Passing Time During The Pestilence

Xann

Boom! Saw them. Slightly thrown by spotting a lone satellite and following that for a while whilst 40 others tracked across in a line behind me!

Show starts again in just under 90 minutes.

• Like 1

Worth mentioning, on a serious note, that it really is worth looking at the night sky and drinking it in and committing it to memory.

Tonight’s ‘show’ was a line of 40. There are another 40 coming over later.

Space Ex alone intend to have 12,000 of them. You will never see a still starry night again and there is nothing you can do about it.

We had kind of been getting into stars n that since Xmas after I realised my go pro camera on night mode was good at photographing the constellations. I'm going to see if I can see the next pass and have a look tomorrow too. 

Mrsvm found a great programme called stellarium which is free to download I believe. Well worth taking a peek if you're interested and got the inclination. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

We had kind of been getting into stars n that since Xmas after I realised my go pro camera on night mode was good at photographing the constellations. I'm going to see if I can see the next pass and have a look tomorrow too. 

Mrsvm found a great programme called stellarium which is free to download I believe. Well worth taking a peek if you're interested and got the inclination. 

Tomorrow’s pass will be stronger than this next one, apparently.

I’m no expert, just following tweets from that evil twitter.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Either too late or too much cloud or the light pollution scuppered me tonight. But I'll be out there tomorrow. Hopefully a nice clear night. 

Can I save my 1 exercise ration till 10pm though? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

After a few weeks of my mates being useless, a few of them actually agreed to a video pub quiz tonight. It was good to see everyone and have a catch up and the quiz went down well. 

Our pub quiz is tonight (questions via email, collaboration via HouseParty). We keep in daily touch with our family and friends via WhatsApp texts, but it's definitely better when you can see them and you're all having a few beers. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Quelle heure, Monsieur? :)

8 minutes ago, Xann said:

Quelle heure, Monsieur? :)

They go over three times this evening.

Best / clearest one is 9:55pm

Goes on for quite a few minutes, it’s not a blink and you miss it sorta thing. In fact if you spot them early you’ll do well to still be interested by the end!

The chain going over at 9:55 are Starlink 5.

Also, if you’re lucky, you might also see Lyrid asteroids at the same time, but that’s obviously a lot more random.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a dull one then a bit of a gap then two bright ones not far apart, all on a similar corridor. 

Another one crossed their trajectory almost going the opposite direction.

Shall I take this to the boring thread?

1 minute ago, Xann said:

There was a dull one then a bit of a gap then two bright ones not far apart, all on a similar corridor. 

Another one crossed their trajectory almost going the opposite direction.

Shall I take this to the boring thread?

Yeah, it’s crap tonight, they’ve spaced them out and changed it around. Nowhere near as good as yesterday.

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, it’s crap tonight, they’ve spaced them out and changed it around. Nowhere near as good as yesterday.

It's supposed to be good tonight at 9pm....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, imavillan said:

It's supposed to be good tonight at 9pm....

Yeah, I’m giving it one more go this evening. I was lucky, I saw the decent show on Sunday night. But between a couple of us we persuaded lots of people to keep their kids up for an hour so they could watch.... then it was really disappointing. 

On the plus side, I did see a meteor and get subject to an alien abduction and anal probe. So not an entirely wasted evening.

• Haha 1

On 11/04/2020 at 06:43, Seat68 said:

At a gig. 

0-EB7022-F-5-A89-41-A8-B330-17-BD28-BF17

One for the boring thread, but I think I've just noticed you've got your Virgin Media modem/router lying horizontally.

The only space I have to put mine is on the fireplace hearth, but I can't stop my 11 month old knocking it over, pushing the buttons and pulling the wires. I hadn't thought about just lying it down on our TV unit where he can't get to it. I'm a silly sausage.

• Like 1

Ok, satellites are more visible tonight but still not a patch on Sunday’s pass.

Fix on Venus (its the brightest thing up there) in the West, it approx 90 degrees off to the left of that, they’re about 30 seconds apart.

Â