Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

9 minutes ago, useless said:

I think signing players from the championship is fine, there are players from that divison that are better than what we have, would improve us and have the potential to be very good premier league players, but as well as those we could with adding some with a bit more pedigree, the type where there's no question as to whether they can perform at the highest level because they've already done it, and have some experience of what it takes to have relative success, such players don't have to be megastars either, someone like Nzonzi probably fits the criteria and would have made a big difference to us this season.

True.  Good players can come from pretty much anywhere.  Last summer we signed from Europe, from the Championship, from the Premier League and some have been better than the others regardless of where they came from.  I just hope we are a bit more flexible when it comes to loaning players in.

53 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

Agreed mate. We could do with 3 quality players to improve the starting 11 and then maybe 1 or 2 of the better players from the so called weaker leagues that don’t have to slot straight into the first 11 and instead have time to adjust to the club and players, a bit like Leicester have done with soyuncu and Justin, they have been given a season to get to know the club and soyuncu stepped up to fill the hole from slab head and Justin will likely do the same should chillwell leave.

I agree with you 100% !! Having said that it requires solid scouting to pick the right prospects to ease in to the team.

By the way, Justin can play left or right back & will almost certainly fill in for right back Pereira who is out with knee ligament damage. 

• Thanks 1

Ricardo Pereira is another good example of reasonably proven top level player, he'd looked good in the world cup and was a regular in Porto. Didn't realise he was a regular at Nice aswell so you're talking good level of experience and only 24 when Leicester signed him.

When you think about it our 2015 foreign intake was of a much higher quality level than what what we signed last summer and also more experience given likes of Gana and Ayew had played in CL.

It was a shame we were in such a mess at that time and had lost 3 key players from the starting 11 as that was a clever strategy but in typical Villa fashion it resulted in our worst top flight season in decades.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Ricardo Pereira is another good example of reasonably proven top level player, he'd looked good in the world cup and was a regular in Porto. Didn't realise he was a regular at Nice aswell so you're talking good level of experience and only 24 when Leicester signed him.

When you think about it our 2015 foreign intake was of a much higher quality level than what what we signed last summer and also more experience given likes of Gana and Ayew had played in CL.

It was a shame we were in such a mess at that time and had lost 3 key players from the starting 11 as that was a clever strategy but in typical Villa fashion it resulted in our worst top flight season in decades.

Problem then was we had a toxic dressing room. We didn’t get it right with the defenders. Amavi’s early injury. No target man nor wingers. 

The season before that we had:

Vlaar, Delph, Benteke. Jack coming later in the season, Cleverly weren’t doing bad either. So basically we had an good spine, and a striker that can change things single handly.

While when we went down, we only had promising midfielders. All of them were new to the PL.

This season atleast we have:

Heaton, Mings, McGinn and Jack as a spine for the team. That gave the chance for others to show some quality. Such as Targett, Guilbert, Engels, Nakamba..etc

Yes it wasn’t on a regular basis but still showed that we have some quality. I think if we had Samatta earlier in the season with addressing losing after have the lead things would’ve been much different. Infact I won’t go back to all of that, if we’ve just hold the draw against Spurs we’d have done much better in the next two games. Lose and lose until it becomes a habit. Keep winning and it becomes a habit too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Kurt Zouma will be available for 25 million. He could be a good fit if stay up, Spurs are linked but cant see Chelsea wanting to do business with them

Good shout, he’d be a great signing 

I've never thought he's been the same since his bad injury in his first season for Chelsea. Was pretty poor at Stoke in the year they went down when they were awful defensively. Seems to have been better at Everton but again their general defensive record was close to ours up to January.

If that's the amount they'd want I'd pass.

Edit: For some reason I thought he was at Everton this season, meant 18/19.

Edited by VillaChris

4 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

IF we stay up, then I hope, as Chelsk have bought Werner, then Hudson-Odi or Pulisic might be available, the kind of signings we should be making

Players who just signed 125k a week deals and champions league stalwarts?

Remind me of the past 10 years please.

6 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

IF we stay up, then I hope, as Chelsk have bought Werner, then Hudson-Odi or Pulisic might be available, the kind of signings we should be making

Hudson-Odoi only recently signed a new 5 year contract so they clearly have faith in him and Chelsea only signed Pulisic in the Summer so I don’t think either of them will be available. I think that Ruben Loftus-Cheek might be available, I’d love him here

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Pulisic is 50 Million plus & Hudson Odoi is 30 Million plus and both are 100 plus a week ! 

• Like 1

Wasn't there a rumour we were targeting Ross Barkley?

He's a bit like Shelvey for me. Periods of good form when you think he's going to step up a level then something goes wrong and he's out of the team for months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

He's a bit like Shelvey for me. Periods of good form when you think he's going to step up a level then something goes wrong and he's out of the team for months.

Oh God no. He's a complete rocket polisher. 1 good game in 10.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

if what happened with Hudson Odoi is true he will be more likely in Mean Machine than Premier League.....not a hope of Pulisic coming here

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Man. United being linked to Donny Van Der Beek.

Can't see them going for Grealish if they're signing him.

I think any half decent player would be mad to go to Man Utd at the moment. 

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Good god know. Jack Rodwell mk. 2. 

That Aaron Hickey kid from Hearts seem to be linked to a host of big clubs.

Is he any good and is he someone we could/should go for? At only 17 he'd be an interesting signing and someone who could compete with Targett at LB rather than Taylor. But who'd still not demand to start.

On 06/06/2020 at 22:18, sir_gary_cahill said:

Hudson-Odoi only recently signed a new 5 year contract so they clearly have faith in him and Chelsea only signed Pulisic in the Summer so I don’t think either of them will be available. I think that Ruben Loftus-Cheek might be available, I’d love him here

Good player ruined by injuries, missed all of this season

Saw Palace fans debating signing him on twitter last week, they've had him on loan before so it's an easy link, they went in to more details about what's wrong with him, really didn't sound good, someone's copping him for £20m and £80k a week only to watch him go the the way of wilshere 

• Thanks 1

I imagine it takes a bit of mental strength for these kids coming up through the academies of the big clubs and then at the final stage not quite making it after getting the odd chance or 2 and then getting a transfer to some smaller club where you get a big contract and is seen as that guy from Chelsea, Plop, Manure or whatever.

Unless you get your head straight any small setback, being injuries or something else and I can see it going downhill fast.

• Like 1