Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's where our management structure comes in

If we want them to stay and play next season then we have say no and then manage the players or at the very least price them accordingly, no one is paying £20m for Luiz or £40m for mcginn 

I truly believe that suso has built a team that will largely stay together, maybe not happily but that's another thing 

I dunno, I can see a post-Sherwood/Garde era style breakup 

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't know... so tell me.

I'm kinda guessing here but....

He's an unbelievable player on football manager. So, I presume a football manager player would know.

• Thanks 1

Apparently we lost 11-1, Vassilev with our consolation goal. There's a report on the official website but it doesn't confirm the scoreline...

"Aston Villa continued preparations for the resumption of the Premier League season by completing two training exercises alongside Leicester City on Wednesday. The midlands neighbours participated in two 11 v 11 sessions, one at Villa Park in the afternoon before a different group of players benefitted from another at King Power Stadium in the evening."

Edit: Seems like the 11-1 scoreline isn't accurate... When I saw that we'd played them twice I thought that it might have been the aggergratgeagedte scoreline, but apparantly won one of the games 4-0 and lost the other 1-0.

Edited by useless
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't know... so tell me.

FM wonder kid, will join pretty much any team in the top 5 leagues for around £2.5m and low wages and be the star player after a couple of years 

Paper talk is the Manchester clubs fighting over him but I'm not sure he'd get game time, especially at city 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I dunno, I can see a post-Sherwood/Garde era style breakup 

That's the credit I give suso

I don't think these guys have done enough to get the big moves away, which is why we are where we are

The previous breakup was good players at a rotten club, we weren't as bad as our points tally suggested, it was just no one gave a **** 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That's the credit I give suso

I don't think these guys have done enough to get the big moves away, which is why we are where we are

The previous breakup was good players at a rotten club, we weren't as bad as our points tally suggested, it was just no one gave a **** 

IMO we shouldn't be giving Suso praise for signings players not good enough to keep us up, and not good enough for anyone to want.

Not following you. Do you mean the mindset of players signed? None seem like dicks no, not at all. Not sure some of them have the drive required though. Forget the rubbish ones, there's huge question marks over the talented players like Targett, El Ghazi, Luiz. It was a poor poor summer and it's a massive shame because it's going to cost us keeping Jack Grealish. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

IMO we shouldn't be giving Suso praise for signings players not good enough to keep us up, and not good enough for anyone to want.

Not following you. Do you mean the mindset of players signed? None seem like dicks no, not at all. Not sure some of them have the drive required though. Forget the rubbish ones, there's huge question marks over the talented players like Targett, El Ghazi, Luiz. It was a poor poor summer and it's a massive shame because it's going to cost us keeping Jack Grealish. 

I mean that he's had to assemble a squad with the knowledge that going down was always a possibility and if we were to go down he has players who will stay and help us yoyo rather than leave

He's identified player turnover as a thing that killed us both going down and coming up so put in a safety net for it 

I think that if we go down the majority of the squad will stay and there will be no excuses for not being very strong in the championship, if we stay up then at least some of these players should get better (konsa, Luiz, Nakamba, maybe even Wes) 

That's not an easy balance, suso gets thrown under the bus too easy 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I mean that he's had to assemble a squad with the knowledge that going down was always a possibility and if we were to go down he has players who will stay and help us yoyo rather than leave

He's identified player turnover as a thing that killed us both going down and coming up so put in a safety net for it 

I think that if we go down the majority of the squad will stay and there will be no excuses for not being very strong in the championship, if we stay up then at least some of these players should get better (konsa, Luiz, Nakamba, maybe even Wes) 

That's not an easy balance, suso gets thrown under the bus too easy 

That's a positive outlook which I admire but disagree with.

For example there's no way he signed Marvelous over someone he thought was a better player for a similar price because Marv would stay should we go down.

I just think sign the best players you can within your budget, we didn't do that.

Suso filtered what agents sent his way and signed plenty of sub-standard players for far too much money. Trez, Wes, Targett, Konsa and Engels for over £60m? Silly silly spending.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

Apparently we lost 11-1, Vassilev with our consolation goal. There's a report on the official website but it doesn't confirm the scoreline...

"Aston Villa continued preparations for the resumption of the Premier League season by completing two training exercises alongside Leicester City on Wednesday. The midlands neighbours participated in two 11 v 11 sessions, one at Villa Park in the afternoon before a different group of players benefitted from another at King Power Stadium in the evening."

Edit: Seems like the 11-1 scoreline isn't accurate... When I saw that we'd played them twice I thought that it might have been the aggergratgeagedte scoreline, but apparantly won one of the games 4-0 and lost the other 1-0.

I don’t read too much into friendly results but losing 11-1 would be a tad alarming 

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Suso filtered what agents sent his way and signed plenty of sub-standard players for far too much money. Trez, Wes, Targett, Konsa and Engels for over £60m? Silly silly spending.

Based on last year's transfer to the PL pick a RW, striker, LB and 2 x CBs who have played better for less whilst trying to stay realistic (so no angelino to man City cos he was never coming here) 

One of them will be Cahill for £0 

Not easy to do even with hindsight 

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Based on last year's transfer to the PL pick a RW, striker, LB and 2 x CBs who have played better for less whilst trying to stay realistic (so no angelino to man City cos he was never coming here) 

One of them will be Cahill for £0 

Not easy to do even with hindsight 

Why only transfers to the PL? That's killing my fun. No one else had to sign at least 10 players, they already all had squads better than our 8 or 9 men or whatever we had left :lol:

What about players that were achievable and moved for these prices? I'm doing it anyway, you can't stop me. 

