Passing Time During The Pestilence

Xann

4 hours ago, choffer said:

I've come to the realisation that in future I'll no longer be able to lie to myself about all the things I'll do around the house if only I had the time.

Yup.  

The bulb in the cubby hole under my stairs has gone and I still have not replaced it . I have plenty of spare new bulbs and I use the cubby every day to store the dog's harness.

Still can't find the time .

The bulbs are about 12 ft from me and the cubby about 19 ft . 

Ain't happening.

We went for a walk. First time the wife's been out of the house/garden for over a fortnight (I've been food shopping twice). Didn't see many people, felt good. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There's a lot of stories about Houseparty being used to hack into phones. Which is a shame because I agree I liked the app.

Don't know how true they are. But might be worth being careful.

Houseparty, along with Zoom, is one of the video-calling services that has exploded in popularity since the Covid-19 outbreak. The app, which allows you to video chat while also playing online games with people you're speaking to, has become a household name – particularly among young people – over the last several weeks, with a reported two million downloads last week alone. But over the last 24 hours, Houseparty has become the centre of a viral misinformation claim. The company believe the smears are targeted, and they're offering $1m to whoever can find out who's behind them. 

Yesterday morning, a handful of unsubstantiated claims about Houseparty started to spread on Twitter, with users saying that there had been attempted “hacks” on other apps after they downloaded Houseparty. The rumour seems to have originated from one tweet, which has since been deleted, in which the user claimed that the Houseparty app tried to log into her Spotify account.

About an hour later, as the claim started gaining traction, another viral tweet came from user Megan Cassidy urging that people delete the app, saying it was hacking into other applications and online banking. Although the original tweet is now hidden behind a locked account, both tweets were screenshotted and shared on Snapchat, TikTok and Instagram Stories as a warning to others, with further text even suggesting links to Russia.  

Houseparty was quick to deny these claims, posting on their official Twitter account this evening that “All Houseparty accounts are safe – the service is secure, has never been compromised, and doesn’t collect passwords for other sites.” It also seems unlikely that an app owned by Epic Games, a gaming company worth over $15bn now most famous for owning global gaming phenomenon Fortnite, would try to gain information by unsuccessfully logging into teenagers’ Spotify accounts. 

Speaking to Forbes, security expert Lukas Stefanko also said that Houseparty was relatively safe compared to many apps, and that the only real risk to privacy was the fact that any user you add on the app can immediately start video chatting you if you are logged on unless you change your settings. 

New Statesman

• Thanks 1

On 29/03/2020 at 17:59, mottaloo said:

So my girlfriend just called me in a right state. She said she was waiting for train when she got the feeling she was being watched. Sure enough, she looked up and saw someone who she could only describe as a "mini maradona" making suggestive tongue movements whilst hollowing out a popular chocolate treat at this time of year, all from the window of the local bail hostel 

She said that was bad enough but his self-nipple rubbing whilst beckoning her to come nearer with his free hand was sickening. 

She told me that would be the last time she wears her jogging bottoms going to work as it seems to attract all manner of weirdos.

Just re-reading this, how many hands am I supposed to have?

1. Holding the creme egg while i tongue it

2. Rubbing my nipple

3. Beckoning your girlfriend.

:detect:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Just re-reading this, how many hands am I supposed to have?

1. Holding the creme egg while i tongue it

2. Rubbing my nipple

3. Beckoning your girlfriend.

:detect:

Well she said it "looked like a hand"....or like a baby's forearm 😳

• Haha 2

I’m trying to use this half arsed semi lockdown to do something positive. I’m hoping to get out the other side of it still having a job, but also having a boss that can see its perfectly possible to work from home more.

But I have realised I’m doing even less exercise than the token effort I was doing before. I was parking a little distance from work, I was walking to the shops lunchtime. Walking up the 4 stories to the office rather than using the lift. But now, if anything I could be even more sedantry.

Last couple of days I’ve been mapping out a bit of a walking / marching / jogging route. It’s about 3.5 km and it takes me 30 minutes. I’ve even worked out my stride / step length (780mm). But now I’m realising that even doing that is less than half the 10,000 steps I should be aiming at per day. So I think tomorrow, I’m going to try and ‘walk to work’ by doing my 3.5km loop and then walk home again at 5:00pm.

It’ll probably last as long as the weather’s dry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m trying to use this half arsed semi lockdown to do something positive. I’m hoping to get out the other side of it still having a job, but also having a boss that can see its perfectly possible to work from home more.

But I have realised I’m doing even less exercise than the token effort I was doing before. I was parking a little distance from work, I was walking to the shops lunchtime. Walking up the 4 stories to the office rather than using the lift. But now, if anything I could be even more sedantry.

Last couple of days I’ve been mapping out a bit of a walking / marching / jogging route. It’s about 3.5 km and it takes me 30 minutes. I’ve even worked out my stride / step length (780mm). But now I’m realising that even doing that is less than half the 10,000 steps I should be aiming at per day. So I think tomorrow, I’m going to try and ‘walk to work’ by doing my 3.5km loop and then walk home again at 5:00pm.

Say bollocks to the 10k nonsense for a kick off. Find the right thing for you.

My point is that I could say that I'm doing x or y and I've lost 30kgs but that wouldn't necessarily work for you - though I can definitely say I'm more fit that I was!

I don't think people should be as worried about being sedantary as they are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

KM ... grrrrrr

Something else to kill time during the pestilence would be to learn imperial measurements of distance  :)

weather was good for a while so I was doing 5 miles walking a day , last 2 days I’ve walked to the fridge and back about 16 times  but hopefully we get my walking shoes on again tomorrow 

Edited by tonyh29

Ah yes, 12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, 1760 yards to a mile. So much simpler than metric.

Buying petrol in litres and judging cars on miles per gallon.

Nah, metric all day long. I even weigh in kilo’s and I’m 1880mm tall

20 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Two walks per day, citizen?!

They’re using a police helicopter here to ‘monitor’ people using Barry Island beach and the country park. Both within a short walk from here so thoroughly legit destinations. I can’t imagine the cost of it, to basically film joggers.

So it’s my own little tiny kick against the pricks. I use it to march past a few convenience stores along the route, if there’s no queue I’ll nip in and buy a loaf of bread or milk or whatever as the opportunity arises. If there’s a queue I just Dionne Warwick. Got milk at the first shop yesterday and had to do the remaining 2K basically carrying weights!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

KM ... grrrrrr

Something else to kill time during the pestilence would be to learn imperial measurements of distance  :)

Jacob? Is that you? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Ah yes, 12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, 1760 yards to a mile. So much simpler than metric.

Buying petrol in litres and judging cars on miles per gallon.

Nah, metric all day long. I even weigh in kilo’s and I’m 1880mm tall

But I would walk 804.672 km
And I would walk 804.672 more
Just to be the man who walks a thousand six hundred and nine point thirty four km
To fall down at your door

case closed :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Just to be the man who walks a thousand six hundred and nine point thirty four km

Relying on Scotland yet again.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

How do you feel about Pounds, Shillings and Pence? 

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

When you're at home for the other 22/23 hours of the day, getting 10,000 steps in at the moment is very difficult. 

I went on a massive walk in Sutton Park on Sunday (6.2 miles according to my phone). Took us about 2 hours. And it was only just over the 10k steps.

I think if you're getting about half of that done in one walk/run at the moment you've done alright.

I think exercising outside at the moment is far more to do with your head than your body to be honest. 

• Like 1

Â