Passing Time During The Pestilence

Xann

My sudden interest was sparked by one little throw away nugget of info a week or so ago regarding Covid, older males, BMI over 40.

Doesn’t even matter if it was fact or not really, and I know BMI is a very blunt tool. But it was a nudge. I had absolutely no idea what mine was, turns out, depending on what day it is, I hover either side of 30 by a decimal point (a tenth, for @tonyh29 ).

Now I’m not even walking from the car to the office, i just wanted to make sure that turned in to 29, not 31.

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

How do you feel about Pounds, Shillings and Pence? 

My gripe was specific about the use of KM to measure distances  ,  unless the street signs  , speed limits , sat navs  etc where  you live are in KM , rather than miles then the only logical conclusion to come to is that my gripe is valid  :P

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

My gripe was specific about the use of KM to measure distances  ,  unless the street signs  , speed limits , sat navs  etc where  you live are in KM , rather than miles then the only logical conclusion to come to is that my gripe is valid  :P

More sour news: 

I’ve actually got my sat nav AND the main display console in the car set up for Km and kmph.

And the automatic gearbox is set up for economy mode acceleration.

I’m an absolute monster!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

More sour news: 

I’ve actually got my sat nav AND the main display console in the car set up for Km and kmph.

I’m an absolute monster!

you're dead to me stephen colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Mrs H does her sat nav in KM as well , but she  grew up in a country where street signs are displayed in that format  ,plus she irons my shirts ,so she is forgiven this trespass

• Like 1

Another evening of entertainment lined up. This time courtesy of Maricas and Boiler Room.

Live from 5pm gmt

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

Another evening of entertainment lined up. This time courtesy of Maricas and Boiler Room.

Live from 5pm gmt

i dont fall for it a second time. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

My sudden interest was sparked by one little throw away nugget of info a week or so ago regarding Covid, older males, BMI over 40.

Doesn’t even matter if it was fact or not really, and I know BMI is a very blunt tool. But it was a nudge. I had absolutely no idea what mine was, turns out, depending on what day it is, I hover either side of 30 by a decimal point (a tenth, for @tonyh29 ).

Now I’m not even walking from the car to the office, i just wanted to make sure that turned in to 29, not 31.

BMI is a totally ridiculous measure and I’m surprised it’s still used. I had one of those comprehensive well man health checks recently and my BMI was on the very edge of normal to overweight yet I’m 8.4% body fat. 

1 minute ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

BMI is a totally ridiculous measure and I’m surprised it’s still used. I had one of those comprehensive well man health checks recently and my BMI was on the very edge of normal to overweight yet I’m 8.4% body fat. 

Yes, the NHS site does give lots of caveats and exceptions and goes in to a little detail on ethnicities, body types, body shapes and ages etc., for whom its not a great device.

For me, as Mr plum average, it has it’s uses. 

• Like 1

Yesterday’s novelty news story, there are goats roaming around the streets of Llandudno.

Today, the police have to stop tourists arriving in Llandudno to see the goats.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

My BMI says I'm Obese.

Now I've put on a little bit of weight in the past year.

But I worked out to get to the very tope end of "normal" (so 24.9 basically) I'd have to lose about 4 stone. Which is insane.

• Like 2

It’s dissertation submission day for the eldest.

In an ordinary year at Swansea that would involve a photo holding said dissertation outside Singleton Abbey, hand it over, receive receipt and pre opened bottle of wine. Burtonesque drinking sesh.

This year, it involved pressing send and then having dad make you a cup of tea before going out for the allocated exercise session.

Hasbro has made all episodes of their 80's G.I Joe cartoon available in full on their Youtube channel.

It's absolutely god awful :D But it's nostalgia for those of us who grew up back when.

On 01/04/2020 at 10:22, chrisp65 said:

More sour news: 

I’m an absolute monster!

Dude you know there’s a boring thread right? 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

not sure about region locking but this is incredible

If anybody's wondering where to start on that list, start with The Wire. It's in my top 2 TV series of all time.

From 7pm tonight...

https://unitedwestream.co.uk/

Lots of DJ's, bands streaming live every night.

I hope Birmingham follow suit and do something similar.

United We Stream Greater Manchester

As the city-region, the nation and the world continues to battle against COVID-19, all our night-time venues have closed to help our NHS in the fight to stop the spread.
But with unified support, Greater Manchester is leading the fight back on behalf of all our restaurants, pubs, theatres and venues and will showcase our world class cultural talent with United We Stream.

Every night we will stream live bands, DJ’s, singers and performers in a UK first, to entertain, educate and enrich you in your home. United We Stream GM will be live everyday from 7pm onwards, with a donations page, where you can watch for free. All we ask is that you buy a ‘virtual ticket’ for whatever price you want, to enjoy the channel.

A US games site has one staff member who is a drummer (been in touring bands etc). This became well known when, as part of a charity event, he started doing annual 24hr marathons drumming on Rock Band (a series he'd worked on in a previous life) which used to raise crazy amounts of money. In the current climate, he's started doing weekly streams of a couple of hours. 

They've always been something weirdly compelling about these streams, its the combination of the music, which is a completely eclectic mix of stuff usually, with a theme more often than not (this week, songs from Nic Cage movies), but also the fact he's a really **** good drummer. He's playing these often insanely complex songs, with a real kit modified to play the game, and playing the game on the difficulty where you are just playing the song as if you were in the band, and doing them perfectly 9 out of 10 times.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

Â