ST - Osimhen from Charleroi £10m      We signed Wes for double the money from the same league, horrifying

LB/RW - Skov from Copenhagen £9m

LW/RW - Kostic from Hamburg £5.4m

I'll leave Konsa in for £12m as I'm doing OK and I like him. Can switch him out for Cahill I suppose.

CB - Koch from Freiburg for anything under £25m to stay under the £63m those lot cost.

All gettable in July last year, all a lot better than what we're stuck with. I've cherry picked there, but there was many alternative ways to spend the £120m we have and it was possible to have been comfortable this year with a base of Heaton, Mings, McGinn and Grealish. As it is, we're likely going down mostly because of recruitment IMO. The manager definitely has faults but has been given little to no chance this season.

• Like 1

Will start another thread for it in the morning as a fun game because I'm interested in trying to do it

"gettable" doesn't work for me though, use real transfers from across europe last summer + hindsight and do over our transfers 

Would be impressed if someone can get Danny Ings in there without Cahill being one of the CBs

• Like 1

Given the way we've been at the back since xmas I'd have been reasonably happy picking up someone like Pontus Jansson. Didn't Brentford sign him for only about 5m? Only 2m less than what Hause cost so very much would've been in the lower end of our transfer business. Questions marks over whether he'd have stepped up given he didn't play a huge amount for Torino when he was there but he's the type who'd have become a crowd favourite seeing as we've done well with Scandinavian CBs down the years and he'd have given us some nastiness aswell at the back. Was starting for Sweden at last World cup aswell and they were typically solid at the back.

Considering we signed all the CBs in the summer it's a bit odd we didn't prioritise signing an experienced international standard CB to replace one in Chester once we realised his body wouldn't cope playing premier league. We could've still got in Konsa OR Engels as a long term development signing. Hause was just to add cover for CB and LB and very cheap.

Edited by VillaChris

40 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Given the way we've been at the back since xmas I'd have been reasonably happy picking up someone like Pontus Jansson. Didn't Brentford sign him for only about 5m? Only 2m less than what Hause cost so very much would've been in the lower end of our transfer business. Questions marks over whether he'd have stepped up given he didn't play a huge amount for Torino when he was there but he's the type who'd have become a crowd favourite seeing as we've done well with Scandinavian CBs down the years and he'd have given us some nastiness aswell at the back. Was starting for Sweden at last World cup aswell and they were typically solid at the back.

Considering we signed all the CBs in the summer it's a bit odd we didn't prioritise signing an experienced international standard CB to replace one in Chester once we realised his body wouldn't cope playing premier league. We could've still got in Konsa OR Engels as a long term development signing. Hause was just to add cover for CB and LB and very cheap.

Would have been exactly the sort of bastard we've lack.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Will start another thread for it in the morning as a fun game because I'm interested in trying to do it

"gettable" doesn't work for me though, use real transfers from across europe last summer + hindsight and do over our transfers 

Would be impressed if someone can get Danny Ings in there without Cahill being one of the CBs

All of mine were transfers except Koch sir! 

• Like 1

Its all hindsight...……… it really is; as at the time no one was really complaining apart from us not signing a 2nd striker...……….. 

But I do aggree - we could have spent wiser...…….. there were some good players available in the summer who could have done us a solid job, kept us up, and worst case given us the best team in the championship should we have gone down

I think Pontus Jansson as mentioned above...….. I also really liked Hegazi at Albion - they could have made a good pairing at probably less than £10M - also up until July last year Kieran Gibbs had a £3m release clause at Albion.   He would have been a far better and proven bet than Targett.   The best player I saw play against us in the championship last season was Joe Allen at Stoke.  Id have taken him in our squad as well.  Then we could have spent some proper money on the wingers and strikers and I think wed have stayed up without being in serious danger...……… and built from there...……… 

Could we have coped with our three goalkeepers for the season?? Steer, Nyland, the other international we spent £8M notes on and never played

as for wingers and strikers, id have looked at Ryan Kent, Harry Wilson, I read In summer Viktor Fischer wanted another crack at the premier league as he felt he moved here too young a few years back...………. Strikers erm….. Mitrovic maybe, Giroud before he got back in favour, 

Im sure a lot of people would turn there noses up at those names,  but theyd have been solid pro's for us to stabilise us in the premier...……. and probably for nowhere hear as much cash outlay

• Like 1

Well I was pretty adamant last summer that we overspent on Targett, Trez and especially Wesley, and I still stand by that.

Also thought we overspent on Mings given his injury record and that he was 5th choice at Bournemouth but even thou he's been uneven he's lived up to that price tag.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

All of mine were transfers except Koch sir! 

The big issue is premier league clubs get ripped off. If you are selling to a prem club you put an extra 5 mil on your asking price and even more for a club that has to buy loads of players. We needed to get most of the squad in quick and early which we did. I personally think that the business we did over the summer was quite good. Yes we are struggling but I think the injuries to Grealish, Mings and mcginn has been what has done us in.

Mings's injury could not have happened at a worse time if he was fit we probably would have won at least one against soton, Watford (and another team who I'm forgetting). These were must win games and one of our key players was out injured. I also think the injury to Heaton and Wes was brutal as well. If Heaton wasn't injure I think we would have loaned in another winger or defender probably on cheaper wages.

I also think that that Wes, Guilbert, El Ghazi, Konsa, Hause and Luiz will all get substantially better as time goes on. Like all the teams at the bottom we got screwed by injury luck. When Watford were at the bottom Troy Deeney was out, Bournemouth Josh King, Norwich had serious injury troubles with defenders and Keepers. Hopefully with mcginn back we will have enough to stay up. 

• Like 1