but could be terribly depressing.  When I got a wife the thought of waving her goodbye as I disappeared into the bunker didn’t feel right.  So I hung up my doomsday computer.   A lot of the things I see happening now with CV19 are exactly the things we practised.   Everything I have seen is part of a well-rehearsed and practiced plan.  If we say the plan is 200 pages long we’ve got to page 25.  We’ll probably get to page 50.  We really don’t want to get to page 100 because that’s where we start digging mass graves and shooting looters with rubber bullets.   Page 150 is where we don’t even bother burying the dead and Martial Law allows summary executions.    

Probably the most interesting post I have ever read on Villatalk.  Thank you. 

• Like 1

No theme this week besides just a mix of songs that have fun to drum to(and he's sadly decided to mute his mic during the songs which takes something away from it all), but still it's a cool eclectic mix (he starts with a bizarre No Doubt song I've never heard before) and remains **** impressive.

20 hours ago, Xann said:

The bunker was the bump through the complex next to the tennis courts IIRC? I've been in the doomsday studio part, around when you were there, '89.

It was, and there still is a BBC training facility,  but anyone can pay and do courses these days. I think? There's some BBC technical admin too.

The whole site is built into the hillside. From the main road the BBC site is to the left, the hotel just ahead and the new retirement village is to the right. 

From memory the bump you are referring to was a decontamination area with showers, toilets, and guard room.  

• Like 1

Been offered a month of free classes in the martial arts that I practice, because my instructor says I have 'good character' and he has permission to train clients one on one. So I've been doing that.

Â