Passing Time During The Pestilence

Xann

Stark Industries

This evening, Wednesday 22nd April 2020 we are in for a treat. We can watch and actual SpaceX rocket launch Starlink satellites live from Cape Canaveral, Florida. Around 15 to 20 minutes later, the very same rocket and its payload of 60 Starlink satellites should be quite visible as it passes over the UK after launch.

Expect to see at least two bright objects very close together. Similar to what the Space Station looks like when it passes over, but slightly less bright. It may be possible to see some of the 60 satellites start to deploy as the group of objects pass over. A complete train of satellites looking like a string of pearls across the sky will probably occur later in the evening or tomorrow. More info on how to see this tight train of new Starlink satellites will be posted on social media, when there is more accurate timing information.

What Time?

The Starlink launch is expected at 20:30 BST. This may change so stay up to date on launch timings with @VirtualAstro on twitter and Facebook.

The final stage of the rocket and its cargo of satellites should be visible approximately 15 – 20 minutes after launch. So, start looking at 20:45 if the launch goes to plan

I won’t keep hogging the thread because the actual visibility is proving mixed to say the least.

But watching something launch in the U.S. and then see it fly over 20 minutes later, that could be cool.

• Like 1

On Friday night at 7.30 there is a live show on YouTube from The Ambassadors Theatre

All or Nothing The Mod Musical.

Got lots of good reviews. 

Edited by imavillan

33 minutes ago, imavillan said:

On Friday night at 7.30 there is a live show on YouTube from The Ambassadors Theatre

All or Nothing The Mod Musical.

Got lots of good reviews. 

@chrisp65 as much as I love musical theatre, and my father was always convinced I loved musical theatre too much. What I have seen of this its not for me, but it may be for you.  

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

There is a multiplayer online quiz app called Quiz planet that I’ve used with mates for killing a bit of time ... it’s the usual multi choice type quiz where the answers range from ridiculously easy to pure guesswork , but you get to compete in real time with friends and it doesn’t involve pen and paper and marking your own answers 

you can create a private party and play with friends 

Edited by tonyh29

Here’s something  that should appeal to everyone especially @bickster

This Saturday, YouTube Music will premiere an exclusive, one-time broadcast of the 1968 animated classic, Yellow Submarine, as a global, Sing-A-Long event. The film’s restored Sing-A-Long version, featuring the timeless music of The Beatles, includes song lyrics at the bottom of the screen for the world to sing along to. The film will stream live on The Beatles’ official YouTube channel on Saturday, 25 April at 9:00 am PST.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m still in recovery from going to see Cats back in 2017.

And so you should be. At school we used to occasionally go on class trips to local places - Solihull Ice rink, for example, to do stuff (Ice skating and messing about), or Drayton Manor Park, or wherever. One trip was to some theatre in Cov to see a "play". Ghastly experience. Put me off it for life. I was almost recovered 20 years later when a work colleague suggested a night out, go for a Curry in Manchester etc. This appealed to our Muslim mate, who knows some fo the restaurant people, so he came along. My idea was go for some beer, then Curry. What could be better? But Khaliq, the muslim friend and colleague, doesn't drink, so someone suggested we got to a theatre first, to make it an evening. Cue re-confirmation that theatre and anything associated, such as the no doubt even worse "musicals" are the devil's work. Another decade or two on, and I'm still not over it.

On topic, a cat video on the cats thread led me to watching videos of people renovating old knives and tools. It was ace. I need a lathe.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

And so you should be. At school we used to occasionally go on class trips to local places - Solihull Ice rink, for example, to do stuff (Ice skating and messing about), or Drayton Manor Park, or wherever. One trip was to some theatre in Cov to see a "play". Ghastly experience. Put me off it for life. I was almost recovered 20 years later when a work colleague suggested a night out, go for a Curry in Manchester etc. This appealed to our Muslim mate, who knows some fo the restaurant people, so he came along. My idea was go for some beer, then Curry. What could be better? But Khaliq, the muslim friend and colleague, doesn't drink, so someone suggested we got to a theatre first, to make it an evening. Cue re-confirmation that theatre and anything associated, such as the no doubt even worse "musicals" are the devil's work. Another decade or two on, and I'm still not over it.

To be honest, the only thing worse than sitting through a musical would be to do it needing to piss out the 4 pints you smashed right before it started. 

• Like 1

I’ve mentioned it before, but I’m short on stories so you’re getting it again. One of my all time heroes was at that performance of Cats. Awful awful show in teeny tiny little seats. The first half lasted about the same length of time Terry Waite was tied to a radiator, but less entertaining.

Anyway, at the interval, I stood up and cracked all my bones back in to place. A hero just behind me stood up, stretched and announced to his missus ‘well, that’s my lot love. I’ll be in the bar or stood outside at the end’.

Never came back.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

There is a multiplayer online quiz app called Quiz planet that I’ve used with mates for killing a bit of time ... it’s the usual multi choice type quiz where the answers range from ridiculously easy to pure guesswork , but you get to compete in real time with friends and it doesn’t involve pen and paper and marking your own answers 

you can create a private party and play with friends 

Thank you!

I've had friends taking turns trying to write their own quizzes and as you can imagine it's a **** disaster.

8 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Thank you!

I've had friends taking turns trying to write their own quizzes and as you can imagine it's a **** disaster.

Yep ... my wife did one with her friends using Kahoot and zoom that i joined with her ... round one name the songs ... except nobody could hear any of the songs ... Round 2 what song are these lyrics from ... excerpt no lyrics came up on the screen 

that was the point when it reverted to a zoom chat instead :)

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I bloody loved Cats both on stage and on screen you bloody rocket polishers

Mods! Are the usual rules for post on poster still in play during lockdown?

Cos this **** metrosexual **** bellend is getting it if I’m allowed one shot at it.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Mods! Are the usual rules for post on poster still in play during lockdown?

Cos this **** metrosexual **** bellend is getting it if I’m allowed one shot at it.

*uncrosses legs, turns off Taylor Swift, stops crying*

Thats really uncalled for. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â