Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

do clubs have to prove the positive cases? i find it astounding that man u are unable to field a side like they are suggestin

seems bizarre that any games are going ahead though to be honest

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

do clubs have to prove the positive cases? i find it astounding that man u are unable to field a side like they are suggestin

They probably ‘only’ have 20 top players available out of their 25 man squad.  But it’s Man Utd, they probably run the PL board who makes these decisions.

Should just play every game when they can.

If Villa and Burnley only have a few cases then play it. Who's to say if its rescheduled either team won't have 10 cases when it's due to be played? 

If 4 games are delayed into Jan, that gives an advantage to the likes of Newcastle who will be able to make signings, compared to a Burnely / Norwich. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, tomav84 said:

seems bizarre that any games are going ahead though to be honest

14 hours ago, ender4 said:

They probably ‘only’ have 20 top players available out of their 25 man squad.  But it’s Man Utd, they probably run the PL board who makes these decisions.

From the PL handbook:

Following the issue of an Implementation Notice, the Board will only permit the rearrangement or postponement of a League Match in exceptional circumstances, which will be judged on a case-by-case basis.

However, by way of guidance to Clubs: i. Permission will not be granted to postpone a League Match where the applicant Club has 14 or more Players listed on its Squad List available

There's absolutely no way some of these teams don't have 14 players available, but the "case-by-case" copout will let the PL do what they like on a whim

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

From the PL handbook:

There's absolutely no way some of these teams don't have 14 players available, but the "case-by-case" copout will let the PL do what they like on a whim

wow didn't know that was the PL rule too. saw that was the rule for EFL clubs. so basically they're making it up as they go along

3 hours ago, brommy said:

I wonder which PL clubs are already 100% vaccinated?

From the articles I've read Wolves are the 1st and only so far to be fully vaxxed. Only 68% of PL players are double jabbed, far lower tan the other main leagues of Europe.

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yes. I’m aware that some people will still catch it after vaccination

I think this is the crux of the issue.  I got it and was double vaccinated.  I felt fine just lost taste and smell for a few days.  In any other time I would have carried on as normal but rules are rules and you have to spend 10 days in isolation.

I would have gone to work, played 5 a side and carried on like normal if i had the choice.  I think most footballers would too. Just they are not allowed.

We do not know how bad the players are and without the jabs they maybe worse who knows but no one is to blame.

There will come a time when the Government will just lift the isolation rules and it will be upto individuals.  

Get vaccinated feel like a cold or run the risk of feeling worse I think it will be that simple.  Life goes on.

I will add my Dad before vaccinations got Covid and was hospitalised for 3 weeks in a coma and so on.  Fine now but I believe that is the difference between taking the jabs and not in some people.

8 hours ago, brommy said:

I wonder which PL clubs are already 100% vaccinated?

Liverpool are supposed to be close though they have a few players that support Bolsaneros policies. I think Smith mentioned we were high up before when the South American players wanted to travel 

Edited by Zatman

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

From the articles I've read Wolves are the 1st and only so far to be fully vaxxed. Only 68% of PL players are double jabbed, far lower tan the other main leagues of Europe.

Percy appears to contradict this.

Thought this was very relevant..

It appears this argument is now hitting the players too. Comments from the Burnley Chairman basically saying Prem players should find a new career if they refuse the jab. A lot apparently won't have it likely due to the alarming rise in the number of deaths and heart issues in atheletes & footballers after having had the jab the World over. All researchable on online for those who want balance. This bizarrely does not get covered in the report however.

CLICKY

QUOTE: Burnley owner Alan Pace reckons that footballers who choose not to get vaccinated should look for new jobs, after the Clarets’ game against Aston Villa was called off on Saturday.

Pace, who had been making his way to Villa Park on Saturday morning before the game was confirmed as being postponed by the Premier League a little over two hours before kick off, has been left frustrated this past week; Burnley’s game with Watford in the week was also called off.

Coupled with their recent meeting with Tottenham being called off because of inclement weather and a pitch that wasn’t fit for football in the snow, it’s left the Clarets with quite a backlog of games to fulfil.

Pace is not amused and believes that there is an obligation for footballers to be vaccinated if it is in the interests of everyone else.

READ: Premier League release lengthy statement after Villa v Burnley is called off

READ: Jack Grealish makes frank Villa admission after leaving for Man City

“It worries me for a number of different reasons but these are personal choices for people,” Pace told the Sun. “It can’t be, though, that you put everybody else at risk.

“If they choose not to get vaccinated, then they may have to choose a different career.

“Freedom to choose something different doesn’t mean you get the same rights and opportunities given to you if you choose to do something that’s not in the best interests of everyone else.”

That's interesting - the league are currently meeting to decide whether to upset Sky/BT or Amazon - it looks like from that tweet they'll go for Amazon.

If the 28th, 29th and 30th games go, then Amazon will lose half of their entire programme for the season - they'll be wanting a full refund on that - but Sky/BT might be quite happy about it which might help the league in the next round of rights negotiations. 

I thought they'd go the other way and that the streaming/subscription route was the future - so it's fascinating to see which way they'll go on this.

Ah, public health eh?

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If the 28th, 29th and 30th games go, then Amazon will lose half of their entire programme for the season - they'll be wanting a full refund on that - but Sky/BT might be quite happy about it which might help the league in the next round of rights negotiations. 

Well, Amazon will still get to stream those games when they do a re-arranged schedule for that gameweek.  Plus i would expect they offer them a few extra non-televised games to show as a sweetener (assuming the Sky/BT contract allows this).

46 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought they'd go the other way and that the streaming/subscription route was the future - so it's fascinating to see which way they'll go on this.

Maybe they're planning to do what everyone else says they should do and bringing it in house and streaming it themselves rather than through Amazon

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Maybe they're planning to do what everyone else says they should do and bringing it in house and streaming it themselves rather than through Amazon

But if they are, they'd surely want to use Amazon as their test pilot and pay close attention to the numbers?

As @ender4 says, they'll get those games anyway when they're rescheduled, but they won't get the exclusivity they've got over a three day period at the end of the month when the Premier league is owned by Amazon for three days.

It's an awkward piece of timing for the league when they find themselves having to match public health concerns with the only two periods in the calendar when the league is completely split between broadcast models. It'll be putting a big wrinkle in their decision making process.

I'm pretty sure Jeff has a louder voice at today's meeting than Thomas Tuchel.

• Like 1

Â